Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Crown Lengthening Scam
    My wife was told she needed to have 5 crowns after a recent exam. The Dental "advisor" (not the dentist) says she needs "crown lengthening" on all five. The "crown lengthening" costs $900 a tooth=$4500 plus $450 each for the crowns (only the crowns are covered by insurance). We agreed not knowing what was involved. I investigated what "crown lengthening" was prior to her visit. After her visit it didn't appear she had any "crown lengthening" surgery performed. They didn't cut her gums and remove any gum or bone tissue to espose more natural tooth in which to place the crown. There were no stiches or antbiotics prescribed afterwards. They took an impression and placed temporary crowns and was told to return on 3/7/06 to receive her permanent crowns. Am I getting ripped off by this dentist charging me $4500 for"crown lengthening" that wasn't performed? Is this some sort of dental scam?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2006, 12:50 PM
    Possibly.

Why not talk with your dentist. Confront him with this (kindly, non hostile). Perhaps there is an explanation.

Or, you can go to another dentist and ask for his opinion. If the other dentist says no, then you know you have a case.
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 25, 2006, 02:32 PM
    I never had "crown lengthening" but when I received a root canal and a crown I experienced looseness on my crown. Part of this was the tooth that I got the crown on was broken pretty badly.. They told me I may have to get crown lengthening.. but luckily everything is still fine 4 years later.. I personally feel that a lot of dentistry seems like a scam but personally I want to have a full set of teeth so I guess I will suck it up and pay what I have to (eventhough I feel robbed).. I don't know but I paid $1700 for a crown/root canal when I found that many people didn't have to get a root canal with a crown.. But hey maybe its hard to go back to see if it was done since they now have a crown over that area..
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 07:18 AM
    HI,
    I agree with talking with your Dentist. If you are not satisfied with the answer(s), then go to another reputable Dentist, and get another opinion.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Feb 26, 2006, 08:17 PM
    j2006-

I've never heard of "crown lengthening" but what I imagine it would entail some minor surgery? Your wife must've known whether she r'cd that treatment or not.b/c they should have told her what they were doing with each step of her appt. $900 per tooth sounds like way too much anyway. I would definitely find out exactly what was done (assuming she wasn't under any gen anesthesia)
    If you already paid in full... oh well.. but I'd want to be sure that the most expensive thing really was done!
    howards girl Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2006, 03:28 PM
    I had crown lengthing, it was not so minor. If you get a crown and don't have this it may fall out. By the way the price given seems pretty cheap.
    claremontca Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 09:58 AM

I had it and it was simple. Don't worry about it. I had it done in a general dentists office and it was simple and painless during. The post-op was also uncomplicated and at worst a tiny bit sore.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Feb 6, 2010, 05:39 PM

Crown lengthening is to expose more tooth to place a crown. It involves freezing the area, and removing bone and gum tissue, then placing sutures. There is significant soreness after. Some dentists charge for it without doing it because there is no way to prove its not done. You should confront him about it if you paid for it, and it was not done.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 08:59 PM
    claremontca, please note the dates of the original posts. I'm sure the original poster has solved the problem by now.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 09:35 PM
    As this thread is 4 years old, it is now closed. Please check dates before responding to threads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crown Lengthening [ 4 Answers ]

I have had crowns on my two front teeth for all of my adult life due to falling and breaking them. Recently one crown and tooth broke off at the gum line. Over the years (I am 56) my teeth had shifted and I had a small gap between my 2 front teeth that I hated. My dentist suggested making 4...

Recovery after Crown Lengthening [ 3 Answers ]

What can I expect during recovery after having crown lengthening? I am having it to correct a 'gummy smile.' Will the gums grow back over the teeth. What procedure would prevent this? Laser or cutting?

Crown lengthening necessary? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a root canal on Fri and went back to the dentist on Mon for a temp crown and fitting for a permanent crown. The dentist took out the temp crown that the endodontist had used and grinded away most of my tooth. After that, she drew me a diagram, told me that I needed a crown lengthening and...

Crown Lengthening 2 [ 4 Answers ]

I recently went to a periodontist for a consultation for crown lengthening, and was told that aside from cutting gum away, he will have to take some bone as well. What is the recovery prognosis for something like this? Is there a chance that I will have chronic pain / sensitivity on the 2 teeth...

Pain after crown lengthening [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I had crown lengtheining done about 4 1/2 weeks ago. It was a difficult recovery but the doc said that it was healing well. I went Thursday to have the new crown put on and the Doc had difficulty getting the old crown off. Once completed, she felt that the gums were still too "unhealed and...

View more questions Search