Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrispcon40 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2008, 07:51 AM
    4 way wiring
    I'm looking to install 6 recessed lights and a total of 3 switches to control the lights. I believe I need two 3 way switches and one 4 way switch?
    Should all light fixtures being controlled by the 3 switches be wired from the last switch in the connection?
    For example, using the same three switch configuration from above, if I have 6 recesseed lights all being controlled by 3 light switches; two 3 way switches and one 4 way switch. The first and last switch in the configuration are the 3 way switches with the 4 way switch in the middle of the configuration. The 6 cans would be powered from switch #3, the last in the configuration?
    OR can the lights be powered from any switch in the configuration.

I hope this makes sense and I'm hoping for a good answer - sparkie
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

May 19, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Your current set-up will work, and is normal--assuming you are running a wire from the can light to the first 3-way switch

May 20, 2008, 05:51 AM
    So, the first 3 way switch (the one receiving power from electric panel) needs to be directly connected to one of the cans?
    The other 2 switches will not be directly connected to a can? I guess they just are connected to each other?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 06:02 AM
    1 three way common gets the constant hot, the other three way goes to the lights hot(black wire). Between the 2 3 ways are the 2 "travellers". That is your 3 way setup.
    A 4 way will swap the 2 travellers.
    If you cut the 2 travellers, you can install the 4 way to the 4 wires(2 travellers interrupted.
    You can use as many 4 ways in the middle as you want.

May 20, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Stratmando, so the first 3 way gets the power from the electric panel and the 3rd 3 way sends the power to the light fixtures and the 4 way in the middle only controls the switches? Meaning, the 4 way switch has no direct power coming from the electric panel or power going directly to the light fixtures?

May 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispcon40
    Stratmando, so the first 3 way gets the power from the electric panel and the 3rd 3 way sends the power to the light fixtures and the 4 way in the middle only controls the switches? meaning, the 4 way switch has no direct power coming from the electric panel or power going directly to the light fixtures?
    Maybe this will help:
    S3= 3 way switch
    S4= 4way switch
    Pw= Power
    Attached Images

Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Yes the 4 way has 4 connections(wires), 2 go to 2 screws of one three way, and the other 2 wires go to other 3 way.
    Only 1 3 way gets power to common screw, the other 3 way common screw goes to light.
    Whites and grounds all get connected at all boxes(not to each other)
    Where power comes in with 14-2 hook the power to common screw of first 3 way. Red and black of 14-3 go to other 2 screws, red and black from first 3 way, connects to same colored screws of 4 way, connect the other red and black to other 2 screws on 4 way.
    Now at the last switch, red and black hook to 2 same screws on 3 way.
    Then with lights run to last switch, hook light hot to common and the red and black to same 2 screws on this last 3 way, and the lights white to white.
    You don't have enough wires for a constant hot for receptacle downline from last 3 way.
    You could hook a receptacle downline, just tie on to the light wires, however it will be 3/4 way switched with light.
    It is best to run lights to last 3 way. Good Luck.

May 20, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Yes the 4 way has 4 connections(wires), 2 go to 2 screws of one three way, and the other 2 wires go to other 3 way.
    Only 1 3 way gets power to common screw, the other 3 way common screw goes to light.
    Whites and grounds all get connected at all boxes(not to each other)
    Where power comes in with 14-2 hook the power to common screw of first 3 way. red and black of 14-3 go to other 2 screws, red and black from first 3 way, connects to same colored screws of 4 way, connect the other red and black to other 2 screws on 4 way.
    Now at the last switch, red and black hook to 2 same screws on 3 way.
    Then with lights run to last switch, hook light hot to common and the red and black to same 2 screws on this last 3 way, and the lights white to white.
    You don't have enough wires for a constant hot for recepticle downline from last 3 way.
    You could hook a recepticle downline, just tie on to the light wires, however it will be 3/4 way switched with light.
    It is best to run lights to last 3 way. Good Luck.
    I understand most of what you are explaining. However here are my questions:
    Whites and grounds all get connected at all boxes(not to each other)... by this you mean white to white and ground to ground? But NOT white to ground. Correct?
    And I'm not sure what this means... You don't have enough wires for a constant hot for recepticle downline from last 3 way.
    You could hook a recepticle downline, just tie on to the light wires, however it will be 3/4 way switched with light.

Finally, will I use 14/2 to connect each of the 6cans? Or is 14/3 the preferred wire to connect the 6 cans to each other?

May 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Wow!

May 20, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Stratmando, so the first 3 way gets the power from the electric panel and the 3rd 3 way sends the power to the light fixtures and the 4 way in the middle only controls the switches? meaning, the 4 way switch has no direct power coming from the electric panel or power going directly to the light fixtures?
    Where in your question did you ask how to wirenut wires (or make proper terminations)??

My picture explains your question.

