Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

May 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Is this a true Obama quote?
    This is a real question for you who have high speed internet. My dial up is way too slow to do serious research.
    Is the following quote accurate?

>From Audacity of Hope: "I will stand with the Muslims should the
    political winds shift in an ugly direction."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 05:45 PM
    In what context was it written, I would hope all US people would stand behind the Muslims that are US citizens if there was discrimination against them or if polictical powers tried to restrict their rights to worship.

I was first in line to give of my time to help guard a local Atlanta Mosque right after 911 when there was fear or vandalism from those that confuse terrorist with those that practice their faith.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 02:24 AM
    Yeah he wrote something like it (the one you provide is a misquote )but it is being taken out of context by the web site you found it in.

Here is the full correct quote from the book (page 261) :

"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific reassurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."
    The ugly direction he is referring to was the internment of Japanese Americans during WWII.

There is plenty reasons to oppose his candidacy without going in this direction. The site you found this on should take it down and offer a clarification. This constant trying to smear him because he has some Muslim heritage is a losing strategy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Thank you Tom, yes, I assumed it was some of the political mud slinging to take words said out of context.
    NICKNAME Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

May 20, 2008, 12:42 AM
    I think whoever becomes the president of the states will not change the facts.. oil-blood-war-hate-fighting Muslims only.. etc . I know a lot of Americans don`t agree with their government because they are kind and friendly..
    I have been thinking before.. who made the Americans ( hated) all over the world ? Of course.. their government and supporting Israel.. but I still hope that U.S will be changed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Why Didn't Obama Tell Us This Before? [ 11 Answers ]

Now, this news article IS truly revealing and speaks volumes about Obama! Obamaites, here, take a good look at your superhero and read all about it! Why hadn't Obama revealed this little gem of a conversation he had with Wright, umm? Why did Wright bring it out finally at this time? What do you...

About Obama - Interesting! [ 1 Answers ]

Flip-flopping along! Political Radar: Obama's Bracket: The Politics of Nope

So what has Obama done ? [ 49 Answers ]

A new bill that is co-sponsored by Barak Obama and Democrat Senators Maria Cantwell, Dianne Feinstein, Richard Lugar, Richard Durbin, Chuck Hagel and Robert Menendez will increase foreign aid by the United States to a level that the UN dictates . Sugar coating it with a name no one could object to...

What is true/not true about linked genes? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to clarify concepts in genetics about linked genes. I know that linked genes are located on the same chromosome and they always segregated together during meiosis and always separate during crossing over, right? And is the recombination frequency actually reprsent the distance between...

View more questions Search