Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 06:56 PM
    "Special Warranty Deed"
    I have an offer in on a bank-owned foreclosure, and as part of the counter it has "Title will be conveyed by a Special Warranty Deed". Should I be concerned about this? I am used to Grant Deeds. And since the bank owns this, all the liens, judgements, etc against the property have been settled, right? I shouldn't have any more worries about a clean title than with a normal purchase? I'd just hate to get this place and have someone come after me for someone else's debts!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
    IRS liens may not be cleared, what if two owners ago the husband sold the property without getting his wife to sign because she had ran off.
    Or perhaps there is a problem with construction or repairs being done without a building permit.

So I would not buy it without a full home inspection and search for any building permits and also have a complete title search done and purchase title insurance
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    IRS liens may not be cleared, what if two owners ago the husband sold the property without getting his wife to sign becuase she had ran off.
    Or perhaps there is a problem with construction or repairs being done without a building permit.

So I would not buy it without a full home inspection and search for any building permits and also have a complete title search done and purchase title insurnace
    Home inspection and title insurance goes without saying. I'd be doing that if this wasn't a foreclosure! The counter also has the following wording: "Seller has/will opened title work/closing order. Buyer agrees to accept title work and pay for Buyer's/lenders title policy." Does that mean that the bank is not having a complete title search done? This house is at an exceptionally good price, and suits me well, and there are multiple offers in on it. So I want to make my odds of getting the place good, but not at the cost of future legal problems!
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Bank will not be doing any title work, But if you do a complete title search it should be OK.
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

May 20, 2008, 03:12 PM
    I received a Special Warranty Deed when I purchased a foreclosure from the bank. It was REO (Bank Owned). In my situation it cleared all outstanding liens but was used since the bank had been involved in a lawsuit surrounding the property and this extinguished all interest of any other party.

A quick call to a Title Company in your area should answer the question without costing you anything. Make the call before you buy the property.
    Expert

May 20, 2008, 03:48 PM
    I would advice getting a title search, but no, don't matter what bank may have told you, a special warranty deed by nature and law does not give you any warranty ( promise) that there are not other lien issues.

This is why it is not a normal Warranty deed which gives you that protection. In fact even a warranty deed does not say it is clear it only says the seller will pay for such legal action to clear it, if it is not clear.

Special Warranty Deed: Definition and Much More from Answers.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Special warranty deed and quit claim deed what are they? [ 6 Answers ]

What is the difference bewtween the two and what is the purpose?

My "special" dog won't sleep! [ 8 Answers ]

My dachsund lucy is 2 1/2 years old. She's the product of two dapple parents and is "different" as a result. She is white with bright blue cocked eyes. And she is almost completely deaf. She is also honestly slightly retarded but the sweetest girl ever. All this has made training and...

What do most tomboys wear on "Special Occasions?" [ 5 Answers ]

I as a tomboy would like to ask... What do tomboys wear on Special Occasions, because I have to go to my grandparents tomorrow, and I have a sweater, embroidered jeans, a sweatshirt, and sneakers out? Are those OK for a tomboy to wear?

Special warranty deed [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a bank owned property. I received the contact from the seller today. THey want to give me a special warranty deed rather than a warranty deed. If I do a title search and get title insurance, could this type of title still come back to bit me? Can I ask the bank to issue a warranty deed...

I want him to think I'm "special" but I don't have the confidence to open up yet. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! Well my problams a little complicated, I've been with this boy for 2 years 9 months and I'm crazy about him... he obversally loves me, I'm his first ever girlfriend and he's my first ever boyfriend, wev'e spent a lot of time together in the past and spent some great intimate...

View more questions Search