Ask
    expertopie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 04:45 PM
    I need garnishment stopped
    Can I get a garnishment stopped once it has started
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 04:56 PM
    If you owe the money and a judgment has been awarded, no, you cant. Just start paying it and get rid of it.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Sometimes, you can contact the creditor (or its attorney) and make a payment agreement and the garnishment will be 'released', but not dismissed; you may have to pay any court costs associated with this arrangement, and if you default, the garnishment will be 'renewed'. Or, you can file Ch 7 or Ch 13 bankruptcy and stop the garnishment; you will have to list all of your creditors.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2008, 06:00 PM
    1. If the garnishment is not legal, if there was some problem with the legal service, or some violaton of your rights during your court case.
    Did you appear, did you have an attorney.

2. if you don't owe the money, or the orgainal debt was out of the SOL and you did not object

But to stop it, there has to be a legal reason why you don't either owe it or if there was some issue in court, but with all of these you will have to go though an attorney, have them review the case and see if they can do anything
    PJAMOK Posts: 22, Reputation: 0
    -

May 21, 2008, 02:03 PM
    You can quit your job. That'll work, but that's about it.
    3facecreations Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
    But know if you quit your job the judgement stays in place so the next job you get the garnishment will start back up. If you owe it pay it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PJAMOK
    You can quit your job. That'll work, but that's about it.

This works right up until the next job and then it starts all over again - or the creditor gets tired of chasing you around and moves against property or bank accounts.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

May 22, 2008, 01:01 PM
    What about changing states?
    3facecreations Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 01:03 PM
    Why run, it would cost more to move from state to state and try to be in hiding than just pay what you legaly owe.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rodandy12
    What about changing states?

Yes, if you leave your job when you change States (move), yes, your present employer will no longer be your current employer and the garnishment will stop.

Then they will track you down, transfer the Judgment and/or Order to the second State and begin to pursue you there and move against bank accounts, property, whatever is legal in your State.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

Ear stopped up? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a slight earache last week. Since then I keep hearing my heartbeat in my ear/head. I was curious if this has something to do with my ear being stopped up? Kind of bugging me. So if any of you know how to clear this up, please let me know.

14 yr. Old stopped eating [ 2 Answers ]

We know that Maggie is nearing the end of her life, but she hasn't eaten in 3 days now. She doesn't act "sick". She is drinking lots of water and telling us when she needs to go outside. She seems confused. She takes heart meds. For enlarged heart. Our vet wants $1800 for an echo. No one...

It stopped.. [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so I posted something about my dryer making this horrendous squeaking noise and I didn't know if it was safe to use or not. Well I finally said forget it, I have to dry some clothes... so I started it an of course it made it this horrible squeaking, but then it stopped... the dryer is still...

View more questions Search