Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

May 17, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Have a hard time spending money
    I have always had a hard time spending money... I have the money and I work hard, but I just can't do it!
    I feel bad about spending money even just for the rent. I don't buy anything expensive for myself, just basic living material. I wasn't born rich and I work my way up through college, I live frugally but have been doing GREAT financially. I still can't stand on spending money.

Now I am getting a well paid job for a large company and looking for an apartment, I just can't stand on renting an apartment because I never spent that much money before. I had to work 30 hours plus school to pay for my rent when I was in college, that is enough, now getting more money out of my pocket is so painful. What should I do?

I even think about finding free food after the gocery store is closing... they throw away food when they close. ( The food is not bad, just not that fresh, but it's good, why waste it? -that is what I am thinking)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:07 PM
    OK, we may need to talk about the food in a dumpster, but I always buy day old breads, even ask the bread truck driver for a free loaf if I see him in a parking lot.

And not wanting to spend too much on an apartment, then why not buy a home, market is down, good time to invest for long term future.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:08 PM
    You are way over the top if you have money but take food that is past its due date. Come on.

If you don't want to rent, purchase a condo or small house as an investment. Surely you must see the benefit in that idea!
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Fr_Chuck, we really have to stop meeting like this ! :) You posted the same idea a minute before me!

May 17, 2008, 02:14 PM
    I thought about buying a condo. I just got my first job fresh out of college, I don't know if that is a good idea to invest on the house now.
    Plus I don't have that much of money yet, first year is always hard. I probably need to spend on a car instead of a condo.

What do you think?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:21 PM
    It may be a good idea ot wait for now, but still rent cheaply, no need to ever over spend
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:21 PM
    I think you are putting us on. A car depreciates and condo doesn't. Go figure.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 17, 2008, 02:28 PM
    I rented for many years while trying to save because I didn't "have that much of money yet". Now regret doing so. You never get that money back. But, keeping your frugal ways in conjunction with increased income is the way toward financial independence. Too often, wants scale with income and no matter how much income there is it is never "enough" and the income is spent on increasingly lavish things.

And, yes, the food thing is a bit much. Save elsewhere, you could get sick, which is expensive!

May 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
    I like this apartment because it's very close to work. I can save gas that way plus I am not a good driver myself, I can't do long distance driving. I am kind of stuck with this new apartment.
    Now this new apartment is costing 1/3 of my income(including utilities), is that too much? I don't have any other bills expect for gas and insurance which will be 10% of my income. I will probably spend 10% of my income on food. I don't really have much other expense, I don't need any clothing for now, I don't drink, I don't buy CD or DVD anything like that. I only read online for free so I don't need buy books.My cell will be paid by the company so is my computer. I won't use cable in the apartment then.
    I know I can use my parents's car but I still need a car of my own in the future, right? I think I will buy the car later then, good point tickle.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Oh, I am with you completely. Haven't bought a new article of clothing for several years. Buy a house. Put your frugality to work and watch your investment in the house grow and grow. Cling to the house like your cling to your money. Take really good care of it from the roof on down.

The date on dairy products is the sell date. After that date it is guaranteed fresh (if refrigerated) for seven days. After the date, the store isn't allowed to sell it. On most bread products, the label will say, "best if used by." It tastes better when fresh but the date doesn't mean that it is anywhere near spoiled.

I lived with a well-to-do friend who had had food poisoning. She tossed everything by the date stamped on it. Of course, I took the food out of the garbage and cooked it. Use a thermometer and cook things well. Get a book on cooking temperatures and food safety and a thermometer you can calibrate daily. Getting food poisoning can kill you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The greatest proportion of the money used for government spending is collected from. [ 4 Answers ]

a. Excise taxes b. income taxes c. custom duties The greatest proportion of the money spent by the federal government in any given year is used for a. governmental operations and grants to states b. income security payments to individuals and national defense c. highways and education

How do I get my parental rites without spending a lot of money [ 8 Answers ]

How do I get my parental rites without spending a lot of money that I don't have anyway.

Extravagant spending of money [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My father passed away years ago. He did not leave a will so we had a lawyer execute an extra-judicial settlement. In it, my mother got most the properties and shares of stocks with the other companies my father had shares of (none of us contested). As with our family business, the money all...

Spending time vs sex [ 7 Answers ]

When a man wants to just have sex rather than wanting to spend some quality time together... does that necessarily mean he is not interested in you and that woman should feel there is something really wrong with her that he doesn't want her for who she is but just her body... Can anyone throw some...

View more questions Search