Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creditme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    -

May 17, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Texas Laws on Credit Card Judgment
    I was served papers saying that Discover has sued me. I never received an intent to sue letter or anything.
    I got behind on some payments last year, brought the account up to current last November, then called them for help lowering my 29% interest rate. They would not lower it or help me in any way.
    I asked my options and they said to pay in full or keep making payments with 29% interest. I asked if I closed my account if interest would stop accruing and they said yes and that I could still make monthly payments. So I did close my account. I continued to pay each month according to the statements they sent me every month.
    They turned my account over to a collections agency who wanted the entire amount since I had closed my account. Discover continued to send statement and I continued to pay them monthly. I was served papers the other day that the collection agency/attorney is seeking a judgment against me for over $8,000.00, although my balance is less than that now. I called them and they would not even talk to me until I told them where I worked and how much money I made per month, while trying to get me to commit to paying the balance.
    They said Discover had only reported one payment to them for $155.00, when in fact I had paid over $2,900. I faxed them the information and am waiting for a response.
    The court paper said something about a trial, but there was no trial date posted on the papers.
    Question: What are the laws regarding judgments in Texas???
    I know that if I sell my house they can take what I owe from the proceeds, but I don't even intend on selling. I'm here for life!
    Can they garnish my wages from my little part-time job? Can they garnish my husbands' wages if he is not listed on the credit card and it was mine before we married??

Can they find my (and our joint accts.) bank accounts and just take money from them? Should I take our monies out of the banks?

I am frazzled and have never had this problem before. It has made me very depressed and although my husband says we will survive, I feel like I have been lied to, chewed up, and spit out by the credit card company. Now my credit is ruined and I feel like there is nothing I can do and all of the other credit companies will soon drop me and my accounts and do the same thing to me.
    What can I do?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 12:07 PM
    You need to read the papers you were served carefully.

They should be telling you one of two things.

First, they will indicate a hearing date, time, and place.

Or, it will ask you to respond by a certain date as to if you plan to defend yourself in the suit.

Either way, you need to answer, or appear as instructed in that form you were served.

I'm not sure about Texas law regarding garnishment or bank levy, you should do some research on those topics in the meantime.

Good Luck to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Judgment [ 3 Answers ]

I have researched the info I can find on here before posting this. I can't find what I need to know. Here is my situation. I was served a summons to appear in court for $6400 credit card debt. I called the attorney that is representing the bank that is sueing me for judgment. I asked for the...

Credit card judgment [ 1 Answers ]

My bank account was frozen needless to say there was a judgment against me from an old credit card dept the collection agency claims that was my account ,I filed an order to show cause emedeitly and my court date is up soon.but I really don't know if the account is mine,can I ask for validation of...

Credit card debt judgment [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued by a credit card companyand I plan to let then have a judgment by default. I am to appear in 10 days to answer, but do not plan to do so. When my husband died, I was willed his interest in property owned by his family. I transferred ownership of my ineterest in the family...

Credit Card Judgment following Charge-Off [ 0 Answers ]

If a credit company has "Charged-Off" a balance as reflected on a credit bureau report, Does this imply that they will not be seeking a judgment? Will I receive WRITTEN documentation in the event a judgment is filed? It is my understanding that under Texas law a credit card company cannot...

View more questions Search