Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    njassak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Gurgling in the shower drain and sewer smell
    We moved into a 100 year old farm house about 8 months ago. The plumbing was replaced in the 80's. We are learning the ins and outs of the house. About 2 weeks ago we started hearing a gurgling sound in the shower drain in the upstairs bathroom when we flushed the toilet. Now we are smelling a sewer smell (We have a septic tank). We never use the upstairs shower because it takes too long for the hot water to get up there. Any help on the subject? We have a very steep roof and would hate to have to go up on the roof to check out the vent. Any other way to solve this? Thanks in advance for your help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 25, 2006, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by njassak
    We moved into a 100 year old farm house about 8 months ago. The plumbing was replaced in the 80's. We are learning the ins and outs of the house. About 2 weeks ago we started hearing a gurgling sound in the shower drain in the upstairs bathroom when we flushed the toilet. Now we are smelling a sewer smell (We have a septic tank). We never use the upstairs shower because it takes too long for the hot water to get up there. Any help on the subject? We have a very steep roof and would hate to have to go up on the roof to check out the vent. Any other way to solve this? Thanks in advance for your help.
    One of two things here. You have a blocked vent and the system's attempting to vent through the shower trap or you have a partial blockage in the toilet drain and wher the discharge from the toilet hits it it bounces back sending a bubble of air ahead of it and what you hear is the sewer gas escaping from the trap. Your job is to find out which one it is, my job is to tell you how to fix it. To find out exactly what's going on, remove the strainer from the shower drain and shine a light down into the trap. Now have someone flush while you're looking. If you see bubbles and feel a puff of air then it's a blocked drain line. If there's a gurgling sound then you have a blocked vent. Let me know what you come up with. Tom
    Geezerdad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 07:27 AM
    I am sure this is stale by now, but for future reference, since you never use this shower, it may be that the trap is dry. If so, the shower drain acts as a vent. If so, you can check it by running the shower a bit to fill the trap. If that is the problem, the smell and sound will disappear AIBM (As If By Magic).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fowl Smell From Shower Drain [ 6 Answers ]

I read a discussion on this forum that occurred in 2005. Several people noted they had sewer like smell coming from a single shower drain. Speedball1 had several suggestions regarding cleaning out hair or other biological material from the drain. Some of the questioners tried all the suggestions...

Sewer smell [ 3 Answers ]

A sewer smell started coming from the bathroom sink drain. I put bleach down it and its OK for a few hours and then its back. Could my vent pipe on the roof be clogged? Help!

Sewer Gas Smell [ 4 Answers ]

We have been having a problem with a bad smell that we think is sewer gas coming up through the shower drain when we flush the toilet in our back bathroom. We're not having the problem anywhere else in the house and at first we only noticed the smell, like I said, when we flushed that toilet. The...

Gurgling in shower drain and some backup [ 1 Answers ]

When I run two loads of laundry back to back, I am hearing gurgling in the downstairs shower of a split foyer home with bathroom on ground level slab. Sometimes the water rises up in the shower and then recedes immediately. The toilet downstairs is turned off with the level of water in the bowl...

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

View more questions Search