Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 21, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Running two wires through electrical conduit
    I want to supply power to run some power tools and shop lights out in my detached garage which has no electricity at all right now. I want to run two separate circuits and I'm using a buried electrical conduit with the wires inside. Since it's two separate circuits do I need two conduits or can I put them both in the same one. Is it all right if they fit a little snugly or should I get a larger diameter so they are looser?:confused:
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 21, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Wild and blue,

Start at the beginning, please. Unless you are using a Multiwire Branch Circuit, you can only have a "Single Point of Entry" for your feeder line.

I would suggest the following beginning steps:

Size this effort up. You need to determine how much current you need to pull off the SEP (Service Entry Panel) for use in the garage. By code, if you put electricity into the garage, you must put in a light, and a GFCI protected outlet.

You need to know approximately how much amperage you need to draw on for your outlets. If you are talking about small hand tools you might want to plan on two 20 amp outlets per wall. Unless you need more power.

Also plan on a Subpanel and Circuit breakers and that's just the beginning
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Also, how far away are you from the power source? As don stated, How many tools etc.. Are you running? Where are you running these lines from? The breaker box in the house?

Best bet might be to just put in a sub and run your power that way. Its more work but well well well worth it in the end!
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

May 22, 2008, 01:37 PM
    OK I understand what you guys are saying. Thanks for the consult. It's a pole shed with no walls or floor. Thje outlets may as well be outside in the yard. I want to use those waterproof outdoor outlets. This is just a small hobby area and right now I have a coleman lantern and run my drill and small hand tools by using a 50foot orange extension cord with a gfci on it or use a small gas generator. She objects to sawdust and noise if I'm in the basement.
    mr500 Posts: 181, Reputation: 8

May 22, 2008, 03:25 PM
    How many tools are you running at the same time? You mentioned you are using an ext cord now? You could always run the wire for one receptacle , (gfci) and use it for your small power tools. You would have 2 plugs if you did it that way.

Just make sure it's a gfi plug since this is outside in a detached shed.

Just a thought for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amount of 12ga wires in 2in conduit [ 27 Answers ]

I have a 200amp service panel for my house in Glendale AZ and want to install a 100amp sub-panel for my garage/workshop. The electrical panel is on the other side of the house from the garage and I already have about 15,000 feet of 12ga stranded wire. Is it possible to run a 2 inch conduit through...

Adding wire to a conduit with wires. [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a good way to pull additional wire into a conduit with wires existing? Less than 25 feet in length 2 90 degree sweeps 1 1/2" conduit with 3 large wires exist, probably #6, don't know for sure but plenty of space for the 2 #12 I would like to add.

Running Conduit [ 2 Answers ]

Im about to run my feeder into my new workshop and was wondering when I drill down through the bottom plate and bring in my feeder, what's the codes say about this part of the wire having to be in conduit? I mean the part from the floor up to the bottom of my panel? Also, is it within code to...

Running pex under slab in pvc conduit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10' run of 1/2" pex I want to run under a slab that will be poured. Everything I have read says that you must use a non-metallic elbow (such as PVC) to bring the PEx up through the slab. I am running this line for an island sink supply. I would feel more comfortable if I not only ran it...

View more questions Search