Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hulmesy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 01:41 AM
    Hot Water Tank empty or air lock?
    Hi - my water got cut off yesterday whilst I was having a shower. The water came back on later but I have no hot water - I think the tank probably emptied when I was showering but maybe didn't fill back up. Is this likely to be the problem or maybe there's an air-lock? Whichever can anybody give me some steps to rectify as I'm sure its probably a simple solution!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 19, 2008, 04:53 AM
    If your tank was empty and the element was turned on your element has burned out and will need to be replaced. There is no easy fix for this problem other than replace the element.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 06:39 AM
    What if it was a gas hot water heater? (no element)
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Go to the water heater and attach a garden hose to the drain spout. Empty some water from the heater and feel the cold water pipe at the top of the heater. You should feel the pipe getting cold because fresh water is being replenished as you drain the tank. If fresh water is going in, after turning off drain, now turn on a hot water tap and feel if the hot water pipe at the top of the water heater is hot to the touch. If you do not get hot water but you get flow out of the tank, if it is a gas water heater, check to make sure the pilot is on. If electric, after turning power to the water heater at the breaker, remove the top and bottom inspection ports and press in a small red reset button. Replace the panels and turn the power back on. In an hour or two, turn on your hot water tap and check for warm water. If still no hot water, you will need to get a technician involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Empty, non-fillling Toilet Tank [ 4 Answers ]

I have read and re-read answers to similar questions, but I am still looking for a solution to my problem. My toilet tank is empty! And when I push the handle on the toilet tank, nothing happens. I filled the tank up with water, which took a long time, flushed the toilet and all the water...

The pressure tank is empty on well and pump is running [ 4 Answers ]

Our water shot of the other night. I went out to check the well. The pressure tank is empty. The pressure gage reads 0. the pump turns on every few minutes and pumps about a cup of water. The well materiels all look new. I don't see any out ward damage to anythig. Thanks...

Pressure tank seems empty of water after installing new one [ 5 Answers ]

After installing a new pressure tank, pressure switch, plumbing and setting tank pressure and cut-in and cut out, the tank seems to be very light, (no or little water in tank). Shouldn't the tank be heavy from being half full with water (draw-down amount)? Thanks! Cliff

Small tank in loft empty [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, A radiator began leaking a few weeks ago so I switched it off and left it because I was going away. When I went away I switched the Central Heating off and now I'm back, it won't work, the central heating I mean. Won't fire up. To tell the truth last night it did work - but something is...

Small tank in loft empty [ 3 Answers ]

Is your system a two pipe or one pipe system? A two pipe system has a hot supply which feeds the radiator, and the cold goes back to the boiler. A single pipe system feeds through each radiator in a series. Turning off one radiator in such a system will defeat the whole zone. If it is a...

View more questions Search