Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Transformer / how to wire afuse on the low voltage side
    I have a Nordyne model E!EB-015HA furance, transformer burns out after 1 minute .It was suggested by one of your good people (can't find I.D. ) to add an inline fuse to the transformer so thefuse blows and not the transformer. Where do I wire the inline fuse. On the 24 v side or the 240 side, which wire this is a Nordyne tyco transformer with BLK BLU RED on the 240 v side and BLKWHT YEL RED ON THE 24 V SIDE.. Thank you for your patience I have electrical knowledge but it is not an everyday thing .I really appreciate your help.
    Retired dept of defence

Sincerely billg
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 06:21 AM
    It really doesn't matter, but most mfr's put it on the secondary side. A 3A blade style automotive fuse is perfect. Use about a 3 amp fuse. Comes from 40 VA/24V * (1.5 to 2).

Doesn't really matter which wire, but use the wire connected to (R) of the thermostat by convention.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2008, 07:42 AM
    You can purchase a resettable transformer for this application. But prior to turning on the power, inspect what wiring you can access for a damaged spot or short. I would next remove one of the power wires (usually Black) going to the burner motor, room air blower and A/C system if so equipped. One at a time and with power off, attach the power wires up and see which load pops the circuit breaker on the transformer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keep frying low voltage transformer [ 3 Answers ]

Heat pump, 13-14 year old Rheem system. 3 or 4 ton unit (don't remember exactly, but I think it is a 3 ton). Air handler mounted on ceiling in garage. I live in Florida where heat is used about 3 weeks out of the year. Recently, we replaced the low voltage transformer in the air handler when it...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

Voltage on ground wire? [ 4 Answers ]

Using a volt meter, I get a 120 v reading when touching the neutral wire and the bare ground wire. I get no reading when touching the black hot wire and the white neutral wire. What would cause this? Also, in what circumstances would a black wire and a white wire be connected with a wire...

Low voltage wiring/transformer [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have low voltage wiring run for undercabinet lighting in a newly remodeled kitchen the end of that low voltage wire run is in an unfinished basement. Along with that I have a 120v that line that is powered or will be from a wall switch upstairs in the kitchen and also ends in the...

View more questions Search