Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anticuchos Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 03:35 PM
    Salt shakers: Why glass?
    There is just that scratching-on-the-board feel when I screw the metal cap back onto the glass shaker. Also, it will break if I happen to drop it.

What is behind the glass factor?

Lets say, why not plastic? It's cheaper to make and doesn't break. Does it have to do with taste? I don't notice a difference in taste between salt stored in glass and plastic.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Mar 21, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Glass is used as it is non-reactive to salt. The same applies for most plastics.

Iron based metals for the most part are reactive so that is why they aren't used.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Mar 21, 2006, 07:33 PM
    We have a wooden salt shaker to match our wooden pepper grinder. You just have to look around for them. More garage sales than department stores, I'd say.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anticuchos
    I don't notice a difference in taste between salt stored in glass and plastic.
    Go into any McD's and its in plastic so no issue there w glass vs plastic. I imagine people like the weight of glass better, feels less cheap than plastic.

We have ceramics that you fill from the bottom and stoppered with a flex plastic plug.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ice/Salt = FrostBite? [ 18 Answers ]

I understand that when you pour salt on your upper fore arm, then apply (with pressure) a common ice cube for period of 1-3 min frostbite will occur. The amount of salt and the length of time play key factors in the severity of the so called... Reaction. I guess my question is how do you treat the...

Which goes in the shaker with more holes - salt or pepper? [ 25 Answers ]

I had always thought this was a no-brainer until my girlfriend and I purchased a new set. The dark shaker, which I assumed was meant for pepper, had less holes than the lighter shaker, which I assumed was for the salt. I found this very odd! I pointed it out to a lifetime friend of mine that we...

Ice and salt; endothermic reaction [ 1 Answers ]

I know that Ice and salt undergo an endothermic reaction but I don't understand how. What is absorbing the heat? How is an endothermic reation occurring if and actual reaction is not? Salt and ice form a mixture.

View more questions Search