Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    figtree Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Discretionary 401K Plan- Irregularities?
    My employer has agreed with our union to open a guaranteed 401K plan. When I checked the plan description it clearly states this is a discretionary plan.
    In addition, my biweekly contributions have not been deposited in a timely manner. Since the beginning of January I have contributed $150 ( every 2 weeks). My 401K account shows deposits began on April 28th! Then, that deposit shows $150, the next deposit date of 5/12 shows $450!:confused: To date my employer has not contributed any match.
    Is this sporadic depositing of my contributions legal? I'm must be losing earnings.

Secondly, my employer is using a PAI (pension administrator). Will I likely be paying fees to the PAI and the Oppenheimer fund?
    I feel I should just close the entire account and maybe open an IRA or a ROTH.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Fig
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

May 21, 2008, 02:56 PM
    The rules for the 401K is that the earnings are to be deposited as soon as they can be separated from the rest of payroll. This is in as little as 5 days. I only have 10 days per my plan to put the funds in.

THe section 508 of the Pension Protection Act of 2006 says that the administrator of the 401K plan is requied to provide a quarterly benefit statement to a participant or beneficiary who has the right to direct the investment of the assets in his or her account.

The failure by the plan sponsor to comply with this quarterly notice requirement can result in a civil action by plan participants to recover from the plan administrator (typically the company) $100.00 per day, per participant.

Here is the DOL website where you can find the compliance regulations for 401K pension plans:

Compliance Assistance By Topic - Retirement Benefits

Here is the office branch of the Department of Labor that regulates the compliance with pension regulations.

Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA)
    200 Constitution Avenue, NW
    Room N-5623
    Washington, DC 20210
    Contact EBSA
    Tel: 1-866-444-EBSA (3272)
    TTY: 1-877-889-5627
    Regional Offices

Shirley
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2008, 03:47 PM
    A employee match fund, is great ( when it works) it may be possible they do not know the laws or just want to break them.
    This is why of course you have a union, talk to your union rep and file a greivence on this also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My new employer has no 401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I hope this question is relevant for this forum. I got laid off from my employer in Aug, where we had a 401k plan, in which I have put in less than the annual IRS limit of $14k. Let's say I only put in $9k. My new employer does not have a 401k yet. So is there anyway I can still put...

401K Plan [ 2 Answers ]

Hi had a 401k planwith previous employer and now seven years later I do not know how to go about getting it back or even what happen to it please help.

401k plan [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find my past job's 401k that I still have

Using 401K Plan [ 2 Answers ]

We were financially set back several years ago, due to my husband getting injured at work and previous child support. We have most of our bills paid up. But we are living in a 2-bedroom trailer with 4 children including two teenagers. We can't get a loan without cleaning more of the credit up and a...

Chapter 13, 401K and 529 plan [ 1 Answers ]

Currently filed a chapter 13 plan and I want to know if I'm able to contribute to my 401k or a 529 for my newborn. In addition, with horrible credit and a decent rate on my current mortgage can I do a refi?

View more questions Search