Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davejag Posts: 308, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2008, 08:28 AM
    I am scared to go to Church
    At an early age my parents always told us to go to church, when I moved out of my house at 18 things changed. It's not that I didn't believe in God I just stopped going to church when I entered University. When Sunday rolled around I made up some sort of excuse not to go, but now I have no excuse and I feel that I need to go. The only problem is for the last 2 years any time I ever prayed or thought of god something would go wrong in my personal life. Let me explain I have prayed about things and then they have gone completely the other way, I am just scared that if I pray today about something it all go wrong. I need some prayers answered or some sort of support about a personal issue but I am just to scared to pray about it or to go to church. Please someone help.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 18, 2008, 09:03 AM
    What is your faith?

If you are Catholic and Christian, God will welcome you home as was the Prodigal Son was welcomed home!

May 18, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    What is your faith?

If you are Catholic and Christian, God will welcome you home as was the Prodigal Son was welcomed home!

My faith is Christian
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by davejag
    At an early age my parents always told us to go to church, when I moved out of my house at 18 things changed. It's not that I didn't believe in God I just stopped going to church when I entered University. When Sunday rolled around I made up some sort of excuse not to go, but now I have no excuse and I feel that I need to go. The only problem is for the last 2 years any time I ever prayed or thought of god something would go wrong in my personal life. Let me explain I have prayed about things and then they have gone completely the other way, I am just scared that if I pray today about something it all go wrong. I need some prayers answered or some sort of support about a personal issue but I am just to scared to pray about it or to go to church. Please someone help.
    You must persevere in faith. What do you expect? If someone claimed he held you in high esteem in order to mooch off you until you got tired of being used like a dish rag what would you do? After a while you'd stop listening to the guy and ignore him, right?

If he came back again and claimed he was your friend, how could he prove it? Obviously his words would be empty gongs and cymbals to you wouldn't they?

1 Corinthians 13 1 If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

That is how you sound to God. You must prove your faith by your works:

Acts Of Apostles 26 20 But to them first that are at Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and unto all the country of Judea, and to the Gentiles did I preach, that they should do penance, and turn to God, doing works worthy of penance.

So, don't expect your prayers answered until you go to Church, ask forgiveness, turn your life around and begin doing the will of God:

Ephesians 2 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus in good works, which God hath prepared that we should walk in them.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Well first prayer is not a wish list we give to God for what we want, in prayer we are first and above all things ask. And we have to remember that pray is also not answered the way we want it to be.

So we don't pray to God to get things we pray to God to thank him for what we do have and to praise him for being the Lord of our life.
    But after being gone for the time, just go back. You wll be welcome
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Prayer is a communication between ourselves and God. Prayer if you will is like a dialogue between two. Having faith is important. Just because you think every time you pray that something goes wrong? Maybe something is going right every single time. You just looking at it differently. As far as church, is there any specific denomination your looking at? It always helps if you have a friend or somebody else that will go with you. Just to start you off at attending church. You are feeling this will help your spirit. Remember to serve others, and help others the best way you know how. Keep faith in everything, and let the guidance of Gods spirit be your light. Continue to pray, but pray according to Gods will. Prayer is communicating, prayer is excepting yes and no answers. Prayer is a lifelong endouver.

There are so many aspects of living a Christian life and prayer is important. To yourselves and to others. Come to gether and gather among other Christians and your outlook of prayer will change your life. Remember that trials, obstacles and everything else in our lives are their to humble us and teach us to grow stronger. In spirit, and faith.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 11:28 AM
    It sounds to me like you need input from respected adults so you can get perspective on how to deal with your problem, whatever it is. If you are at college now, there are plenty of people you can talk to who will maintain confidentiality!!

Meanwhile, go back to church if you wish!. if your problem is fear you're a homosexual, I would suggest that you not go to church until you work out what's going on in your mind. The last thing confused people need is to be condemned for who they are.

