Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vargastominaga Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 12:12 PM
    1 year choice and Dual status
    I worked under OPT (F1) from Jan 07 until May 07. Then came back to the US as H1B in October 07 and never left the US and will meet the substantial presence test in 08 (currently on extension period). I'm planning elect the 1 year choice, how do I file my taxes for 2007? Can I file dual-status for 2007? Do I need to file two different forms (1040 and 1040NR?) one for the resident part and the other for the non-resindent part? I'm married with one kid, does that mena I can file Resident for the entire 2007?

PLEASE!!

Jorge
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 16, 2008, 06:33 PM
    You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly after you complete SPT in 2008.
    You will get standard deduction of $10,700 and exemptions for the kid if the kid is in the U.S.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2007. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit.

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and child and attach with your tax return.

May 17, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Thank you MukatA.

I worked from Jan.2007 until May 2007 under OPT, then went back home and came back to the US in October with H1B. Will I need to file Dual-status for 2007? What form/forms should I use?
    One more thing. I filed form 843 at the beginning of 2008 to request refund on Medicare and SS taxes withheld in error by my employer under OPT in the first part of 2007. IRS returned my application requesting more papers and also indicating I need to file 1040NR for the time claiming.
    Does that mean, If I file dual-status for 2007 and use FORM 1040, I won't get refund on taxes that shouldn't have been withheld in the first place?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
    You have two choices:
    1. File a joint return as residents, as already explained.
    2. File a nonresident tax return. You will get tax treaty benefit, as you have OPT income, depending upon your citizenship.

There is no advantage in filing Dual Status. About refund of FICA taxes, you file Form 843 separate from your tax return. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Taxes for Non-resident Exempt Individual

May 17, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Thank you one more time.

There is something that confuses me. I spoke with the person who is reviewing my 843 at the IRS and the lady told me if I file 1040 for 2007 (first year choice) I won't be able to get FICA back for the period I was on OPT. That doesn't sound very fair to me since those taxes shouldn't have been withheld in the first place. I told her that I was going to read about it and get back to her.

Please, any thoughts?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

May 18, 2008, 09:55 AM
    If you elect to file as married filing joint for the entire year, then you will owe Medicare and SS taxes for your earnings throughout the entire year. This would mean that you could not receive a refund on Form 843.

You need to assess the costs and benefits of making the election or not making the election.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B and H4, first year choice, dual-status [ 4 Answers ]

First, let me explain my situation: I am an Spanish citizen and came to US on 27st July 2007 on H1B Visa with my husband (in H4 visa). After that I got my SSN. Yet we have not applied for the ITIN of my husband and he is not eligible for SSN. We do not have Green Card and do not satisfy the...

L1B and L2, first year choice, dual-status [ 1 Answers ]

My situation as mentioned below: I am an Indian citizen and came to US on 01th August 2007 on L1B Visa with my husband(in L2 visa) and kid (2.5 yrs, in L2 visa). I got my SSN and we have applied EAD for my husband in January 08, expecting to come around April08 1st week and thereafter I can...

Explanation of the dual status and first year choice [ 17 Answers ]

There seems to be a lot of confusion out there about the situation regarding residency, non-residency, dual status and first year choice. I would like to address this situation. Below I have outlined the facts AND the sources of support. 1. Residency status There are two tests: the green...

Do I have to be Dual Status Alien to use First Year Choice? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, Do I have to be Dual Status Alien to use First Year Choice? I am Non-Residential Alien and I want to use First Year Choide? Is is Wrong. Regards, Sudarshan BAjaj

Dual Status or First Year Choice? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from Jan 2006 - March 2006, then OPT from March 2006 - Sep 2006. Started working on OPT in Apr 2006 and got my H1 from Oct 2006. I got married in Dec 2006, but my wife joined me in USA on Jan 2007 from India. She had her H1 stamped in India in Nov 2006, and her I94 is dated...

View more questions Search