Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mindih Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Credit Judgement
    I have a judgement for 1200. How do you recommend settling this and getting this judgement off my record. I don't own anything.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Once they have a judgement, they have little incentive to settle. You can try offering them half as a lump sum or try and set up a payment plan. But don't be surprised if they don't agree.

It won't come off your record for a while. Once its paid, it will be noted as satisfied then 7 years later it will come off.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Well you start making payments, and after paid, you wait for it to get off your credit report
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

May 19, 2008, 04:12 PM
    OK, wait a second. You said you "don't owe anything" I have a couple questions just for clarification...

Are you saying that you paid the debt and that it is still showing as unsatisfied or that the debt was / is not yours and someone got a judgment against you?

Also, when you say "settle" do you mean clears things up as if it is an error, or settle like in offering them $600 to pay it off in full?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but since these can mean different things, it would help to know the whole story and the situation at hand.

LG
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Loan_Guy
    OK, wait a second. You said you "don't owe anything"
    Read it again, he said OWN not OWE. I believe he's trying to say he's judgement proof.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

May 19, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Scott,

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess my eyesight is going. There was something else not working, but I forget what it is... ;)

You are 100% correct... that does not make him judgment proof. In all actuality, if he doesn't own anything yet, he may have a thin credit file which will make the judgment hurt even more...

Same questions apply though. Did he get a judgment against him by default because he was not notified of the court date. I see that a lot by some of the less-ethical debt collectors. If it is true, well...

As far as settling, the party that sued him has no reason to take less that what they are owed, as it will continue to hurt him for years after it is paid off.

My advice: if it's your's and it's correct, pay it off sooner rather than later and chalk it up to experience.

Thanks again Scott!

LG
    appobene Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jun 9, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Hey guys... If you don't own anything they got no point in holding against you...
    Without sounding too eager and offer them an amount that you are comfortable with,and put in writing a stipulation that states explicitly when you pay it off that should me removed from your credit file...
    Or just vacate the judgment to begin with... they would not fight it that hard for that amount..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's a credit judgement? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm being sued by a credit card company, even though I am currently unemployed. They said they would put a judgement against me that would last 20 years.. what exactly does that mean? Is that worst then filing for bankruptcy? What can I do when I go to court?

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I am being sued by citi bank for a little over 12,000(from 2 cards) I already acknowledged the debt was mine and that I owe it, they got all my bank information and w-2's already. I own no property and am a student that makes a little over 1,100 a month bartending. My rent etc. is around 750 a...

Judgement credit [ 3 Answers ]

I was never seved court papers or asked to appear. How do they get a judgement against you. And is that legal?

Credit Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Can creditors dip into your checking or savings account?

Judgement on my credit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a judgement on my credit that is really hurting my credit score. How can I remove the judgement off my credit.

View more questions Search