Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scsimpson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Home central AC outdoor condenser unit blowing fuses
    The unit is a Trane and is 22 years old and blew the 35amp dual element, time delay (current limiting) fuses that are in the little metal box on the side of my house next to the unit yesterday while running the AC during a hot day. I replaced them this morning with exact replacements and the new ones blew today after using the unit for about 3 hours during the hottest (100F) part of the day. Does this usually mean the outdoor condenser unit should be replaced?

Also: I notice that on the fuses, there's a groove at one end of the copper ends. What does the groove do or indicate?
    Stubby74 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

May 17, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scsimpson
    The unit is a Trane and is 22 years old and blew the 35amp dual element, time delay (current limiting) fuses that are in the little metal box on the side of my house next to the unit yesterday while running the AC during a hot day. I replaced them this morning with exact replacements and the new ones blew today after using the unit for about 3 hours during the hottest (100F) part of the day. Does this usually mean the outdoor condenser unit should be replaced?

Also: I notice that on the fuses, there's a groove at one end of the copper ends. What does the groove do or indicate?
    Don't count it out yet... Something is definitely getting hot enough to blow fuses... check for a loose wire somewhere, bad connection, capacitor, contactor.or possibly clogged condenser coil, that would be the first things I would check... but 22 years is longer than average... so replacing might not be a bad idea
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 17, 2008, 09:06 PM
    If that unit is 22 years old, it probably uses enough electricity to light up every home in the neighborhood! I would replace it with an Energy Star rated unit. After 22 years, it has served it's useful life.
    scsimpson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Thanks guys, I figured it's given me more than I could realistically expect from it in service life. The point that Handyman made about its electrical footprint on my monthly PG&E bill has been on my mind for years now.
    My house is a two story, 2000 cubic foot home (3 bedrm/2.5 bath). I believe the Trane I currently have is a "4 ton" unit (model BTD748A100B0)? How much do the new energy star units cost?
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

May 18, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Most of the good products today are energy star rates. Trane is among the better brands. Your best bet is find a Trane dealer. I believe that The Home Depot even sells Trane Products. 4 ton is a little small for the application. If you were to increase the capacity, with the new energy technology, you will still save on that electric bill. FYI, the evaporator/exchanger (in the attic) should also be checked and probably replaced to match the compressor unit. It will not be a cgeap job but in the long run, the savings and better coooling will be worth upgrading.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

May 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
    Check to make sure the outside condenser fan is turning. If not, try and unstick it for a temporary fix or replace it for a more permanent fix. 22 years worth of service is very good and you would be doing yourself a favor by replacing it and your inside coil to something more economically to run. $4-5K is normal in the Northeast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blowing fuses in ac unit [ 4 Answers ]

I just replaced the external fan for my ac unit. The original fan had 3 wires and the new one has four. The instruction indicate that all wires may no be used and to just insulate the one I don't need. Here is my problem, I keep blowing my external 30amp fuses and tripping the circuit breaker. I...

Central unit not blowing heat [ 3 Answers ]

Central heating unit want blow heat only cool air

Blowing fuses [ 1 Answers ]

York heat pump,Have cold air all summer,fan alone runs fine,emergency heat works great,But when you turn it to heat only it will blow fuse,could it be a control board on the inside... Thats what I'm being told now.. by a service tech... By the way THANKS for the help so far... Heater coils have...

A/C outdoor blower unit won't engage to begin each summer - fuses? How do I replace? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Rheem combined gas furnace and electric A/C system, probably of early 1980s manufacture (the building was built in 1980, and this is probably original equipment). This is my first residence with central A/C, so forgive my ignorance. When I first moved in, neither the heater...

Fuses blowing [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My clothes dryer started blowing fuses. Since it was a 1964 model, we assumed it was on it's last legs and bought a new one. The new dryer is also starting to blow fuses. The dryer is on a separate fuse box from everything else. Nothing has changed where the dryer or fuse box was...

View more questions Search