Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcheffo Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Publishing
    Does anyone know how to get books published and how much it costs? My wife is writing children's books.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2006, 04:48 PM
    If you are going to self publish, you can do a Yahoo or Google search for publishers and you will get more than I could list.

Also with regular publishers you have to just submit the books and hope they will accept each.

Most of all types of publishers will have specifics on the format of the print, and also the electronic format they will require
    poetrylady415 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2006, 01:45 AM
    Hello I write children's books also. I have a book factory make me 500 copies of the book and I take the book to craft shows, fairs etc. I have had great luck in selling my books myself. And the money I make I save and put it into writing another childrewn's book. The book factory charged me 79 cents a book. I sell the book for 3.00 my book won best of children's book at the fair. We got a blue ribbon. It made me so happy. I like self publishing. Its hard to get a publisher to read your manuscript. I have tried. It don't work.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Wound you mind telling everyone where you get your books made at. The Cost of less than a dollar seems very good and I am sure some of the readers may want to use that same service
    poetrylady415 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 8, 2006, 08:31 PM
    We have a book factory here in my town of ware mass. But there are a lot of book factorys in your area. A book factory is a printing place where they will make your book the way you want it. Hard cover, soft cover, coloring book, etc. they don't charge for 2 colors which is black and any other color you may want. White is not a color they told me. They have a brochure where you pick out how you want your book to look. The pages have to be 16- 18-20- etc. no odd pages. They don't include the covers as a page. You can get 200 books made or 500 books made at one time. Its not a book store but sort of a publishing factory. But they don't give you a bar code or ISBN you have to do that yourself. If you want your book in stores. The cost of the bar code is 300.00 for each volume of book you have made. The ISBN is 200.00 you get the bar code and isbn numbers at the library of congress in Washington d.c. you can reg your book's name and author for 30.00 at the library of congress. So no one can steal your book. I have 3 books that I reg. the name of my book is reg too. Because I use the same name for all my books. It's a printing factory. That just prints books of all kinds. Where I don't have the money for the bar code and isbn numbers I self publish. I sell them on my own. Which is quite easy. I have found that people are eager to buy books from new authors. Because no one else has the book. They are not in stores. Hope I have covered every thing for you. If not please let me know. I have done this self publishing thing for a long time. You can keep the money you make or put it into another book. Which ever you like to do. I sold my book for 3.00 last summer at a craftshow. I sold 200 books. Some book publishers charge different rates to make your book. Mine chared me 79 cents a book. Some charge you a doller a book. But even so. You charge what you want to sell that book. That's how you make your money back plus.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 6, 2006, 11:05 PM
    So what is the name of the place you had your book printed at? We gather that it is local but if your local is better than our local it might be wise to get the books done where you do. Would you mind telling the name, address and phone number please? Also email and website if able. It will help everyone out.

Hypatia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Publishing a book [ 4 Answers ]

I'm about 95% complete with my book. I have written it to sell. It's over 72,000 words. What is the best format (Font, size, spacing) to convert my Word document for sending to publishers and book agents. Anybody know a good agent?

Publishing [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get books published and how much it costs?

Publishing a coloring book [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in self publishing a coloring book. I am not an artist though. I have many ideas and will have to hire someone to do the graphics. Any suggestions on how to get started. I have searched for info on the web and cannot find anything on how to publish a coloring book. The only...

Publishing a book [ 1 Answers ]

How can I get published inexpensively? What are the best publishing companies?

View more questions Search