Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clauandre Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Wrong date stamped in my I94 - can affect my H1B?
    I am currently in a L1 visa working for Company A. My L1 expires in August 2008 but the immigration officer wrote August 2009 in the I94 form. Company B has applied a H1B visa for and I won't the last lottery. My lawyer now says that the mistake in the I94 would generate some issues with my H1B visa as they would denied the change in the status because I already have a L1. Also as my current VISA (date in the stamp) is due in August 31 and the new H1B will be effective from October 1st, should I leave the country and get the stamp in my country or can I stay here for 30 days after the visa expires?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 20, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Your attorney is correct about issue with date on I-94. What's his/her advice?

In my opinion, if you don't fix I-94, you may not be able to change status in US, so consular processing would be your only choice. Better discuss with your attorney.

May 20, 2008, 05:30 PM
    I will have a meeting on Friday to discuss options. I don't care if I have to do it in the Consular I just want to be sure my H1B is not in risk. My current job under the L1 Visa is en on June and if I lost the H1B I should go back to my job in my country but I already told them I am not coming back.
    nikparekh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 04:09 PM
    First thing is,
    - When you enter to US?
    - If you have entered on August 2006, IMM MAY stamp you till August 2009, [even if your visa is valid till August 20080. This is absolutely possible.
    - How can you say that this is a mistake?
    - If this is a mistake, you are not part of that mistake and IT WON't AFFECT Your H1B.

May 22, 2008, 04:56 PM
    I entered on 2005.. my visa expires in August 2008... was a mistake of the customer office to write August 2009 in my I94. And if the H1B is valid since October 1st, I think I should leave the country and get the H1B in the consulate in my country, I won't be able to swich from the L1 to H1B without leaving the country I think... My lawyer says that may be they won't notice the mistake in the I94 so I can stay until October 1st but I don't want to risk anything
    nikparekh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 02:20 AM
    As per my understanding :
    - You can stay in US as long as your I-94 is valid. Once you enter US, they will see your last VALID day in US as per I-94 and not in to your VISA.
    - Explain this to your lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong date written on speeding ticket! [ 9 Answers ]

I recently got pulled over and was given a speeding ticket. I was definitely speeding and did not give the officer a hastle. The date of my ticket was 11/27/06 and written on the ticket was 11/27/08. A few days later the sent me a new ticket with the date corrected. Does anyone know if my ticket...

Wrong Tax form filed but does not affect Tax! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi We are from India and my husband is working on a J1 visa as a Research Scholar in US since September 2005.He entered US as a J1 visa holder. We got married in July 2007 in India and so as of December 2007 my husband had Married Status.My husband has filed a1040NR return for 2007......

Wrong conception date [ 1 Answers ]

The last menstrual date was on 21st Oct 07, supposedly right now I'm already 8 weeks pregnant.But the last ultrasound is not showing any sign of a featus. Can the date be wrong ?

Wrong date format I can't change. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm using MS Works 8.5. When I click on Format/Number/Date the exact format I want is not shown and the preview is often different from that. i.e. it shows as say 31/8/07 and I want 8/31/07 as I'm in Australia. How can I change it to what I want? Help would be much appreciated. Stuartp77

Wrong offense and court date written on parking ticket [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Bergen County, New Jersey. On Friday morning, 05/04/07, I dropped off my kid at the school at the usual spot and got pull over by an officer for a parking violation although I only stopped for about 1 minute. A lot of people also got issued a parking tickets yesterday morning...

View more questions Search