Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emorse Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 10:50 AM
    1 of 2 thermostats will not work on same A/C unit
    I have 2 thermostats operating the same A/C unit, 1 for upstairs and 1 for down. The power went out Thursday night and when it came back on Friday the downstairs thermostat would not turn on the fan, A/C, or heat. The upstairs thermostat works perfect. I checked and replaced the fuse in the thermostat, replaced the thermostat and checked the breaker to no avail. Before I call a professional, is there something I am missing? The A/C is a Trane and the house is new to me but built in 91'. I assume the it is the original A/C unit
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 10:55 AM
    I have never heard of two thermostats working together on the same unit?

How does that work? What if one is saying "turn on" and the other is saying "not yet"?

I'll be interested to see your answers.

May 19, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emorse
    I have 2 thermostats operating the same A/C unit, 1 for upstairs and 1 for down. The power went out Thursday night and when it came back on Friday the downstairs thermostat would not turn on the fan, A/C, or heat. The upstairs thermostat works perfect. I checked and replaced the fuse in the thermostat, replaced the thermostat and checked the breaker to no avail. Before I call a professional, is there something I am missing? The A/C is a Trane and the house is new to me but built in 91'. i assume the it is the original A/C unit
    Someone said it is called "zoned heating and air." I know very little of this but when it did work, both thermostats could turn on the A/C independently of each other's temperature setting.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Turn power off for everything HVAC related for a few minutes and then turn it back on. Use the fuse box if needed.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 11:33 AM
    progunr:

It is a zoned system. You generally need a zone controller which takes the input from n thermostats and it will figure out whether the system needs to be turned on.

Zoning is accomplished with typically motorized dampers which the zoning controller controls.

The zoned system generally must be equipped with a "bypass damper". This damper connects the supply with the return. This prevents the system from operating into two high of a restriction. e.g. regulates static pressure

Carrier systems equipped with the Infinity Control and a zone controller does not need a bypass damper because the system can infinately control blower speed to control static pressure.

High static pressure will damage a furnace.

May 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    progunr:

It is a zoned system. You generally need a zone controller which takes the input from n thermostats and it will figure out whether or not the system needs to be turned on.

Zoning is accomplished with typically motorized dampers which the zoning controller controls.

The zoned system generally must be equipped with a "bypass damper". This damper connects the supply with the return. This prevents the system from operating into two high of a restriction. e.g. regulates static pressure

Carrier systems equipped with the Infinity Control and a zone controller does not need a bypass damper because the system can infinately control blower speed to control static pressure.

High static pressure will damage a furnace.
    Can you tell me where the zone controller generally is located?
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 04:12 PM
    It could be anywhere. Someone could have put it centrally located between the two thermostats or zone dampers. Usually it would be located near the furnace.
    For 2 zones it needs the following cables:
    1.Thermostat for zone 1
    2. Zone damper for zone 1
    3. Thermostat for zone 2
    4. Zone damper for zone 2
    5. Control to furnace

Follow the thermostat wire from the furnace.
    jpenberthy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 07:17 AM
    I have a old lennox electric heater. I changed the old thermostat for a new programmable one... in doing so the heater will not turn on... I put the old thermostat back on it... and it still will not turn on. I tried the breakers, the circuit on/off switches and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC unit That does not work [ 2 Answers ]

I opened the compartment to the outside unit and there were three things. A circuit board, something that looks like a small canister and a switch that looks like a relay. The circuit board has a flashing green light. When it is switched to cool there is a click followed by another click. But...

AC unit That does not work [ 1 Answers ]

When I set the thermostat to on there is a click on the outside unit but it still will not come on. Anything else. The outside circuit braker is a manual breaker, that can not be shut off through over load or short. To break this circuit, you have to remove the jumper which is in a good state. ...

My AC unit does not work [ 2 Answers ]

I owned a Carrier AC. The outside fan does not spin or work. The indoor thermostat control did not or has not shown any error message. I have checked out all circuit breaker and all tested OK. Is there a fuse somewhere I don't know about? What did I miss? Thanks

Adjusting Dual Thermostats-One AC Unit [ 3 Answers ]

I have one heat pump unit, and two thermostats (one upstairs, one down). I live in Texas and the Summer months seem to keep my unit running non-stop when I have both upper and lower set at 77 degrees, one month last year my electric bill was over $500. Is there a general rule (ie. few degrees...

Multiple thermostats for 1 AC Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as multiple thermostats for one Air condition unit? Does this really exist? I need answers quickly for new construction.

View more questions Search