Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laula Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 02:42 PM
    The Heart
    Okay, I have two questions

The first is:Does blood flow to the heart muscle during contraction or relaxation?

The second is:What are problems associated with a hole in the heart?

kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2006, 11:48 PM
    Someone who knows better will correct me if I'm wrong. Been a dozen years since I've had a bio or physio book open.

My understanding is that when the atria contract it is to push blood to the lower chambers of the heart, the ventricles. When the right ventricle contracts it pushes blood to the lungs and when the left ventricle contracts it pushes the oxygenated blood to the rest of the body.

Seems to me that blood would most easily enter the atria right after a contraction. If the heart is contracting it is forcing blood away and the valves of the heart are closed by back pressure. After the heart has pushed the blood out, the blood vessels, I believe, force the blood back into the heart by some elastic rebound of the walls and the blood moving toward lower pressure (toward the heart).

As for a hole in the heart, well again, others could fill you in better. This would allow for nonoxygenated blood to mix with oxygenated, and I imagine there are problems with blood pressure since the all the chambers do not constrict at once. Think about blowing liquid through a straw versus blowing liquid through a straw with a hole in it. Wouldn't get the same pressure.

That's all I know or can guess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crying Heart That No One Can See [ 13 Answers ]

Please EVERYONE Please HELP ME I Love a Girl and she used 2 like me 2, but then I don't know but suddenly everything is changing, I'm not sure mayb its my thoughts but what I need help is.. How can I impress her How can I create a place in her heart How can I show her that I love her a lot...

Heart pains [ 1 Answers ]

The past year has been really tough on me, and about 5 months ago, I realized I can't cry. I can feel the emotion, but no tears. When that happens, my heart starts to hurt, as if something was piercing it, and breathing become very difficult and I become dizzy. Is there something wrong with my...

Another lonely heart [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes I am sure that I already know the answers to my own questions, and that frightens me because I want to be wrong. I don't want to know. In fact I wouln't mind knowing things if they were going to work out the way I wanted them too. For instance. I am tired of being alone. Raising my...

View more questions Search