Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    safat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 07:48 PM
    sales return and some other questions
    Hi,
    I have too many question :o
    assuming that
    Purchases are recorded when the company receives the goods and sales are recognized when the goods sold are delivered to the customers.

1. If a customer returned a product and we issued a credit note for the amount that product worths. How do we journalize this? I know it should be in General journal but what will be the accounts which are affected?
    the question was
    on 13 may customer A returned $800 worth of product. Issued a credit note for 800.

2. what do we do if we returned a product and received credit note?

3.what do we do if we received a sales order to deliver product X to customer B for $500 on13th of may. It doesn't involve any cash or inventory so does it go to the general journal/?
    is this revenue received in advanced or account receivable?

4. and what do we do when we delivered the product X to the customer B on 23rd?

5. what is going to be journal entry for customer B when they order the product is this Cash payment journal? Where do we post it in ledger?

6. what about when they receive the order?

thanks
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

May 23, 2008, 08:52 PM
    I think to simplfy the process, you should reverse entires for sales and/or purchase returns. This is done by journal entires.naturally gross profit originally booked is also reversed by nature of the journal entries.
    safat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2008, 01:44 AM
    1)
    Dr. Sales Returns and Allowances 800
    Cr. Accounts Payable – Credit Note to customer 800

2)
    Dr. Accounts Receivable
    Cr. Purchase Returns and Allowances

3)
    Since have received NO Cash, and you don't record Sales until you deliver the goods, no JE is needed.

4)
    Dr. Accounts Receivable – Customer B 500
    Cr. Sales 500

5)
    Assuming Customer B has the same policies we do in that they don't record purchases until the goods are received….Then no JE is needed when they place the order.

6)
    When they receive the order.
    Dr. Purchases
    Cr. Accounts Payable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examp [ 10 Answers ]

Accounting Entries for purchase & sales return and credit purchase & sales with examples

New to sales [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have just got a promotion at work and will be starting as a sales representative for an electrical wholesaler in October and was looking for any advice, help or useful info, books or websites. Anything will be useful because as much as I'm looking forward to it, I'm also nervous. Thanks...

High Pressure Sales with Private Sales Clubs [ 4 Answers ]

To Whom: Is it legal in the state of Rhode Island/Connecticut for a private sales club (Direct Buy) to force a prospective member to join immediately after a forced one hour sales pitch? Direct Buy instructs their prospective customers that if they don't apply for membership immediately they...

View more questions Search