Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BobCristo Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 05:08 AM
    How to download
    Hi ,

We find few music album sites, wherein we can just play the music online. What needs to be done if we want to download the music and save them into our local drive. I tried doing that, but always end up with saving as "Html" or "Real Player Presentation" format and cannot be played back Offline. Is there any technology or software available to accomplish this task.

Thanks
    Bob
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Hi, Bob,
    What is your sound card? For example; mine is the Creative Sound Blaster Live.
    I can go to Start/Programs/Creative, then click on Creative Recorder. It is set to record "what you hear". It will record anything that your computer is playing, from anywhere, and can then be saved in My Music, naming the file. It can also be set to the quality and size of file.
    The Windows Recorder doesn't work well, since it only records for about 60 seconds.
    Check you Sound Card Progam, see if you have this option for a Recorder.
    Also, if you wish to buy a program, here is one for $30:
    http://www.download.com/Advanced-Sou...ml?tag=lst-0-4
    This site is CNET.com; which also offers others, with User Ratings.
    Best of luck.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 02:21 AM
    I wouldn't record the sound of the site like that. If the music is copyrighted this is certainly illegal. If the music is just somebody's personal creations you will still need their permission.

The chances are that if you can listen to the music online, there will be a link where you can download/buy the albums too. If you give us an idea of what the site is maybe we can point the link out to you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2006, 07:10 AM
    First, sites that play streaming music usually have some protection against downloading because of copyright issues. LT is correct that part of the reason you can't just download may be because of copyright protections.

Trying to record such streaming music would probably be illegal. Also the quality from using a recorder as Fred suggested would not be great.

There are several legal music sites like iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster and others. Some offer unlimited downloads for a monthly fee, others offer a per track fee.

Also there is free music available online. Lots of new bands will try to build a following by offering free samples. Even some established artists might release a free single to promote a new album.

So there are ways to obtain music legally rather then copying from such sites.
    ---------
    An aside about Fred's retaliatory comments on LT's post. There doesn't have to be a warning in a bank that stealing money is illegal. The original post asked about recording streaming music. The problems described are consistent with the copyright protections used by such sites. So LT's inference that the OP might be dealing with copyrighted music was valid.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Fred, I believe that even without the musician applying for a copyright they still have some protection for their intellectual property. Otherwise, I could be logging onto DeviantArt right now, printing out copies off all my favourite pictures and be flogging them as my own down the local market.

And as Scott pointed out, if somebody comes on here asking us how to crack a safe, should we tell him how to do it? I would say no - not until we are clearer of his intentions. He might be in the safe design business or he might be planning on going down to his local bank and making a "withdrawal".

We should always try to be cautious.

Mar 23, 2006, 06:51 AM
    There are a number of differences. Because Broadcast TV is advertiser supported and Cable TV is subscription supported, you are given a tacit license to view the programming. That license includes being able to make copies for PERSONAL USE only. But if you make a copy and give it to someone else, that goes beyond personal use.

If you are paying for those music channels then you have a right, again, to record for personal use. If you own a copy of an album, you have a right to make copies for personal use. This includes downloading those copies in a different format.

But the key is that you have a license, in some way, that entitles you to license to the music. But if you don't have such a license and you copy the music, or you make copies and distribute them, you are clearly in violation of copyright laws.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Hi, tommyp,
    The difference is; keep it to yourself. Any postings on many sites about copying music to a computer, without paying for it, will result in some telling about the copyright laws.
    It is against the law, but I am not saying I either agree or disagree with it, and I'm not saying do it.
    Keep it to yourself. Best wishes.

Mar 23, 2006, 08:19 AM
    If he were building a bomb would the advice be to "keep it to yourself"? It doesn't matter what the action is, if its illegal our advice should be don't do it.

I will say outright that I am uncomfortable with what the RIAA has done in fighting piracy. I think they held on to an antiquated distribution system for too long. Their energies should have gone into finding ways to work within the digital age, not fight it.

