Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seeker9 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 01:18 PM
    IP - legal expenses
    I have been told that in USA, costs associated with the registration application for an internally developed patent should be capitalized. However, para # 10 of "Statement of Financial Accounting Standards No. 142 (Goodwill and Other Intangible Assets)" says : "Costs of internally developing, maintaining, or restoring intangible assets (including goodwill) that are not specifically identifiable, that have indeterminate lives, or that are inherent in a continuing business and related to an entity as a whole, shall be recognized as an expense when incurred".

So, why does legal work (in connection with internally developed patent applications) gets capitalized in US?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Because it's directly related to the patent, and only to the patent. i.e. it's "identifiable" as belonging to the patent.
    seeker9 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Hello morgaine300, thank you for your answer, which is certainly interesting. However, the sentence from SFAS appears a bit complex : "Costs... that are not specifically identifiable, that have indeterminate lives, or that are inherent in a continuing business and related to an entity as a whole, shall be recognized as an expense when incurred".

How can "costs" have "indeterminate lives"? If an asset's indeterminate life is meant instead, the sentence appears ill-constructed. Your views please.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 02:14 PM
    The “indeterminate lives” refers to the actual asset.

So, a cost related to Goodwill for example. Goodwill has no specific end life. It could remain on the books forever.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Just as an added note, I think the sentence is badly constructed, but not for that reason. "Costs" doesn't mean the same thing as expenses. A "cost" is the cost that goes into something, so costs very well can be assets. i.e. the "cost" to buy a machine may include the machine itself, the sales tax, the transportion, etc. Those are all costs, and they all become part of the cost of the asset. Whereas, the "cost" to repair said machine is expensed. If I were to explain which costs are part of the asset and which should be expensed, the word cost is appropriate.

So the sentence is explaining which costs are going to be counted as an expense, as opposed to being counted as part of the cost of the assets. From that point of view, there's nothing wrong with the sentence.

Now, from a confusing, convoluted point of view, yes I think it's badly stated. i.e. how literally do you interpret "or"? But this is par for the course. That's probably why in college they actually teach how to do it, rather than handing out FASB's statements and letting people try to figure it out themselves. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job related expenses - H1B renewal/legal fees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I paid legal/INS fees for my H1B extension in 2006. This came out of my 2006 income earned in the us... can I claim the visa fees a work related deductible? And the legal fees as a legal expense for "doing or keeping my job" ? Thank uuu

Legal expenses as business deduction [ 1 Answers ]

I had a rental property business 10 years ago structured as a limited partnership which was dissolved 7 years ago. I am now being sued personally for alleged medical problems due to lead paint poisoning from a prior tenant. How can I now claim a business-related deduction for these legal...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

Expenses on H1 B [ 3 Answers ]

I am working on W2 for a consulting company. My client is willing to pay for my expenses at client place directly to me. Can I accept checks from client directly. They are paying from expense account. Is it OK to accept checks from them while you work for another company on W2 and you...

View more questions Search