Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinynurselady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Mouth open after death
    My friend at work said her mom was found dead in her nursing home room with her mouth open. Is this normal? An aide had given her a drink of water and they are worried that she choked. Since he left the room right after, they are worried she was left alone choking and died. Is this possible?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I don't know about the lady in your question, of course. But I saw three elderly relatives shortly after they died and they all had open mouths. I was with two of them for the last hour of there lives and their breathing became increasingly more shallow. I am not a medical person but I figured the mouths were open because the lungs were low on air due to the very shallow breathing and the mouth being open was the body's reflex to let more air in. I may be all wet about why---but I did witness it happening 3 times.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 05:31 PM
    It would be the masseter muscles relaxing-the mouth will relax when you die-falling open.

Did your mother have water in her lungs at the post mortem-then this would indicate that she drowned /choked on the water.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Yes, there is nothing unusual about the mouth opening at, or shortly after, the time of death.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2008, 06:12 PM
    As noted the mouth being open is more normal than closed. This shows nothing as to the issue. I know that a loss is always hard, but trying to put blame will not help.
    tinynurselady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayman
    It would be the masseter muscles relaxing-the mouth will relax when you die-falling open.

Did your mother have water in her lungs at the post mortem-then this would indicate that she drowned /choked on the water.

My friend said they did not do an autopsy since she had other health issues. She siad that both she and her brother wished now that they had. I am not sure what her health problems were, but my friend is in her 60's so I would imagine her mom was older than 80. Thanks for your input!
    AngelBud626 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 09:27 AM
    My Mom died of Parkinson's Disease, and her mouth was wide open when I got to the Rest Home. Her Eyes were open too.I was wondering why & if that was normal?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    My Mom died of Parkinson's Disease, and her mouth was wide open when I got to the Rest Home. Her Eyes were open too.I was wondering why & if that was normal?
    It is entirely normal and very common. Determined by position at time of death and cessation of muscle control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy Boyfriend- chewing w/ mouth open, crunching ice, banging doors [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, my boyfriend and I have lived together 3 years (we are both 45). He drives me crazy with noise - everything is noisy. He chews with his mouth open, crunches ice, slams the cupboard doors. Last night he blew up at me when I said something to him and said it's my problem that these things...

Ok I have open the first seven chakras now I won't to know how to open the 8th and 9th [ 5 Answers ]

Hey dos any body out there know how to open the 8th and 9th chakra. And open the third eye chakra to its full potintal.. Thaks. Darryl123

My itunes won't open at all, does anybody know how to get it to open? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got my computer back after having new virus scanns on my computer downloaded.. and I have used itunes since then but last night when I logged out and logged back in this morning, when I click on itunes, all that happens is it has the mouse thing which looks like its loading for a couple...

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

View more questions Search