Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredjackson21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Felon technically finished probation go to Mexico
    I'm a felon who is just now finishing my supervised probation. I was told by the p.o. that once I was on unsupervised, I could go to any country for vacation without notice. I will get my notification in the mail, but I will not need it to travel. I already have my passport, it was not revoked or anything. It is still valid. Since I technically finished probation, and do NOT need the paper to travel, can I still go to Mexico without any problems? What kind of checks do they make when they scan your passport?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Hello fred:

Mexico?? Scan your passport?? Bwa, ha ha ha ha. You must be thinking about some OTHER country. Mexico doesn't scan your passport. Dude! And, even if they did, Mexico doesn't care.

It's the US that cares. You're on UN-supervised release. I've been on that before. The ONLY difference between THAT and supervised probation, is you don't have an ACTIVE supervisor. You are STILL on probation. You STILL must obey all the probation rules. One of them is that you need permission to leave the state.

I don't think that has changed. If it were me, I'd want my probation officer to write me a letter telling me that I can leave the country. What?? Do I think the PO would lie, or do I think the PO is toooooo dumb to know the rules?? Yup!!

excon

May 22, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Okay, excon, so I was told by the judge and the P.O. that once off supervised, I could go anywhere and do anything. This statement is in my paperwork, since it was part of court. I do have it on record. I know the difference between supervised and unsupervised, so since that is the ONLY difference, will the U.S. know that I left the country and came back? I'm allowed, since I have the paper. But I've only been out less than a year, so I'm still worried. Call it post institutional stress disorder. With or without permission really isn't my question here, and I should have been more clear, but my shyness toward speaking openly about my situation kept me from doing so. I just hate sounding like the typical felon, like I'm trying to get away with something. My question: Does the U.S. scan your passport, retrieve criminal background information, and keep one from leaving or returning?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredjackson21
    Okay, excon, so I was told by the judge and the P.O., that once off supervised, I could go anywhere and do anything. This statement is in my paperwork, since it was part of court. I do have it on record. I know the difference between supervised and unsupervised, so since that is the ONLY difference, will the U.S. know that I left the country and came back? I'm allowed, since I have the paper. But I've only been out less than a year, so I'm still worried. Call it post institutional stress disorder. With or without permission really isn't my question here, and I should have been more clear, but my shyness toward speaking openly about my situation kept me from doing so. I just hate sounding like the typical felon, like I'm trying to get away with something. My question: Does the U.S. scan your passport, retrieve criminal background information, and keep one from leaving or returning?

They will punch your name into their computer - warrants, probation and the like will show up.

If you have paperwork that says you can leave, carry it with you as proof. Make sure it's Court certified.

I'd be more worried about trying to get back in.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Hello again, fred:

Yeah, I hope nobody discovers that I'm a felon too...

Believe me, Dude. I understand post institutional stress disorder. I STILL got it. But, as long as you have WRITTEN documentation, then I think you're cool.

Mexico, as I said, doesn't scan, and doesn't care if it DID scan. Mexicans are NOT uptight, like we are. As a matter of fact, I'm way down inside Mexico as we type. When I left, there were some Homeland Security cops right at the border stopping everybody leaving. They wanted to know if I was taking more than $10K cash out of the country. They had some people pulled over going through their stuff, so they were serious. But they DIDN'T ask for passports...

When I go back, I'm sure the Americans will scan my passport (yours too). But, if you have NO restrictions on your travel, their computer won't say you do. Will they know about your criminal past?? They certainly might, but who cares?

However, TAKE your written authorization WITH YOU.

excon

May 22, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Okay, so I called the passport place, and they directed me to the airport. I called customs there, and they said my passport wouldn't get scanned until I came back. He asked if I was on unsupervised, and I told him yes, but I was worried about all the damn bureaucracy, and how long it would take for my stuff to get authorized. Since I'm technically on unsupervised now, would it take months before the passport people saw that? (If you know anything about the gov't or DOC, you'll know why I'm rhetorically asking this.) He asked if it was state or fed, and when I told him state, he told me not to worry either way. I'm good. My passport is valid, never been restricted, I'm not on a no-fly list, and I'd be okay, even if the computer was late putting me in as unsupervised. I'm still a little worried though. I don't think I'll be okay until I arrive back here safely! My crime, if you're wondering? I got into a fight with a guy at a bar, happened to be the owner of the bars' son, and he was gay. Called it a hate-crime, I served three years in prison. One fight, and now all this crap. I'm self-conscience about everything now. And freaked out about a vacation! Lol. Oh well, I let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help guys.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredjackson21
    Okay, so I called the passport place, and they directed me to the airport. I called customs there, and they said my passport wouldn't get scanned until I came back. He asked if I was on unsupervised, and I told him yes, but I was worried about all the damn bureaucracy, and how long it would take for my stuff to get authorized. Since I'm technically on unsupervised now, would it take months before the passport people saw that? (If you know anything about the gov't or DOC, you'll know why I'm rhetorically asking this.) He asked if it was state or fed, and when I told him state, he told me not to worry either way. I'm good. My passport is valid, never been restricted, I'm not on a no-fly list, and I'd be okay, even if the computer was late putting me in as unsupervised. I'm still a little worried though. I don't think I'll be okay until I arrive back here safely! My crime, if you're wondering? I got into a fight with a guy at a bar, happened to be the owner of the bars' son, and he was gay. Called it a hate-crime, I served three years in prison. One fight, and now all this crap. I'm self-conscience about everything now. And freaked out about a vacation! lol. Oh well, I let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help guys.

If you're going to Mexico and you run into Excon tell him I said, "Hi." :D :D

Let us know when you're back safe and sound!
    slick909 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
    So I'm guessing he NEVER made it home lol..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felon/Probation serving in the Military [ 11 Answers ]

Hello members, I am new here and look forward to conversing with many of you. I hope I am not jumping right in with a question that is inappropriate, if so please correct me before I make a fool of myself. I'm really not sure what topic my question comes under. I was wondering if someone...

Felon join the srevice on probation? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I'm asking this queastion for my son. He was convicted of 2 felonies when he was 17 for sexual assult. He is currently serving a 5year sentence. He will be on probation for 10 years which we will fight. Is their any chance of him going any branch of the service. I have been on the military web...

Second time probation violation of a felon [ 1 Answers ]

What is the consequence of violation of probation of a felon for the second time?

Felon on Probation [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if a Felon is on Probation in FL how to get there Probation Officer to have them drug tested for more than cocaine or marj.

View more questions Search