Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beltlinerichard Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Computer freezes after monitor sleep mode
    Hello,

I need your help.

I am running a windows XP pro and have recently encountered the following problem. When my monitor(only) goes into sleep mode for an extended period it refuses to restart when I attempt to touch any of the keys.

Reboot does not solve the problem since I am prompted with a "disk boot failure,insert system disk'. When I inserted my XP cd, it still would not reboot. I had to shut the computer off completely and after restart, about ten minutes later, it was OK. This has now occurred 3 times in the last two days.

Only the monitor goes into sleep mode.

The first time it happened I had a prompt at the bottom of the screen that said ' safely remove the maxtor 6l200mo,drive/C' which is the hard disk. This prompt did not reappear, since.

I did a full AVG scan and out of 105,000 files no virus was detected.

I appreciate all insight/suggestions on this problem and please reply using 'Troubleshooting computers for dummies' typelanguage and examples. I am not very knowledgeable of computers

Richard
    Beltlinerichard Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 06:04 AM
    [QUOTE=Beltlinerichard]Hello,

I need your help.

I am running a windows XP pro and have recently encountered the following problem. When my monitor(only) goes into sleep mode for an extended period it refuses to restart when I attempt to touch any of the keys.

Reboot does not solve the problem since I am prompted with a "disk boot failure,insert system disk'. When I inserted my XP cd, it still would not reboot. I had to shut the computer off completely and after restart, about ten minutes later, it was OK. This has now occurred 3 times in the last two days.

Only the monitor goes into sleep mode.

The first time it happened I had a prompt at the bottom of the screen that said ' safely remove the maxtor 6l200mo,drive/C' which is the hard disk. This prompt did not reappear, since.

I did a full AVG scan and out of 105,000 files no virus was detected.

I appreciate all insight/suggestions on this problem and please reply using 'Troubleshooting computers for dummies' typelanguage and examples. I am not very knowledgeable of computers

Richard[/quote

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

In properties, changed the option to 'NEVER' have the screen go onto sleep mode. I the restarted the computer, verified to make sure that it showed the right setting for the monitor, used the computer for several hours and as a test left it on without using it. The monitor went blsck with only the XP logo in the background and the unit froze.

By the way when it freezes I cannot turn off the computer. I can only reboot.

Eventually, I get the following prompt' Disk Boot- failure, Insert system disk & press enter.

Only at this point can I shut the computer off.

I would really appreciate your ideas /suggetions on this

Thanks in advance.

Richard
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Try this registry cleaner, its freeware and may correct some invalid registry information, don't know if this will help, hope it does, but it cannot hurt
    CCleaner - Home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WIN XP freezes at Safe Mode (on logon screen) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Windows XP Pro Safe Mode problem. I have a Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop (nearly three months old). First let me say I religiously keep my antivirus up to date. I have Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware SE, Spy Sweeper, PestPatrol, Microsoft AntiSpyware and I use HijackThis. I...

PC freezes at startup in safe mode [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm here trying to help a friend who's laptop freezes at startup.. The story is this: His PC was functioning well but he had a high ping so he wanted to check his laptop for spam, spyware and viruses. So he started his PC up in safe mode in orther to check all the files. But before he...

Monitor In Sleep Mode, Everything Else Running [ 5 Answers ]

Yeah, I know there's numerous threads with the same problem... That's how I found this place ;) I read through them all and didn't get anything new so I decided to post a new thread... Here's the story... I'm building a new computer for my mom, all the components are brand new from either...

Update: Safe Mode freezes at logon screen post [ 1 Answers ]

Hello once more, I have an update on my Safe Mode freezing problem (the original post is below). I was able finale able to boot into Safe Mode. Even though successful how it did it it still raises a question. I will explain below. If you read my original post at the top of this thread you...

View more questions Search