Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Menotyou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 10:19 PM
    Sewage odor from shower drain and washer drain
    I live in a 2 story home. The master bath shower drain has started to smell horribly of sewage the past few weeks as has the drain for the washer in the laundry room directly beneath the master bath. Both drains only have the odor when they seem to be dry (not in use). I have read several snippets from this site and other sources that suggest that the problem with the shower drain is either biofilm or rotting hair mixed with grease from soap. My problem is that I don't want to try a solution for the shower problem only to exacerbate the problem in the laundry room. I am not mechanically minded in any way and am more likely than not to cause a more expensive problem if I have not researched as much as possible (a problem that has happened in the past).

Is it possible that the odors coming from the two sites are one in the same problem? And will the shower solutions I have seen work for both? I need to get this taken care of as soon as I can, I have 3 disabled adults living in my home and no money to spare.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 19, 2008, 06:23 AM
    My problem is that I don't want to try a solution for the shower problem only to exacerbate the problem in the laundry room.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the shower affecting the washer. Unless they are back to back they use separate vents and tie into the main at different spots. Let's do the shower first. The drain will have to be snaked to remove any smelly gunk that's in there. For your shower, First remove the strainer,(TIP: put the screws in the soap dish. They will be hard to replace if they go down the drain.) Now work your snake past the trap and 6 or 7 feet beyond. When you pull the snake back it should have the hair that was smelling up your shower on the auger tip. Now pour 1/4 gallon of bleach down in the trap and let it set over night. Next morning pour a pan of boiling water down the shower to clear what's left and make your drain smell nice. Do that, get back to me and we'll work on the washer. Good luck, Tom
    albee9 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Or you could try bleach first .

Just pour a couple of cups of bleach down each drain that will kill any orders and it will help keep things clear. But if the oder comes back then do the above
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Tom knows I got to jump in at this point with mom's receipe for cleaning that pipe after rodding. Bleach does work great but so does this. Mix 1/2 cup of table salt with 1/2 cup baking soda and dump into the drain followed by a cup of vinegar. Allow to sit overnight and then use that same bucket of boiling water like Tom says. Both rpovide great results , mine's just a bit more fun. You'll know hat I mean when the vinegar hits the soda.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower drain water pouring out drain for washer [ 1 Answers ]

When my shower is running it pours out my washing machine drain. What could be ?

Shower drain leaking out of washer drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two showers upstairs and it just started leaking when the shower is running it will pour water out of the downstairs drain that the washer drains out of. What could this be

Sewage odor coming from Shower drain? [ 1 Answers ]

What is going on? What needs to be done? Thanks.:eek:

Sewage odor from washing machine drain [ 2 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1997. We bought it in 2001 in the winter. There is a problem with sewage odor coming from the washing machine drain in the laudry room when the weather is warm. A couple of years ago we had the septic tank checked and waste water lines extended (I'm not sure if that's what...

Shower Drain Odor [ 1 Answers ]

Our guest shower has a sewer odor, and we have repeatedly filled the trap, but odor remains. It drains very fast, so is probably not clogged. Slab house in AZ, is there likely a roof vent for the shower only? Toilet is nearby. Know nothing about vents.

View more questions Search