Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JTERRY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Bankruptcy removal from credit report
    Hi,
    I already know that my bankruptcy was discharged back in Feb 2000. I need to know if this can be removed off my credit reports since it has been over 8 years?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 08:46 AM
    The seven year term is calculated from the last date the account was reported.

It is not just automatically seven years.

If a creditor is willing to keep reporting the account, it could stay on the bureau indefinitely.

Check the "date reported" on any accounts that are still showing the bankruptcy, if the date reported is more than seven years ago, you should contact the credit bureaus and find out exactly what their policy is to have incorrect information removed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
    In the US, bankruptcy shows up for 10 years just like most judgements, they do not follow the 7 year rule like regular debts.
    Loan_Guy Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

May 19, 2008, 06:26 PM
    JTerry,

A Chapter 7 CAN stay on your credit report for 10 years post discharge and a Ch. 13 for 7.

If it has been longer than that, write a letter to the credit reporting agencies (Trans Union, Experian and Equifax) and ask it be removed.

LG
    DBmtgprocessor Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

May 21, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Bankruptcy – Chapter 7, 11, and 13 bankruptcies remain on your credit report for 10 years after the filing date. Chapter 13 bankruptcy records are sometimes removed after 7 years from the filing date based on the credit reporting agency policy. When you file for bankruptcy, all the accounts included should be marked as "Included in BK" and will each stay on your report for 7 years.
    joedindo Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jul 9, 2010, 06:58 PM
    We are also in the business of providing bankruptcy records and fixing credit report after bankruptcy. For more details visit <a href="http://bankruptcylive.com/">Free bankruptcy public records</a>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long after filing petition of bankruptcy does it appear on credit report? [ 3 Answers ]

How long after filing petition of bankruptcy does it appear on credit report? Also, I have recently been offered an excellent new position with a great company but will not pass the required credit check. This leads us to my initial question. After filing but before discharge will there be a...

Bankruptcy off your credit report [ 2 Answers ]

This is a wonderful site. I was reading another persons question regarding removing bankruptcy off your record takes about ten years. I am curious if bankruptcy is taken off your record after ten years are you obligated to report that you have had a bankruptcy after it is taken out your record? I...

Bankruptcy removal from credit [ 1 Answers ]

How can I remove my bankruptcy from my credit of over 7 years ago?

Credit Report after bankruptcy [ 5 Answers ]

I had to file bankruptcy because of a sick house (mold infested) that almost killed my daughter and I. I have and had an excellent income, was never late on anything, but could not afford to fix the home and pay rent for another place to live. Insurance would not fix anything and the cost was...

View more questions Search