Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gerardogdl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2003, 06:12 PM
    Why people from The you.S. Are call Yanquis
    I would like to know Why people from The United States are call Yanquis?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2003, 10:17 AM
    Why people from The you.S. Are call Yanquis
    Yanqui
    WAV Select an audio format to hear this word.
    AIFF

Yan
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Yankees are Yanks with thanks.
    During the Colonies Vs England revolution the English sang an tavern song and attributed to the revolutionary soldiers thinking it would belittle them.
    It did not. Rather the minutemen and other American soldiers took up the song and sang it often and louder, even when marching.
    They change the words a little to be more fitting for them to sing it.
    Here is the lyrics to that song...
    <><><><>
    Yankee Doodle went to town
    A-riding on a pony
    Stuck a feather in his hat
    And called it macaroni.

Yankee Doodle, keep it up
    Yankee Doodle dandy
    Mind the music and the step
    And with the girls be handy.

Father and I went down to camp
    Along with Captain Gooding
    And there we saw the men and boys
    As thick as hasty pudding.

Yankee Doodle dandy
    And with the girls be handy

There was Captain Washington
    Upon a slapping stallion
    A-giving orders to his men
    I guess there was a million.

Yankee Doodle dandy

Yankee Doodle went to town
    With a load of switches
    When he caught the Red Coat Brits
    He whipped the sons of *****es

Yankee Doodle dandy
    <><><>
    Thus the USA Americans are Yankees or Yanks and proud of it.
    We thank the English for the title.
    Hope that answers your question.
    Peace and kindness,
    arcura (Fred):) :)
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 8, 2006, 01:28 PM
    The term is used by some members of other communities not just some Hispanics.
    It is usually associated with political issues and is usually spoken in frustration after a perceived wrong and not in an effort to humiliate or based on some sense of superiority.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2006, 09:31 PM
    Call me a Yankee and I'll say thank you.
    Fred
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Apr 10, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Me too... Darn proud to be a Yankee!
    DoYouRealliMeanThat Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Im from the uk and where I live no one says yankee and the only place I've herd it is a movie called Green Street
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 03:55 AM
    The origin of the word goes further back to a time when the Dutch and English colonized the area around New York City .Possibly the Dutch names Jan and Kees was merges together as a derisive slang of Dutch settlers by English settlers[ The name Jan pronounced with a Y ]

Another possible explanation that might explain the hispanic use of the word is the Algonquian term that sounded almost the same (something like eeankee)which the Spanish transcribed as 'Yanqui' .The word meant 'cowardly', an adjective that the Native Americans could very well have applied to the English settlers.

Re : Yankeee Doodle
    The word "doodle" meant "simpleton" or "fool".The earliest known lyric to Yankee Doodle was this .

Brother Ephraim sold his Cow
    And bought him a Commission;
    And then he went to Canada
    To fight for the Nation;
    But when Ephraim he came home
    He proved an arrant Coward,
    He wouldn't fight the Frenchmen there
    For fear of being devour'd.

But the song itself goes back to the Dutch harvesting song " Yanker dudel doodle down" ,which goes back to the 15th century.
    VSPrasad Posts: 108, Reputation: 10

Sep 22, 2007, 03:53 PM
    1. Peoples somebody from United States: somebody who is from the United States ( informal ) ( offensive in some contexts )

2. U.S. somebody from Northern state: somebody who comes from a Northern state of the United States, especially a soldier fighting on the side of the Union during the Civil War ( offensive in some contexts )

3. U.S. somebody from New England: somebody who comes from one of the states of New England ( offensive in some contexts )

4. code word for letter "Y": a code word for the letter "Y," used in international radio communications

Yan·kee·dom noun

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...fid=1861706721

Noun informal 1 often derogatory an American. 2 US an inhabitant of New England or one of the northern states. 3 historical a Federal soldier in the Civil War. For a bet on four or more horses to win (or be placed) in different races.

— ORIGIN perhaps from Dutch Janke, from Jan ‘John’.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/yankee?view=uk

Yank - AMERICAN

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...1892&dict=CALD

1683, a name applied disparagingly by Dutch settlers in Nieuw Amsterdam (New York) to English colonists in neighboring Connecticut. It may be from Du. Janke, lit. "Little John," dim. Of common personal name Jan; or it may be from Jan Kees familiar form of "Johan Cornelius," or perhaps an alt. of Jan Kees, dial. Variant of Jan Kaas, lit. "John Cheese," the generic nickname the Flemings used for Dutchmen. It originally seems to have been applied insultingly to Dutch, especially freebooters, before they turned around and slapped it on the English. In Eng. A term of contempt (1750s) before its use as a general term for "native of New England" (1765). Shortened form Yank in reference to "an American" first recorded 1778.

