Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcrago Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 10:28 AM
    No Operating System
    I have a IBM 390X laptop, and the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable.
    The computer is designed for win98, and I have a CD Windows 98 Second Edition. What are the steps I need to take to get this computer working again? I have tried booting with the Windows CD, that doesn't work, I have tried using a windows 98 recovery disk, I still can't get the win98 CD to start, and download. I have tried moving the CD Drive to the top in the BIOS, but nothing I do works. Since I don't know what I am doing, I need some expert help. Thanks kcrago
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 25, 2006, 12:18 PM
    Can you tell us the message the laptop displays when trying to boot from CD? Does it try to read the CD? (watch for the drive access light)

How did you wipe the hard drive?

Feb 26, 2006, 09:53 AM
    When I boot up with the Windows 98SE disk in the drive, the drive starts to blink, then the screen goes to the message the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable. The hard drive was wipped clean, because the last owner of the computer did not want anything left on the hard drive... it seems like the computer just reads the floppy drive, because when I put in a Win98 recovery disk the computer brings that up with no problem. Thanks Kcrago
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 26, 2006, 09:56 AM
    Boot up with the win98 recovery disk (startup disk) and have the 98 CD in the drive.

When it has booted off the floppy type "d:\setup.exe" and press return. With a bit of luck, this will initiate the setup program on the cd!

Feb 26, 2006, 10:21 AM
    I just did what you suggested, and all I get is a Bad command or file name I typed d:\setup.exe, next to the A:\ and I typed D: to get to the D Drive
    And I still get the same error message Bad Command or file name
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 26, 2006, 10:23 AM
    If that is the case kcrago I would suggest typing "dir setup.*" without the quotes see if you even see a setup file.. if not it may be in a sub directory or not even there.. maybe if you can do "dir /p" and post the list we could help you find the file you need.

Feb 26, 2006, 10:44 AM
    The windows 98 startup disk was made with the computer I am using, not with the computer I am trying to start. So maybe since the CD Driver is not the same that this startup disk lists which is the OAKCDROM SYS, that's why the cd driver is not being read, and if that is the case how can I get a start up disk that would work. The BIOS on the laptop that I am trying to get started lists ATAPI IDE CD-ROM DRIVE Could that be the problem I am not using the right startup disk.. Listed below is what shows for the startup disk I am using.

ASPI2DOS SYS
    ASPI4DOS SYS
    ASPI8D0S SYS
    ASPI8U2 SYS
    ASPICD SYS
    AUTOEXEC BAT
    BTCDROM SYS
    BTDOSM SYS
    COMMAND COM
    CONFIG SYS
    DRVSPACE BIN
    EBD CAB
    EXTRACT EXE
    FDISK EXE FINDRAMD EXE
    FLASHPT SYS
    HIMEM SYS
    OAKCDROM SYS
    RAMDRIVE SYS
    RAMDRIVE SYS
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Feb 27, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Howdy:

If you used a Win98 boot floppy, then there is no way that d:\setup will work as the boot floppy makes a d: drive as a temp Ramdrive..

If you watch as you boot using the boot floppy AND choose "Start with cd-rom support", odds are your cd-rom is now e:\ drive..

So, with the Win98 cd in the drive, change to the e: drive and type in setup and see what happens!

Murray

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mac Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

Currently using Mac OS8.6... Is there a download available to OS 9

Install operating system [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up a second computer that has no operating system. Is there any way to use the operating system on my working computer and install it in the second one?

Which operating system to start with? [ 4 Answers ]

I had windows 98SE on my computer. I had to fdisk and format and then I installed Windows Xp Professional on it. The problem I have is when I reboot, it will ask me this PLEASE SELECT THE OPERATING SYSTEM TO START Then it gives me two options. I can click on MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP...

View more questions Search