Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    austria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 08:10 PM
    70 hp johnson
    I have a 70 hp Johnson outboard motor (1987). It starts fine and idles fine, but when I open the throttle it dies on me. It does not run ofer 1000 rpm in the water. It seems like I am getting air in the system. Could there be a problem with the tank or the lines ?
    MackinMaine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 05:23 PM
    I also have a 1987 - 70 HP johnson. I have a similar problem. It starts and idles. I can go slowly up the lake. When I hit the throttle it dies. Also, when I am under appx 1/3 throttle, going slowly up the lake, it dies, starts up and goes a while longer and dies. I have changed the lines, the gas filter, the pump. I have a friend who told me it might be an ignition problem. Did you find out what it was? Does anyone have any idea?
    prolinecody Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 06:58 PM

Clean the carbs
    pontoon2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2011, 10:12 AM
    I had the same problem on my 1983 70 hp evinrude. After cleaning the carbs,rebuilding the fuel pump, and looking for air leaks or blockage I decided to do a compression test. The top cylinder had water in it. Removal of the cylinder head found the head gasket blown.
    After replacement of head gasket the engine runs better than it has in years. Check your sparkplugs, they should be a golden color and not look brand new. Water in the cylinder tends to clean all the carbon deposits off the sparkplug. Good luck
    70 blues Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Does any body know the torque sequence for a 1980 70 hp johnson. I also had the same problem blown head gasket. If you do I would greatly appreciate the info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter 44360 thermostat to a johnson [ 3 Answers ]

We hooked all the wires except blue, black, and brown and are A/C still ont kick on? We have Green -g Red- rc Rc-rh Yellow-y/o White-w/b Orange-y1 Is it hooked up right and our compressor is just shot?

If I show you my Johnson.T [ 10 Answers ]

In Seattle, where high loops don't give the inspectors the warm fuzzies I'm doing a kitchen w/ granite counters and I don't want the airgap on the counter and I don't care for filling the hole with a soap dispenser after final. So I'm back the Johnson Tee (which I haven't installed in years). So...

Michael Johnson-Fastest man ever? [ 4 Answers ]

When Michael Johnson ran 19.32secs for the 200m in Atlanta 96', taking into account he ran a bend but was already hitting top speed when entering the second 100, would his average speed in this race have been fast enough to better the current 100m record of 9.77secs? Is there anyway of working this...

Johnson 200 HELP ? [ 2 Answers ]

First problem we had was debris in the gas tank, so we replaced the main filler hose, and cleaned the tank out. Replaced the water separator, then we changed the fuel pump and filter, and then the spark plugs. Also the reason why we changed the fuel pump was because it was out dated and...

View more questions Search