pete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2004, 08:44 AM
    Painting pvc
    Problems painting pvc pipe
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2004, 09:37 AM
    Re: painting pvc
    Most paint will not stick to PVC. Some latexes might even bead up like water. Sanding the surface to break up the gloss may help some. Still, you can paint it, but the paint will not stick right, and will scratch and chip easily. The only real solution is to find a paint or primer designed to stick to PVC. You could ask at the paint stores, but you might do better at an automotive store, perhaps even a professionally oriented one where the local auto body shops buy. Some fabric or hobby stores may have paint meant for flexible vinyl.
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

Jun 9, 2004, 10:42 AM
    Re: painting pvc
    You can buy red PVC pipe. It's made by Trovidur... and probably only available from Germany. In ye olden days the French used to have blue PVC, the Italians white, the English green... that was for sheets, am not sure about piping.

To paint PVC ask yourself a question. How does one 'glue' it? What will make it adhere to itself? Well, as you know, PVC cements are made using Duponts THF... an aromatic hydrocarbon.

So the only paints you could use would be those that can 'attack' the PVC. And they are? Ah, lacquers... and not the standard paints at all. OK?. and to get a good bond, you MUST preclean very well. And to get a better bond even still, abrade with sandpaper to increase the surface area..

Heck.. an idea.. get some colourless THF and add (if it's miscible) some colourant to it. Stinks like hell. Dries very fast. Super bond. Expensive!

Good luck!
    jakeoo1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2006, 03:41 AM
    Try Vinyl Paint?
    You might try using paint formulated for use on vinyl. Keep in mind that any oil based paints WILL compromise the integrity of the pvc pipe so if the pipe is being used for its original intended purpose, ie: carrying water, it will break down significantly more quick if it has been painted with unsuitable paint.
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Jan 25, 2006, 06:37 AM
    You could try using pvc cleaner on a spot and then see if paint will stick to it. This could get expensive but it may work you you really want to paint it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Plastic spray paint
    Last year they came out with a new spray paint to paint plastic. Main add was for painting plastic outside furninture to make it look new.

I bougt several colors and tried them and it worked great

Sorry can't remember the brand, but check out a large hardware store,
    Home Depo or Lowe's, I have never seen it in Walmart or dollar store

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Painting [ 4 Answers ]

I Have an oil painting and can't read the bottom of the name of the artist. It depicts a man sitting at a table praying with glasses on his bible and a apple,bread I think and a bowl of soup. Does anyone know what this painting may be of or who could I ask to give me a value, if it has one.

Painting Fun! [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a place where you can indulge your inner abstract expressionist: move your mouse to splatter virtual paint and click to change the color. To create a hard copy, right-click on the "canvas" and select Print. Painting Fun I am not printing mine out and showing it to anybody. Let's just...

Painting [ 3 Answers ]

Can I apint on treated wood?

Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a painting that has paris etching society ny usa at the top and I believe the name is Diane Emmla Leconte. Can you tell me if she is a artist and if so how much is the painting worth?

View more questions Search