Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ether611 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 04:32 AM
    Paternaty Rights & obligations
    As a father I want to know what my rights over my son are. I live about 800mi from him, and 2 states over. I haven't been able to see him since December of 06. I to know what I am supposed to be doing and what the mother should be doing.

I haven't taken a paternity test, but I am on the birth certificate, and would pass one if needed.

Where do I go to find this laid out for me in simple form?

May 19, 2008, 04:37 AM
    Parental Gardianship
    My son lives with his grandmother on his mothers side, with his mother. I want to know is there anyway that the mother of my son can sign over guardianship or any type of custody with out my consent?

May 19, 2008, 04:40 AM
    Fathers Choice?
    I have been working with Fathers Choice on a full custody case against my Ex. I don't feel to sacure with the management of my case, Hav you heard of them or worked with them? How would you rate them?

May 19, 2008, 04:42 AM
    Child Abandonment
    What is it?

May 19, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Child Support
    I have been supported from the mother of my son for almost a year. (He is 1 and 5 months) There has never been any thing through the courts or any thing legal processed. I have paid maybe paid $800 to the grandmother who physically provides to him. But have no proof. Am I liable? Can I be got for back support?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Yes of course they can, if you don't have cancelled checks or some proof of paymnet yes they can go for back child support,
    Next you need to get order of custody giving you visitiation rights and you need to have set support that is paid.
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 04:50 AM
    In the US it will vary by state, it is basically where one parent or guardian, leaves, has no contract and is not many any support payments. The time frame for this varies by location.
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 04:54 AM
    First each case is based on their own merits, what about your ex makes her an unfit parent not to get at least joint custody. Also have you spoken to local attorneys and are you using a local attorney also ( or are they local for you) As for the group, no I have not heard of them,
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Are you on the birth certificate ? Do you have a court ordered custody agreement with you having visit rights. We have to know your legal status with the child. You shuould be notified of any court action, but then she could lie also.
    Expert

May 19, 2008, 04:58 AM
    OK, you are on the birth certificate, so have you went to court and got a child visitation order stating when you get to see the child. And is there a child support order in place and are you up to date with your child support

May 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
    No. No court orders at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Then you have very little rights. I gather you weren't married to the mother. In such cases, the mother is assumed to have full custody. If you want to see the child, then you have to go to court to get a visitation schedule setup.

Now if you and the mother can agree privately on such a schedule, that would be fine, but you would have no legal recourse to enforce it if she reneges.

May 19, 2008, 07:45 AM
    No court orders. Nothing legal, that I have been notified of...

May 19, 2008, 07:56 AM
    That's what I am doing. I have gotten legal help through Fathers Choice. I just don't know how much they are going to help. Not much so far. What do you know about them?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 19, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Threads merged as they all deal with the same issue.

May 19, 2008, 08:49 AM
    The mother is unfit because:

First, she leaves him with her mother for long periods (Weeks), she is a stipper, and surrunds hersef with that crowd. I know she is on drugs, parties all the time, she has admitted it to me and others. I know she was arrested on I.D. theft and fraud recently. When she is charged it will be her 2nd fraud conviction, and will mean federal time.

May 19, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Fathers Choise
    I am using legal help from Fathers Choice to go for full custody of my son. Have you heard of them? If so what? And do you think I need any other legal assistance?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ether611
    I am using legal help from Fathers Choice to go for full custody of my son. Have you heard of them? If so what? And do you think I need any other legal assistance?
    These should be combined - 3 threads, same question in different form. Answered on other threads.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ether611
    The mother is unfit because:

First, she leaves him with her mother for long periods of time (Weeks), she is a stipper, and surrunds hersef with that crowd. I know she is on drugs, parties all the time, she has admitted it to me and others. I know she was arrested on I.D. theft and fraud recently. When she is charged it wil be her 2nd fraud conviction, and will mean federal time.

She is not legally unfit unless she puts the child in danger - FrChuck will probably come along - he has a chilling experience with this same subject.

Now you may not like her lifestyle but that does not mean she's an unfit mother.

Obviously if she "does time" a guardian will have to be appointed for the child and if DNA proves you are the father, you are the only natural parent who will be able to care for the child and you should apply for guardianship and perhaps custody.

(Incidentally, you don't "pass" a DNA test - it determines paternity, nothing more and nothing less.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obligations on a mortgage contract. [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I signed papers for a Clayton manufactured home,then a week and a half later,the title company called and said we had to come in and sign the papers all over again because of a mistake on their part.What I want to know is-does that mean the original contract is null and void? I am...

Creditor obligations [ 4 Answers ]

In the state of California, is a creditor required by law to "make a reasonable effort" to contact the debtor prior to sending the account to collections? Is the creditor required to state that he has done so on the application for collection services? Need the help. Thanks Richl

Tenant obligations in New Jersey? [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting a private house in New Jersey. Since the temperature has dropped drastically, the house has been very cold. I told the owner and asked for help. The owner after a few weeks finally came by the house and after a long talk, the owner told us that there was nothing that he could do, but...

Renter's obligations after 12-mo lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin. In July 2004 I signed a 12-month lease with all the usual regulations and restrictions. I've now been in this apartment for 25 months. What exactly are the rules after the first 12 months? Do all the same restrictions still apply? If the regulations are the same for the...

View more questions Search