Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jkh Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

May 20, 2008, 07:41 AM
    7 quarts of oil?
    I have an audi a4 it's a 3.0 v6. According to my owners manual it takes 5 quarts of oil. I just had it changed and they put in 7. They also did not properly re-attach the bottom cover. I had this done last Thursday, may 15. My check enigne light started coming on Monday.

I'm a bit worried because I been told that too much oil can blow seals and my owners manual says if the oil fill line on the dipstick is above a certain amount, which it is, that it can ruin the catalytic converter. I know very little of cars and am wondering if this is true? What can I do? I have called the place and they act like they do not want to fix the problem. I honestly do not want them to touch my car again.

Drain the oil I get, but what if other things are wrong?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Remove the drain plug and drain out 2 quarts. You may have to reset the Check Engine Light. If you do this, everything should be fine. I'm not sure, however, what the bottom cover you are referring to is.
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2008, 08:54 AM
    I don't know about Audis but I do know that things like a gas cap loose and oil fill caps loose will cause check engine lights to come on in the newer cars. It's happened to me before. Sometimes they have to be reset to clear them. If you can drain some of the oil and refill it to proper level I would resuse the same oil and save the remainder or dispose of it in the correct place. Maybe this will help you.
    jkh Posts: 27, Reputation: 6

May 20, 2008, 09:21 AM
    OK I drained a quart of oil and the level on the dipstick says that it is correct. The bottom cover is a protective cover that is attached to the front bumper. I got that tightend back correctly. The check engine light is still on. I do not know how to reset the check engine light. I am trying to find out from the owners manual and looking online. Any idea as to how to do that? Thanks for al the help!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 seconds and see if the light goes out. Record any radio codes first. Otherwise, use a scanner or code reader to turn the CEL out--it attaches to the Data Link Connector, under the dash. Many AutoZone stores used to do this for free--call first.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Here is a link with some information about resetting the check engine light. The link appears to be from someone trying to sell their own product.

I would try disconnecting your battery for a while to see if that makes the light stay off when you hook your battery back up.

If you have any alarms or radios as mentioned in the link, disconnecting the battery might be a troublesome option for you.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 05:42 AM
    I'm not sure what type of system they have because the OP didn't mention what year the car is. If it's a newer car then it's running an OBD-II and disconnecting the battery does not reset the check engine light on an OBD-II system! It may cause it to go out temporarily but the code is still present, which means after a few days, the light will come back on.

I am so frustrated with people on this board saying "disconnect your battery"; all that does is make the light go away. You're not addressing the issue which caused the light to come on in the first place!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search