You should be able to work this out relatively soon and get back to church asap.

Best wishes,
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Choux, where did that come from??
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 11:34 AM
    It's always about sex of one sort or another, isn't it? :)
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Not really, not to me anyway.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
    I was trying to help by giving a specific example... for young people, they are reticient about talking about sex to adults. :)
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

May 18, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davejag
    At an early age my parents always told us to go to church, when I moved out of my house at 18 things changed. It's not that I didn't believe in God I just stopped going to church when I entered University. When Sunday rolled around I made up some sort of excuse not to go, but now I have no excuse and I feel that I need to go.

Then that is God telling your soul of your need to return to church.

The only problem is for the last 2 years any time I ever prayed or thought of god something would go wrong in my personal life. Let me explain I have prayed about things and then they have gone completely the other way, I am just scared that if I pray today about something it all go wrong. I need some prayers answered or some sort of support about a personal issue but I am just to scared to pray about it or to go to church. Please someone help.
    Know that the spirit of anti-Christ is strong in this world and being the liar and cheat that he is will try to make you believe that the harder you pray to God the harder things will become for you and actually go the other way. It won't! What has happened here is that the first time things went wrong for you and went the opposite way, you embraced the fact that you were praying about it. But know and understand that PRAYER to God is very SACRED! When you pray for something one of three things will usually happen. God will grant your request; God will not grant it; or He will allow what you are praying for to continue in His Love for you in order that you learn a lesson that needs to be learned that could not be without the impediment of the moment. Negative things that happen in life should always be understood to be directives for one to reach out to God and re-align with Him once again. This helps to restore their Faith in Him.

You must never be afraid to pray! That is one of satan's greatest lies to make people believe that their prayers will not be heard and that something bad will come of it. God in all of His omniscience already knows how He will respond to your request(s). Simply allow Him to take control of the situation. Leave it to God! Do not fall prey to the devil's fear that he would like to instill in you. Again, he is a liar! His words should mean literally nothing to a good Christian. But don't you see what is actually going on? Satan has seen that you want to return to church and since the church is his enemy, he has started his demonic propaganda to try to scare you and sway your faith. But be Strong! Because God is testing your faith and your strength too, you know! Who do you owe your allegiance to -- the demonic monstrosity // or Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ! You already know the answer to that. Now you must lose your fear of praying and of going to church.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of POWER, and of LOVE, and of a SOUND MIND." -- 2 TIMOTHY 1:7 (KJV)

The only way to lose that fear is to continue to pray To the FATHER In the Name of Jesus for liberation from that unfounded fear. As I said before, God is not sending you the opposite of what you pray for, rather it is the spirit of the anti-Christ who is actually doing that. Stand Up For God!! Lose that fear and become the Christian person you were always meant to be! You CAN do it but it all starts with YOU. I shall be glad to offer prayer in this situation and hope to know that you have returned to this very forum to let us know how you have continued praying and God is now helping you in your life in a very Positive and Loving way! Because, you know what, He will if you only have FAITH in Him!

"And they overcame him by the Blood of the Lamb," -- REVELATION 12:11 (KJV)

These Scriptures are likewise very powerful when faced with temptations and attacks from the anti-Christ:

"If I walk in the Light, as He is in the Light, I have fellowship as one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son, cleanseth me from all sin." -- 1 JOHN 1:7 (KJV)

"Much more then, being justified by His blood, I shall be Saved from wrath through Him." -- ROMANS 5:9 (KJV)

May the Peace of God Be Always With You and With Your Spirit! Go with God.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 18, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    1 Corinthians 13 1 If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
    Charity means love. Verse 1 The languages (tongues) of people would be foreign languages. But the language of angels can only mean speech that people cannot understand. The Christians at Corinth were not using this gift in the right way. Without love, their speech would be only a noise. Their speech would also be like a musical instrument that produces a loud crash, but no harmony.
    Verse to the Christians at Corinth also emphasized 'knowledge'. But the person with the deepest knowledge and the greatest faith is worth nothing without love.
    Paul was teaching love as a way of life. Not about doing the rights things to have your prayers answered.

Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    So, don't expect your prayers answered until you go to Church, ask forgiveness, turn your life around and begin doing the will of God:
    I would like to politely disagree here. You don't have to prove yourself for God to answer prayers. God answers the prayers even of those who have not accepted Him. When the alcoholic has hit the bottom of the bottle and cries up "Ok God if you are really up there, save me!" God does! Prayer is communication with God. It is not a list of things for God to do. Though, we can make our requests for things to God. When we pray for something that is in line with God's will for our lives, He is happy to do it. And sometimes He knows better for our lives and doesn't. But I don't believe that God ever hears a prayer and says "Nah I am going to make it worse for you instead".

What is more likely happening is that satan is very capable and does interfere in our lives especially when we pray. Especially when you are a "baby" Christian. Pray for something, watch things go wrong, and blame God... that is satan's motive. So, he can say "see God won't take care of you, He's turned His back", or "see He can't help you" and hope that you will turn your back on God. People who pray are often attacked. Don't be deceived! Being a Christian isn't always easy. But prayer is answered... sometimes we do not hear, sometimes the answer is no, sometimes not right now and sometimes yes. But you don't ever have to be "good enough" or "prove yourself", you will never accomplish either, for God to listen to you.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tawnynkids
    Charity means love.
    True.

Verse 1 The languages (tongues) of people would be foreign languages. But the language of angels can only mean speech that people cannot understand.
    It could also mean beautiful speech that anyone can understand.

The Christians at Corinth were not using this gift in the right way.
    If you read the previous chapter, you will find that St. Paul is describing the various Spiritual Gifts and telling them that they should pray and desire these Spiritual Gifts for the benefit of their brethren.

Without love, their speech would be only a noise. Their speech would also be like a musical instrument that produces a loud crash, but no harmony.
    That is exactly my point. If one does not persevere in loving God, God will not hear his prayer. That is why the Scripture says:

James 5 16 Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.

Verse to the Christians at Corinth also emphasized ‘knowledge’. But the person with the deepest knowledge and the greatest faith is worth nothing without love.
    Paul was teaching love as a way of life.
    That is true. But I fail to see how that opposes what I said. Remember, Scripture is one whole. There is not one message here and an opposing message there. If one must have love in order to communicate and relate to other people, one must surely have love to communicate in prayer to God. That is why it is the First Commandment:

Deuteronomy 6 5 Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole strength.

And why Scripture also says:

John 14 23 Jesus answered, and said to him: If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and will make our abode with him.

1 Cor 13 4 Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; 5 Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil; 6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8 Charity never falleth away:

Faith and love are not things which we just mouth with our lips. They are things which we prove with our actions. That is why Scripture also says:

Acts Of Apostles 26 20 But to them first that are at Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and unto all the country of Judea, and to the Gentiles did I preach, that they should do penance, and turn to God, doing works worthy of penance.

Not about doing the rights things to have your prayers answered.
    Doing the right things is precisely what the Gospel is about:

Matthew 25 34 Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in:

I would like to politely disagree here.
    Certainly. We are free to disagree with each other.

You don't have to prove yourself for God to answer prayers.
    Certainly, you do.

Proverbs 17 3 As silver is tried by fire, and gold in the furnace: so the Lord trieth the hearts.

Do you not know that it is impossible to please God without faith?

Hebrews 11 6 But without faith it is impossible to please God. For he that cometh to God, must believe that he is, and is a rewarder to them that seek him.

And how do you prove your faith in God? Is it simply by saying, "I believe"? No.

7 By faith Noe, having received an answer concerning those things which as yet were not seen, moved with fear, framed the ark for the saving of his house, by the which he condemned the world; and was instituted heir of the justice which is by faith. 8 By faith he that is called Abraham, obeyed to go out into a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. 9 By faith he abode in the land, dwelling in cottages, with Isaac and Jacob, the co-heirs of the same promise. 10 For he looked for a city that hath foundations; whose builder and maker is God.

