Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccarter1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college
    I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Is it your wife that is supposed to be paying support or is he legally your son? And in Indiana it usually stops at 21 if they are in college so I'm surprised to hear that you are still paying unless there was a different stupulation made when the case was originally set. You might want to look at your original divorce papers and see what they say.
    ccarter1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords
    Is it your wife that is supposed to be paying support or is he legally your son? And in Indiana it usually stops at 21 if they are in college so I'm surprized to hear that you are still paying unless there was a different stupulation made when the case was originally set. You might want to look at your original divorce papers and see what they say.
    My husband & I pay support to my step sons mother. JR needs 1 more credit to finish his degree but then wishes to continue on to law school. There is nothing in the divorce decree in reference to college at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2008, 07:04 AM
    This is not goverend by law as much as by the divorce decree. What EXACTLY does it say about support? If it says until 18 or having finsihed scholl, then that would cover college. If you feel it should stop with undergrad degree, go back to Family Court and petition for an end to support.
    curry2525 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 05:54 PM
    My daguter is 18 and not in school and not living at home with her mom do I still have to pay child support?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support in Indiana-18 or 21? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Florida and his daughter lives in Indiana. She and her mother do not speak to us. The child has not been allowed to see her father for about 6 years. Her mother is remarried and they are on welfare, public assistance, etc. We were counting down that we only have 2 years...

When does child support stop? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband currently pays child support for a 17 and 14 year old and their mother has told them that their dad could have to pay child support for them through college. I thought it stopped after completing high school or age 18. Which is it? Thanks for your help!

California Child Support and College Tuition [ 2 Answers ]

Does California have a law that would order a parent to continue to pay child support AND tuition so the child could attend college? The support order did not include college when written. Would a new formula be used? The visition changed during the last 3 years as well. Support wasn't ajusted....

Child support, college expenses and name changes [ 4 Answers ]

There are several issues I have questions about: 1. If a child over the age of 18 changes his surname to his mother's maiden name, does the father still have to pay college expenses or child support (in NJ)? 2. If the father has NO say in the college choice, is he still obligated to pay...

Indiana Child Support/UIFSA [ 13 Answers ]

Could someone please explain what an "UIFSA Petition to Register a Foreign Support Order" is about? I have done some reading about it online. However, it was not explained in general terms. I'm unexperienced with legal matters. I have a hearing this upcoming week regarding this, and am curious as...

View more questions Search