Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kat18 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Unhealthy, and very overweight chihuahua
    My mom has a chihuahua that is clearly very unhealthy. At one and a half years old it is severely overweight, and evidently has something wrong with it's ears because it shakes it's head and scratches them all the time. It also seems to have a hard time breathing. Regardless of what I say to my mom, she continues to only feed it fast food, fried chicken, cheese, even chocolate ice cream. Isn't chocolate supposed to kill dogs? And I've heard that unions are supposed to cause liver failure over time.. she feeds it that too. Every day she fixes hot dogs for it.. and she buys dog treats for it and feeds it to her like dry food. The dog treats are the only thing that is actually meant for dogs that it consumes. But dog treats are meant to be fed as a treat right? And it eats all the time, not once or twice a day.. constantly. I've tried and tried, even printed info off and showed it to my mom, and she won't listen.. what is the likelihood that this dog is going to make it past 2 years? And what should I do to prove to my mom that the fact that the dog can't get up when you lay it on it's back Isn't a good thing?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Oh boy, what to say here?! Your Mom needs to know in no uncertain terms that she is killing her dog! Yes chocolate and onions are deadly to dogs, for one thing! Feeding the dog fast food like that is inhumane! Their little tummy's cannot handle food like that, and yes doggie treats are made to be fed as the name says... dog TREATS!

I'm sorry to say this to you, but your mother is abusing her dog! There is no other way to say it! There is a reason why there is "dog food", and "people food!!" (some of which is not so good for people either)

Ask your Mom if she really truly cares about her little fur babe? Tell her if she does she MUST stop giving her/him the food that she is... it's going to kill him!

Dogs have medical problems just like people, and the itching and scratching he is doing is probably because he is in pain, but he can't tell anyone. Tell her that he could develop hypertension problems, diabetes, stomach ulcers, joint problems, and the list goes on...

Just tell Mom that if she cares at all for her little fur babe, that she must get him to a vet to have him checked out, and then follow a strict "dog food" diet, unless she wants to sit there and watch him slowly die of obesity!

Thank you for caring enough to ask this question and caring about the little dog that can't speak for himself! ;)

Ask your Mom to read this! I don't know if it will help, but this is animal abuse!
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 19, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Ask her why her children were not allowed to exist on a diet of ice cream and potato chips! She knows that humans need a good basic diet to stay healthy, and it is no different for a dog.
    Deep down she knows that she can't buy a child's or a pet's love with food, but how to bring that to the surface?
    This is a case of "killing with kindness"
    You are doing the right thing to try and make her understand.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Honestly if this were a family member of mine doing this to a dog and I tried to make her understand with info and she refused to listen I would call the ASPCA and report her for animal nelgect.

Yes I will say that I have cut ties with family over animal abuse.

YOu may try a last ditch effort and make a vet appt. for her dog and let a vet give her some advice, maybe she will listen then. She is really shortening the dogs life by this behavior. With the right type of chocolate she can kill the dog with just a small amount. Also the dog can develop pancreatitis which is both painful and could probably lead to death. There is also danger of causing her back and hip problems from carrying the extra weight, their body frame is only intended to carry so much weight.
    Poison Safe HomeFoods to Avoid Feeding Your Pet
    - Alcoholic beverages
    - Avocado
    - Chocolate (all forms)
    - Coffee (all forms)
    - Fatty foods
    - Macadamia nuts
    - Moldy or spoiled foods
    - Onions, onion powder
    - Raisins and grapes
    - Salt
    - Yeast dough
    - Garlic
    - Products sweetened with xylitol
    patideewstbfd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
    You should take that poor little dog away from your mother immediately! Call the Animal Abuse Police!! She is killing it! It sounds to me like your mother's head needs to be examined... I'm serious. Please, one way or another you must remove that dog from your mother's home, I'm begging your to save that little dog's life... nobody in their right mind would ever feed a dog those foods and in those quantities... unless they were mentally retarded... and if she has ignored all your attempts to educate her about how she is killing her little pet and that what she is doing is abusive... and she is committing animal cruelty... well then, for GOD's sake get that dog to hell out of her house... some people mistakenly think that they are showing an animal 'love' when they feed them 'people food'... but in reality, it is like feeding them poison... their little bodies have different nutritional needs that do not get filled unless they eat a balanced meal meant for their species --- and in this case, a dog can only get it from a well-balanced healthy brand of dog food selected for that breed... I'm very upset knowing that she is out there deliberately killing that little dog... what ever you do, please make sure she never, ever owns another pet, please!!
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Dec 26, 2008, 02:50 PM

Could you casually pull an OJ Simpson: break in and steal the dog or have someone do it?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 26, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrscoltweaver View Post
    Could you casually pull an OJ Simpson: break in and steal the dog or have someone do it??
    If the dog don't fit... you can't acquit! Sorry, couldn't help myself! LOL! This is an old thread, and the OP has never returned. I hope she got help for her mothers dog! :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fast/ unhealthy does not matter [ 1 Answers ]

All right I have been losing weight the healthy way for a few months but I am about to go on a trip so I am trying to lose as much weight as possible in a short about of time I don't care if its unhealthy and I know it will come back but I just want it gone for the trip any suggestions??

Healthy or Unhealthy? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has a 13 year old daughter that he snuggles with, lays on the couch with her. Sometimes covered, sometimes not while they watch TV. I lay the same way with him on the couch. I think it is not appropriate for them to do that at her age. I am a survivor of incest, so I do not know if this...

Am I in for an unhealthy pregnancy? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a baby 4 months ago... and found out I am pregnant again! I had a misunderstanding with my insurance and they canceled it.. I just got it back and had made an appointment for birth control when I found out I am pregnant again. I used the pull out method which I know isn't a good one but...

Unhealthy relationship [ 4 Answers ]

About 6 weeks ago, I started going to a support group for LGBTQIQ youth, and there, I met this guy, Junior. Junior and I started talking outside of the group and we quickly became friends. But on my side, I kept liking him more and more and more, until I got as close to loving him as I would allow...

View more questions Search