By faith we obey the Word of God. Without faith, we don't.

Ecclesiasticus 15
    21 He hath commanded no man to do wickedly, and he hath given no man license to sin: 22 For he desireth not a multitude of faithless and unprofitable children.

God answers the prayers even of those who have not accepted Him.
    Not so. Otherwise the words, "without faith it is impossible to please God", would be meaningless.

When the alcoholic has hit the bottom of the bottle and cries up "Ok God if you are really up there, save me!" God does!
    Not so. If God has saved such a person it is probably because of the prayers of others on his behalf.

Luke 5
    18 And behold, men brought in a bed a man, who had the palsy: and they sought means to bring him in, and to lay him before him. 19 And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in, because of the multitude, they went up upon the roof, and let him down through the tiles with his bed into the midst before Jesus. 20 Whose faith when he saw, he said: Man, thy sins are forgiven thee.

But it is when that alcoholic says, "God, now I know that you are really up there!!! Please save me!"

Mark 9
    16 And one of the multitude, answering, said: Master, I have brought my son to thee, having a dumb spirit. 17 Who, wheresoever he taketh him, dasheth him, and he foameth, and gnasheth with the teeth, and pineth away; and I spoke to thy disciples to cast him out, and they could not. 18 Who answering them, said: O incredulous generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I suffer you? Bring him unto me. 19 And they brought him. And when he had seen him, immediately the spirit troubled him; and being thrown down upon the ground, he rolled about foaming. 20 And he asked his father: How long time is it since this hath happened unto him? But he said: From his infancy:

21 And oftentimes hath he cast him into the fire and into waters to destroy him. But if thou canst do any thing, help us, having compassion on us. 22 And Jesus saith to him: If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. 23 And immediately the father of the boy crying out, with tears said: I do believe, Lord: help my unbelief.

Prayer is communication with God.
    Yes, but a double minded prayer which says, "God, IF you are up there, help me!" is odious to the ears of God:

James 1 8 A double minded man is inconstant in all his ways.

Apocalypse 3 16 But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold, not hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.

It is not a list of things for God to do.
    It may or may not be. If you have a list of things you want from God and you have the faith and confidence in Him to ask Him for them, by all means, do so. Is that not what we do with our earthly fathers? And is not our heavenly Father much greater than they?

Though, we can make our requests for things to God. When we pray for something that is in line with God's will for our lives, He is happy to do it. And sometimes He knows
    And SOMETIMES He knows??

God always knows!

better for our lives and doesn't. But I don't believe that God ever hears a prayer and says "Nah I am going to make it worse for you instead".
    But God frequently hears a prayer and says "no".

Job 42 8 Take unto you therefore seven oxen, and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer for yourselves a holocaust: and my servant Job shall pray for you: his face I will accept, that folly be not imputed to you: for you have not spoken right things before me, as my servant Job hath.

Do you see how God would only accept Job's prayers?

What is more likely happening is that satan is very capable and does interfere in our lives especially when we pray. Especially when you are a "baby" Christian. Pray for something, watch things go wrong, and blame God... that is satan's motive. So, he can say "see God won't take care of you, He's turned His back", or "see He can't help you" and hope that you will turn your back on God. People who pray are often attacked. Don't be deceived! Being a Christian isn't always easy. But prayer is answered... sometimes we do not hear, sometimes the answer is no, sometimes not right now and sometimes yes. But you don't ever have to be "good enough" or "prove yourself", you will never accomplish either, for God to listen to you.
    I respectfully disagree. For if you have not faith, God will not listen to you.

