Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

May 19, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Ferrets behavior
    I couldn't find a "Pet" board, so I randomly picked this one. I hope someone can answer my question!

I have 2 ferrets, George and Sammie. We don't know how old George is because we got him from someone else who didn't tell us the age, but we think he is getting pretty old. Sammie, we got when she was a baby so we know she is only 2 years old. They get along very well.
    The last few months George started losing his hair. He's getting pretty bald, but it doesn't seem to bother him (he doesn't scratch or anything). The last few days he is starting to loose bladder control. He doesn't normally have accidents on the floor, but lately it is like he can't help it. And now, the last 3 days I've caught him biting Sammies neck, and won't let go. We actually have to pry his mouth off Sammie's neck! We now have to keep them apart. They only ever play fight, and never fight like that in their cage. It is really strange for George to act like that towards Sammie.

Any ideas on why he is acting like this? Maybe a sign of old age? Do you think I should take him to the vet?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
    There is a pets and animals section. Hopefully one of the moderators will move your question there.

I have no ferret experience, sorry.
    MEDIstaff4u Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 01:31 AM
    The baldness is a classic symptom of adrenal disease and should be taken to a vet immediately. The ferret more than likely has a tumor on one or both of its glands. You can look up pictures on Google for this. I had one die of this just a few months ago.

The aggressiveness is probably because his adrenaline levels are all screwed up. Another good sign of this is if it is a male, does it have problems peeing and then it just happens to come after he has given up "accidents."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog behavior [ 3 Answers ]

My 11 month old lab was very sick when she was young. She seems healthy now and has tons of energy. Whenever you put a coat on or pick up a leash she goes beserk - jumping barking etc. She also will not release a ball or stick - you have to pry it from her mouth. Obviously we would like a change in...

Movie of a warrior with an eagle, a tiger and 2 ferrets. [ 6 Answers ]

Please help me find the title of this movie about a blond Tarzan look alike, a bit like He-man (but not He-man because I know they also did a movie of him) who fights the powers of darkness. He could be the son of the king and queen which are murdered at the beginning of the movie, but I am not...

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

SS disruptive behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys... I have tried everything nothing and I mean NOTHING will work. My stepson whom is 10 absolutely hates me, I am at the end with him. He will do nothing I ask him to do. When his dad gets him he stays right under his dad. I have set bed time rules shower time rules and none of this works....

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

View more questions Search