Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burrridge Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 11:37 PM
    Swindled widow
    I invested in a so called company starting up and selling healthcare benefits.
    I knew the parties and thought everything was fine. I was given stock certificates in the company and have a written agreement as to the repayment plan they would pay me back my investment. I also have a lien against their house, which was filed with a Title and Trust Company.
    One of the parties is now in jail for illegal practices of some sort. I don't know where the other one is. I am not receiving any money. I don't know where to go with these certificates, which I think now are probably worthless, their home has been taken away from them and the title company tells me I am still on file with my lien. I checked with the county and the house has been sold to some other people. I can't believe this has happened to me. I just wanted to invest in a company , so I would have an income and be able to support myself. Please Help!! Illinois resident
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 02:30 AM
    Investing in something always posses the possible risk that you will lose part or all of your investment. On the flip side, you could make a whole lot of money.

I am sorry to hear that you have in fact lost your investment.

Generally, it is just that…an investment. However, depending on the wording of your written contract and perhaps special localized laws in IL, you might stand some chance to sue them or something.

Did you invest as in loan or invest as in a part owner (since you said you have stock certificates)? Assuming the latter, I think you are unfortunately out of luck.

You should consult with an attorney in your area though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search