Romans 4 19 And he was not weak in faith; neither did he consider his own body now dead, whereas he was almost an hundred years old, nor the dead womb of Sara. 20 In the promise also of God he staggered not by distrust; but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God:

Sincerely,

De Maria
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 18, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Ok De Maria I only have a few things to say. If what you say is true then the testimony of thousands that were once not saved and give God the glory for answering their prayer has just been annihilated. God does hear the unsaved, or no one could obtain salvation. If God doesn't hear you until after you are saved then He won't hear you to save you. That just isn't biblical.

Second, you can't pick out individual scripture, take them out of context and use them to try to show whatever you want. It simply does not work that way.

Thirdly, I did not only say "God knows sometimes", there is no comma after that. The whole statement is that sometimes God knows better for our lives and doesn't do what we want. Since that is not every single time, it is sometimes. SO, SOMETIMES the answer is no.

We do not live under the law anymore. Once you have accepted salvation there are no conditions on our salvation or God listening to us. The rain falls on the just and the unjust. He does bless the unsaved just as He blesses the saved. God is a God of great mercy and grace.

Tell a believer that your prayers are not being listened to because you are not doing this or that is legalism. It will invoke fear in a person, and fear is of satan, not God. Fear separates us from God, God wants us closer not farther away from Him. God is a God of relationship, the new testament is all about our relationship with God not living under the law. If we were only good enough by our "works", i.e. going to church, we would never be good enough to be heard and the new testament would be void.

Dave, God will not stop listening to you because you do not go to church. God instructs us to go to church to fellowship and learn. Through Christ you have authority over satan. Use it and pray through the attacks being brought against you by satan, rebuke him. IF God has convicted you to go back to church it is only because God wants you closer to Him. He will not punish you and give you great fear of the thing that will deepen your relationship with Him. Only satan will do that.
    nos4life00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Man I really don't mean to sound rude but some of these answers are really poor advice, some of them. I know how hard it is to leave a church and then go back again, and you are truly returning like the prodigal son which is great, that is exactly what god wants. Now you need to know that god loves the sinner but hates the sin, but he will not ever punish you while you are here on earth that judgment and punishment is in your after life so never ever think that bad things are happening to you because of god. What's happening is, weather you believe that there is a devil or not doesn't matter because there is one, there is always good and evil light and dark right and wrong so you can be sure that there is a devil and what's happening is that (NOT the devil directly) but through his works he is trying to keep you as far from god as possible to take your soul later on, its all a game of souls in his wickedness. Hes making you despair, one of mans worst sins. What you need to do is definitely attend church, more than once a week if you can for a month or so, pray daily (humbly, humility is like mans atomic bomb to fight with in all corners of your life) to god and most definitely to saint Michael highest of the arch angels the angel that cast Satan into hell when he rejected gods plan, saint Michael will protect you and help you to restore your life. Remember that things may (or may not) get worse before they get better, look at other instances in your life when this fact has held true. But try what I've said, hey what do you have to lose. Good luck.

Let me also say that you CAN NOT read the bible in a vacuum, because it wasen't written in one. You need to take into account the life and times in which it was written. Also remember, and this is huge, you need to get and or read a bible with the absolute best translation you can get because there are tons of people in the world arguing over passeges that they think are right but have been very poorly translated or twisted around by "scollars".
    Kati-Katt Posts: 77, Reputation: -2

May 18, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Well I think the only thing that's wrong is you don't have faith that things will go well and that gives the devil a foothole and he'll make that hole bigger and turn it into fear. Without God people are nothing, And when Jesus paid the price for us all and died on the cross he was afraid, I mean think about it.. all of these strange people who think he is full of lies when he said he was the son of God want to suddenly kill him. How would you feel?. Thats right afraid. But Jesus took that fear and prayed to God and asked him for the help and Faith he needed to go through with this so we all could be free. It hurt getting beat up and hung from a cross to die, I bet it hurt a lot.. but it hurt him more to see us suffer from sin. Sin is still around though, because people have doubts and lose their faith a lot. Just believe that the best will happen and trust that God is there... he will help you if you let him and believe that he can do anything, even what seems the impossible. Talk to a friend or amily member that believes in God and get them to go to church with you so you don't feel alone. Get prayer to get closer to God, and accept him back into your life and dedicate your heart to be owned by him, and when you wake up or go to bed pray for the blood of protection to keep all bad things away from you and to protect you and the ones ou love from evil. Look to the Lord for everything. If you ask it shall be given. Believe, that's the key. You got to have faith.