But that doesn't change the law. I don't believe anyone here should do anything that remotely suggests to go against the law.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2006, 08:48 AM
    If it's illegal - don't do it. It doesn't matter how easy it is or that you won't get caught, it's still wrong. Would you run past a grocery and steal an apple from display outside? Hell no. So why would you steal music?

I admit - I've downloaded a lot of MP3s in my time but I stopped at least 12 months ago and buy all my MP3's nowadays.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2006, 09:11 AM
    HI,
    "I don't believe anyone here should do anything that remotely suggests to go against the law."

Remotely suggests?
    I didn't even do that!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    HI,
    Remotely suggests?
    I didn't even do that!
    Well just out of sheer curiosity what does "Keep it to yourself" mean?

Mar 23, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Since Fred brought it up, I have to agree with NeedKarma. In his note Fred TWICE suggests "keep it to your yourself". I don't know what else that means but; "if you do it don't tell anyone you are doing it". And that clearly is a "remote suggestion" to do it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Hi,
    "Keep it to yourself" means if you do, don't tell anyone.
    "Keep it to yourself" also means if you don't, don't tell anyone.
    "Keep it to yourself" means not telling anyone about it, one way or another.

Mar 24, 2006, 12:34 PM
    I don't disagree with your definitions of "Keep it to yourself". But since one of those definitions is "If you do, don't tell", then to use that phrase certainly qualifies as a remote suggestion to do it, just not tell.

Note: YOU bought up the issue by claiming that you didn't "remotely suggest".
    Whether you meant it or not, I don't know. But clearly your use of that phrase does qualify as a remote suggestion. Why not just say you didn't mean it the way it came out instead of trying to deny the obvious?
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2006, 02:58 PM
    "Why not just say you didn't mean it the way it came out instead of trying to deny the obvious?"

I disagree with the quote above from the previous answer.
    It is making an assumption from my answer, which is not correct.

Mar 24, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Fred,

You can't have it both ways. Either you were giving an oblique suggestion to do something illegal, just not tell anyone about it or you meant something different. I don't think any reasonable person is going to interpret;
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    keep it to yourself. Any postings on many sites about copying music to a computer, without paying for it, will result in some telling about the copywrite laws.
    Any other way.

Scott<>
    kriskstar Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Apr 29, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Dude fred you told them to steal the music. I mean you basically told him how since the webmasters stream the songs to keep them from downloading them, you can slap them in the face by recording the music. That is stealing.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Apr 29, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Howdy:

Fred.. how about asking the questioner what website they are using to listen and attempting to download this music from?

Or, are you to afraid to as the answer will support the "pirating" posts you are trying to say you didn't say?

Murray
    kriskstar Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Apr 29, 2006, 11:15 AM
    LOL to SESaskDFC's response

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Download Trojan... [ 8 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have had a virus on my computer for some time now and I knew where it was and never was able to get it removed, I didn't worry about it too much because it didn't seem to be doing much to my comp[uter and because I have spyware doctor, norton corporate, ad aware, search and destroy...

How to download music [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please give me a "site" that I can read about how to download music onto a CD. I'm not very good on the computer... Thanks "Ken"

Can't download ANYTHING! [ 13 Answers ]

My computer has just recovered from a problem in which was solved by the removing of display drivers. While I doubt that shouldn't affect my downloading, I can't think of anything that is wrong with my computer for it to be as such. Now I can't even download new drivers. I need help!! :( ...

DSL Download problem... [ 6 Answers ]

In one of my Friends PC I face the following problem. He has a DSL cable connection, When he tries to connect to Yahoo Mails the System slows down & the Cable connection Properities say 10.0Mbps,send & Receive packets says 1,908 & 1,008 rspectively & doesnot move beyond that value even after 1...

Download [ 1 Answers ]

Can you download all material on a hotmaill account in one go onto a c.d and how please.

View more questions Search