Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cornedbeef Posts: 152, Reputation: 4

May 21, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Advise with growth of umbella plant.
    Hi, I have an umbrella plant and it grew fine for the first 2 feet, but now the individual umbrellas are a quarter of the size of the first ones but there are three times as many and the plant just looks stupid. What I want to know is could I get away with cutting the top off or would it kill the plant?
    Thanks Richard.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 01:00 PM
    I used to have umbrella trees growing in my backyard in South Florida. The little umbrella leaves you talk about are just young leaves and need to grow. They will grow but it takes time for them to grow much bigger. Don't cut the top of the plant off as that could cause the plant trauma and could very well kill it. The fact that you have three times as many smaller leaves means that your plant is alive and doing great! Don't take off the new leaves. Take off the old big leaves only when they show signs of aging. You have a healthy sounding plant!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 23, 2008, 07:56 AM
    They are hardy trees but don't let the plant get below freezing as it will kill off a lot of it from the cold. The trees I had in my backyard were well over 25' tall and still growing so they do get rather large if planted in a yard in a tropical like setting. I'm sure that won't happen in England LOL!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know the name of this plant? [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/329839/2/istockphoto_329839_feathery_plants.jpg Urgent, thanks!

Seeking advise on giving advise [ 1 Answers ]

If you are sharing in a living situation with someone who you've found to be kind of a slob, i.e. not doing any cleaning nor taking care of personal hygiene, and it poses a health risk to both of you, how would you go about telling that person to cleanup? How can you tell another person that they...

Give facts for the growth cycle of the pineapple plant. [ 6 Answers ]

Give facts for the growth cycle of the pineapple plant.

ID this plant [ 4 Answers ]

Please identify this plant: curly leaves http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/496222110_2080669081_o.jpg

What should I plant . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a...

View more questions Search