May 18, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Thank you for all your answers I have taken ever single answer and have processed it. I know where I stand, I have gotten a little closer to my conclusion that I have known. Some of you have understood my view and concern better then the others, unfortunately some of you missed the point of my concern which is completely understandable. Thank you again for all your help.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tawnynkids
    Ok De Maria I only have a few things to say. If what you say is true then the testimony of thousands that were once not saved and give God the glory for answering their prayer has just been annihilated. God does hear the unsaved, or no one could obtain salvation. If God doesn't hear you until after you are saved then He won't hear you to save you. That just isn't biblical.
    I thought I supported each of my arguments with Scripture.

Second, you can't pick out individual scripture, take them out of context and use them to try to show whatever you want. It simply does not work that way.
    I don't believe I took any of my verses out of context.

However, if you can provide a Scripture that says that God listens to the unfaithful or to the unbeliever, then I will reconsider what I've said.

Thirdly, I did not only say "God knows sometimes", there is no comma after that. The whole statement is that sometimes God knows better for our lives and doesn't do what we want. Since that is not every single time, it is sometimes. SO, SOMETIMES the answer is no.
    I agree. So we can put that to bed.

We do not live under the law anymore. Once you have accepted salvation there are no conditions on our salvation or God listening to us. The rain falls on the just and the unjust. He does bless the unsaved just as He blesses the saved. God is a God of great mercy and grace.
    Are you saying that the unjust and the unsaved go to heaven?

Tell a believer that your prayers are not being listened to because you are not doing this or that is legalism.
    You have a different definition of believer than I do.

A believer is someone who acts upon his beliefs. Not someone who merely mouths the words.

Its like the great acrobat who crossed the Grand Canyon riding a bicycle balanced on a wire. When he came back he asked, "For my next trick, I will cross the canyon with a man riding on my back. Do you believe I can do it?" Everyone clapped and said yes, of course!!

Then he asked for a volunteer.

It will invoke fear in a person, and fear is of satan, not God.
    Not so.

Ecclesiasticus 21 13 The perfection of the fear of God is wisdom and understanding.

Fear of the world is not from God:

2 Timothy 1 7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear: but of power, and of love, and of sobriety.

Fear separates us from God, God wants us closer not farther away from Him. God is a God of relationship, the new testament is all about our relationship with God not living under the law. If we were only good enough by our "works", i.e. going to church, we would never be good enough to be heard and the new testament would be void.
    That is not Biblical:

There are works of the flesh which we must avoid doing.

Galatians 5

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury,20 Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects, 21 Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God.

Now, if we must not do those things, which if you examine them, are all forbidden by the Law of Moses, then we must do other things.

Oh, yeah, St. Paul lists those as well:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is, charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, longanimity, 23 Mildness, faith, modesty, continency, chastity. Against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's, have crucified their flesh, with the vices and concupiscences. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not be made desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying on another.

Chapter 6 continues:

1 Brethren, and if a man be overtaken in any fault, you, who are spiritual, instruct such a one in the spirit of meekness, considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2 Bear ye one another's burdens; and so you shall fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if any man think himself to be something, whereas he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. 4 But let every one prove his own work, and so he shall have glory in himself only, and not in another. 5 For every one shall bear his own burden.

So, we must do something. We must bear fruit. And the things we do are all in accordance with the Law of Moses:

Romans 3 31 Do we, then, destroy the law through faith? God forbid: but we establish the law.

