Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FARLEYcommak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Statistics homework!
    Okay, here is the problem I'm stuck on

The heights of women aged 20 to 29 follow approximately the N(64, 2.7) distribution. Men the same age have heights distributed as N(69.3,2.8). What percent of young men are shorter than the mean height of young women?

I have been trying to figure out where to even begin and I have no clue! If someone can show me how to solve this that would be great!!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 22, 2008, 09:16 AM
    You know that the mean height of women in this sample is 64. To determine what percentage of men who are shorter than that, you first o determine what the z-score is for men whse heihgt is 64. Z-score is found from:

So now you look up the percentage of the normal distribution that is 1.9 standard deviations or more from the mean. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

About Statistics! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sorry! I can not find anywhere to post my question about Statistics, so I decided to post this in Accounting! If this is not suitable for this Box, please let me know. My question is about constructing a Box-Whisker Plot in Statistics. How do we draw whiskers when the Mean is outside the Box...

Statistics [ 1 Answers ]

12) A metropolitan bus system sampler's rider counts on one of its express commuter routes for a week. Use the following data to establish whether rider ship is evenly balanced by day of the week. Let = 0.05. Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Rider 10 34 21 57 ...

Statistics [ 2 Answers ]

I need help with these two 2nd year university statistics problem: Q.1 Let the discrete random variable of Y have a conditional uniform probability distribution on {1,2,. x}; ie: P(Y=y|X=x)=1/x, y=1,2,. x. Determine the unconditional mean and variance of Y in...

Homework language homework [ 1 Answers ]

You see well I have this homeworkassighmentthat isdo first thing in the morning so all I ask is that you write down some words in azorean langugauge! Words: Pencil Sharpener Paper Crayon Pen Binder

Statistics [ 2 Answers ]

I have two questions that I just can't figure out correctly. 1. If x-bar is 4.725 and R-bar is 0.0096, and n=4, then the UCL sub R and LCL sub R are? A. 0 and 0.022 B. 0.022 and 0 C. 0.563 and 0.563 D. 0.022 and 1.00 2 If x-bar is 4.725 and R-bar is 0.0096, and n=4, then the UCL sub x-bar...

View more questions Search