Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teresa03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Cistern water line
    Our water pump in the basement lost all pressure yesterday. We have taken the pump apart 3 times and put in new parts. We still cannot get any pressure to stay. How do we fix this problem or find out where the air is coming from? HELP
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 17, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Are you pumping air or does the pump pump up to pressure and then loses it? Please give us more details. Regards,Tom

May 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Hi Tom, The pump in the house will keep 50 lbs for a couple minutes and then drops to nothing.The pump and water line from in the house are full. We know it's getting air but don't know how or where from. We started digging to find the line andconnections to check them. So hard when we are all handicapped in one way or another. Doing it all by hand. If you have any answers please let me know of if we've done things right. Thanks
    Teresa
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Good morning Teresa,
    The pump in the house will keep 50 lbs for a couple minutes and then drops to nothing.
    Two things will cause this, a faulty check/foot valve or a leak in the system. This can be checked by allowing the pump to pump to cut-off and then closing the shut off valve from the pump to the house. If the pressure remains then the problem is from the pump to the well point. The air in the system could be caused by, 1) the pump cavatating, 2) a break in the suction line in the well allowing air to enter, **or** 3) a low water table that's letting you pull air instead of water. ( Number 1 and 2 are connected) After checking, let me know where you think the problem might be. Good luck, Tom

May 20, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Hi Tom, We got to the connection right at the cistern. It was leaking . So for now we tightened the screws until we can get our cistern down enough to change the valve. What a job,we just hope that's all it is(lol). We have another problem now though. The pump maintains 65 lbs now which is good, however,we don't have the pressure in any of the taps. Water definitely comes out but no where near the pressure we had. What could be wrong now? Thanks for answering my other questions. Teresa
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Hi Teresa,
    The pump maintains 65 lbs now which is good, however,we don't have the pressure in any of the taps. Water definitely comes out but no where near the pressure we had. What could be wrong now?
    Your pressure should be good, you're 20 PSI above the average house pressure. However, I have a hunch that when you repaired the leak you disturbed some minerals built up in the pipe walls which got sucked up into your system.
    Now the fun begins. First, remove the aerator and check the screens for trash from a faucet that's running slow. Can you get a full stream out of the faucet now? If not the water has to be shut off, the faucet opened up and the inlet ports of the cartridge cleaned. Now place a pan over the open faucet and turn the water back on for a minute to flush out the supplies and open valve body. Reassemble and move on to the next one. Do this with each faucet affected. Start with the faucet closest to the cistern, regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water slow to fill cistern [ 2 Answers ]

Push button type toilet takes the cistern up to 2+ hours to fill. Could this be an air lock? Can someone please suggest a solution. Alternatively if this is not the problem, could someone please offer cause and solution? As you may gather... I haven't a clue!!

Hot water in wc cistern [ 1 Answers ]

Hi could you tell me why I have really hot water in my toilet cistern,thanks

Loss of water pressure (airlock?) in toilet cistern. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm unsure whether this question has been asked before. I had a look around, but couldn't find an answer, so here goes: I turned the water supply to my house off last night (at the meter outside) in order to fit some new taps. Every time I do this, and then turn the water back on I get an...

Air lock in cistern water line? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cistern supplying water to a mountain cabin. The cistern is full of water, but only a trickle comes out of the faucet in the cabin. It's a new installation and is far uphill from the cabin. Can an air lock cause this? How can it be fixed? BTW, there is a pressure tank in the water line...

View more questions Search