Strat put in a few extras to help the process along. Yet, I do not see where this question was asked??
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 11:33 AM
    All whites together, then all grounds together, the grounds and neutrals needs to stay separate. The Neutral carries current, the ground normally does not.
    With the 14-3 it is JUST enough to control lights but not enough to have a constant hot downline. Sorry, I must have been answering another question similar to yours but they wanted power to a receptacle after the last 3 way. For yours this is not an issue.
    14-2 is perfect for the lights. If you used 14-3 you would have to cap off a wire.)

May 20, 2008, 11:37 AM
    WOW! What do you mean WOW?
    Exactly what I said!

Some of what I'm reading is off base, and that includes your responses, and questions. You may want to hire an electrical contractor to conclude your project--this way your home and persons will be safe. Just trying to help!

May 20, 2008, 11:38 AM
    All whites together, then all grounds together, the ground an neutral needs to stay seperate. The Neutral carries current, the ground normally does not.
    With the 14-3 it is JUST enough to control lights but not enough to have a constant hot downline. Sorry, I must have been answering another simular to yours but they wanted power to a recepticle after the last 3 way. For yours this is not an issue.
    14-2 is perfect for the lights. if you used 14-3 you would have to cap off a wire.)
    Thanks for all you help. It has been very good info. And out of curiousity, what is a downline?

May 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    Exactly what I said!

Some of what i'm reading is off base, and that includes your responses, and questions. You may want to hire an electrical contractor to conclude your project--this way your home and persons will be safe. Just trying to help!
    Again, thanks for your concern... but I think I'll be just fine.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Downline, I was referring a receptacle after all your lights and switches if 1 was to be added at the end could be considered downline, or downstream.

May 20, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Downline, I was refering a recepticle after all your lights and switches if 1 was to be added at the end could be considered downline, or downstream.
    Okay. I got it. A downline connects a switch/lights to a outlet. Therefore the outlet feeds off the same power source as the lights/switches?
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Yes and since you don't need a receptacle after the last switch, you won't need a constant hot to carry through boxes(which would be an extra wire)

May 20, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Thanks for the poor mark Chris!

Just note that the picture I sent you is 100% correct, it's just you have no idea what I'm talking about. No fault on your part--seeing that you are in the learning stage!

Yet, as someone told me. DO NOT hand out bad marks, unless you "know" the facts. Your mark should be removed---do to your lack of knowledge of the trade.

May 20, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    Thanks for the poor mark Chris!

Just note that the picture I sent you is 100% correct, it's just you have no idea what I'm talking about. No fault on your part--seeing that you are in the learning stage!

Yet, as someone told me. DO NOT hand out bad marks, unless you "know" the facts. Your mark should be removed---do to your lack of knowledge of the trade.
    If you notice from my first posting, I am well aware of how the lights and switches are configured. My question was a matter of ensuring I am using the correct wire and the correct switches in the correct spots. And yes, your picture is accurate; although you were "off base" with stating the lights are connected to the first 3 way switch. That is the reason for the poor marK!
    Once again, I will say, thanks for your concern. Your comments will be filed in my "off base" folder! In closing... if I had hired someone like yourself to be my electrician and you came to my home with your smug attitude; I would have fired you in a moment!
    This is a lesson for all home owners; if you feel the contractor you hired is "off base" you should let them go and find someone else.

May 20, 2008, 01:30 PM
    if you notice from my first posting, i am well aware of how the lights and switches are configured. my question was a matter of ensuring i am using the correct wire and the correct switches in the correct spots. and yes, your picture is accurate; although you were "off base" with stating the lights are connected to the first 3 way switch. that is the reason for the poor marK!
    once again, i will say, thanks for your concern. your comments will be filed in my "off base" folder! in closing...if i had hired someone like yourself to be my electrician and you came to my home with your smug attitude; i would have fired you in a moment!
    this is a lesson for all home owners; if you feel the contractor you hired is "off base" you should let them go and find someone else.
    Who said I was a contractor!

Actually, I'm one of the nice ones on this site, you should be happy Stan didn't get to you! LOL!! :D Thanks for the compliment, "it means I care".
    ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Old wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Old wiring has 2 wires which is hot? N how do I hook to new wire?(red,black)

Janitrol wiring to rth3100c wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I've taken off the cover and the wires are all OK but the black one where does it go to? My heater won't come on (well some times the AC come on with out me turning it on.)

Honeywell wiring different from old thermostat wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a non-programmable digital thermostat to replace an analog thermostat with wiring red, white yellow and black. How do I match the wiring? HELP!!

John Deere - My dog ripped the wiring Out - Need Wiring Diagram or photos [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old L110 that ran fine until last week. I think my dog chased a chipmunk up under the hood and in trying to get to him ripped a bunch of wires out. I have spliced back together the obvious wires (color coded) but I have one black wire that I assume is a ground(?) and the two...

Wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am connecting my wiring to a new motherboard, I have a wire running from the front of the case it says S/B SW, but the manual for the mobo has nothing to connect to that, does anyone know what connections to go to or what that means. Thanks :)

View more questions Search