(nautical) - A large triangular headsail used in light or moderate winds and set on the fore topmast stay. Unlike a genoa it does not fill the whole fore triangle, but is set in combination with the working staysail.

(baseball) - A player that plays for the New York Yankees.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Yankee

The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion—except of course for baseball fans.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/60/Y0006000.html

A native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, esp. of one of the northeastern states that sided with the Union in the American Civil War.

A federal or northern soldier in the American Civil War.

A word used in communications to represent the letter Y.

(Military) the NATO name for a class of Soviet ballistic missile submarine, nuclear powered, with up to 16 missile launchers.

http://www.infoplease.com/dictionary/Yankee

1683, a name applied disparagingly by Du. Settlers in New Amsterdam (New York) to English colonists in neighboring Connecticut. It may be from Du. Janke, lit. "Little John," dim. Of common personal name Jan; or it may be from Jan Kes familiar form of "John Cornelius," or perhaps an alt. of Jan Kees, dial. Variant of Jan Kaas, lit. "John Cheese," the generic nickname the Flemings used for Dutchmen. It originally seems to have been applied insultingly to Dutch, especially freebooters, before they turned around and slapped it on the English. In Eng. A term of contempt (1750s) before its use as a general term for "native of New England" (1765); during the American Revolution it became a disparaging British word for all American native or inhabitants. Shortened form Yank in reference to "an American" first recorded 1778.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Yankee

Historically, the term usually refers to residents of New England, as used by Mark Twain in "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". Outside the USA, Yank or Yankee is one of the lesser derogatory slang terms for any American, whether from New England or not.

Johnathan Hastings of Cambridge, Massachusetts was attributed around 1713 to regularly using the word as a superlative, generally in the sense of excellent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee
    Yanqui Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 09:09 AM
    In some parts of the world, particularly in Latin American countries, and in East Asia, yankee or yanqui (phonetic Spanish spelling of the same word) is used sometimes politically associated with anti-US sentiment and used in expressions such as "Yankee go home" or "we struggle against the yanqui, enemy of mankind" (words from the Sandinista anthem).

In Argentina and Paraguay, however, the term refers to someone who is from the US and is not usually derogatory.

Yankee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
    yan·qui Audio Help /ˈyɑŋki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yahng-kee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun, plural -quis Audio Help /-kis/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[-kees] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. (often initial capital letter) Spanish. (in Latin America) Yankee; a citizen of the U.S.
    Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

By the way the license plate on my truck is "YANQUI". I'm from Arizona and I'm also Hispanic. If the meaning of Yanqui is meant to be derogatory then I'm extra proud to be called a Yanqui.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 09:08 PM
    I also am proud to be a Yankee.
    The term has a marvelous history for those who love freedom and liberty.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Call? [ 5 Answers ]

I went out with a girl three times and then she called me and said she didn't want to go out anymore, its been three weeks can I call her? Or just let it go?

Call or not to call [ 6 Answers ]

When I was younger I always seemed to know what to do. Now, I feel like I don't have a clue. I met this guy on a dating service. We had our second date this past Sat. He orig. wanted to go out Fri but, he called on Thurs and I didn't speak to him till Fri. Question... When it comes to...

Should I call him? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I recently met this guy in a bar and he asked me out. We went on a date, had a really great time, ended the night with a lovely kiss. We agreed that we both enjoyed ourselves and would see each other again. A few days later he went on holiday for a week. He came back on Monday and I haven't...

Will he call ? [ 28 Answers ]

I know this sounds like everyother post, but here goes anyway. My boyfriend and I were together 11 1/2 months. We had a whirlwind relationship. We both have the same lifestyle. Work summers and take the winters off. We were SO in love, never fought. We spent the whole winter together traveling and...

Should I call? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been dating a girl for seven month's. We have not had sex and I am getting frustrated. I like this girl evertime we seem to be getting closer, boom the criticism starts on me. I was over to her place four day's ago and she exploded with criticism. I told her that I did'nt like to be treated...

View more questions Search