1 John 2 3 And by this we know that we have known him, if we keep his commandments.

Romans 2 13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

So, please provide the support for your contention that God we don't have to keep the law or do the works of God and the Scripture which says that God listens to the faithless and the unbelieving.

Dave, God will not stop listening to you because you do not go to church.
    Dave, I'd love to preach to you a Gospel of milk and honey, but I have to be realistic. Here is what Scripture says about missing the Mass:

Hebrews 10 25 Not forsaking our assembly, as some are accustomed; but comforting one another, and so much the more as you see the day approaching. 26 For if we sin wilfully after having the knowledge of the truth, there is now left no sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain dreadful expectation of judgment, and the rage of a fire which shall consume the adversaries. 28 A man making void the law of Moses, dieth without any mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 How much more, do you think he deserveth worse punishments, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath esteemed the blood of the testament unclean, by which he was sanctified, and hath offered an affront to the Spirit of grace?

Not forsaking the Assembly means not missing the Mass. Notice that if anyone does miss the Mass, they "trod under foot the Son of God". That is because Communion consists of the Body of Christ.

Notice that if anyone misses the Mass they also, " hath esteemed the blood of the testament unclean, by which he was sanctified,". That is because Communion also consists of the Blood of Christ.

And finally, by missing the Mass, they have insulted the Spirit of grace, which is the Holy Spirit.

So, unless Tawny can produce a Scripture which says, "by all means, miss the Assembly whenever you like." I suggest you stick to believing Scripture and the Church.

God instructs us to go to church to fellowship and learn.
    And to unite ourselves with Him:

1 Corinthians 10 17 For we, being many, are one bread, one body, all that partake of one bread.

Through Christ you have authority over satan.
    Through a true faith in Christ.

Use it and pray through the attacks being brought against you by satan, rebuke him. IF God has convicted you to go back to church it is only because God wants you closer to Him. He will not punish you and give you great fear of the thing that will deepen your relationship with Him. Only satan will do that.
    I agree with that. In fact it ties in very well with what I suggested earlier:

So, persevere in your faith and love of God. Pray continually.

May God bless you both (Tawny and Dave) and your families.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Kati-Katt Posts: 77, Reputation: -2

May 18, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Well I think the only thing that's wrong is you don't have faith that things will go well and that gives the devil a foothole and he'll make that hole bigger and turn it into fear. Without God people are nothing, And when Jesus paid the price for us all and died on the cross he was afraid, I mean think about it.. all of these strange people who think he is full of lies when he said he was the son of God want to suddenly kill him. How would you feel?. Thats right afraid. But Jesus took that fear and prayed to God and asked him for the help and Faith he needed to go through with this so we all could be free. It hurt getting beat up and hung from a cross to die, I bet it hurt a lot.. but it hurt him more to see us suffer from sin. Sin is still around though, because people have doubts and lose their faith a lot. Just believe that the best will happen and trust that God is there... he will help you if you let him and believe that he can do anything, even what seems the impossible. Talk to a friend or amily member that believes in God and get them to go to church with you so you don't feel alone. Get prayer to get closer to God, and accept him back into your life and dedicate your heart to be owned by him, and when you wake up or go to bed pray for the blood of protection to keep all bad things away from you and to protect you and the ones ou love from evil. Look to the Lord for everything. If you ask it shall be given. Believe, that's the key. You got to have faith.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to go to church? [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get my children baptised does this mean I need to go to church every week?

Church council [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - I have been advised that since minors cannot be held legally responsible, they should not serve on a council where financial decisions need to be made - I live in New York - is this true? And if so what is the minimum age for election to a church council? Thanks, Howard

Church Organist [ 2 Answers ]

There was a church down in Texas that had a very big-busted organist. Her breasts were so huge that they bounced and jiggled while she played the organ. Unfortunately, she distracted the congregation considerably. The very proper church ladies were appalled. They said something had to be done...

View more questions Search