Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 17, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Here you go... Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, What is it?
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2008, 04:02 AM
    Scripture tells what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is.. And it is the only unforgivable sin. Also to deny Jesus, and you will be denied before the angels of God. In the end God gives the angels instructions for the elements to burn (elements meaning anything evil) Facts on this found in Revelation. And when you are brought unto the synagogues would be when you are brought before anti-christ in the end times also found in Revelation. Revelation means: review.. This will be the only time I feel the unforgivable sin can be done which is another way of denying truth, by not speaking what the Holy Spirit in the same hour teaches you to say.

Luke 12:9 But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God.
    Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.
    Luke 12:11 And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and [unto] magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say
    Luke 12:12 For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

May 29, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Is suicide an unforgivable sin?

We are called to be witnesses, not judges. God the Father will be the judge on the last day.

It really boils down to this: Our bodies are gifts from God. If we willfully destroy a gift from God, especially one that is so precious as our own lives, are we truly deserving to be with Him in Heaven? So only you (whether of sound mind or not) can make the decision. And only you will have to face that judgment. What do YOU believe??

As far as life support goes, shutting it off is NOT suicide. Go ahead. Shut it off. God will choose whether you live or die from that moment on. If you die, then God took you. If you don't, the God wasn't ready for you. It really is that simple.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Is suicide an unforgivable sin?

My opinion includes that we should at all times understand that walking in Christ is knowing Christ is within us, as the Holy Spirit is present. In thinking of suicide we our not only killing ourselve.

Colossians 2:4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.

Colossians 2: 5-6 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk you in him:

And we should trust God put us on this earth to do His Purpose, His Will, and for His pleasure. Refer:scripture

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Ephesians 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.
    Kick277Jen Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Jun 8, 2008, 09:51 PM
    I do not think suicide is an unforgivable sin because I don't believe in any sin being unforgivable. God forgives all sin.
    I have talked to two women who were very depressed and tried to end their life. Both were strong Christians and said that they were not thinking correctly. They said their thoughts were how much they just wanted the emotional pain to end and to be with God and now looking back, they both greatly regret it... I think that when people commit suicide they are definitely not thinking correctly and I truly don't believe God would send them to Hell for that when they loved and served Him.
    Kick277Jen Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

Jun 8, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tawnynkids
    If you are sane enough to ask the question then you are not mentally disturbed beyond reasonable thinking. If you commit suicide then you are choosing to separate yourself from God. Nothing can separate us from God meaning there is no power great enough to conquer God's love for us it does not mean you can do whatever you want and expect to not be separated from God. Only you can chose to separate yourself from God. If you kill yourself you are saying "God you are not strong enough to get me through whatever terrible situation I am in, therefor I will do it for you and take myself out of this situation". You are making that choice and choosing to do it on your own without God. You are also commanded not to commit murder, wouldn't that be murdering yourself? Be careful what you think is okay to interpret from the Word of God. Yes, God will always love you sinner or saint. No, nothing can stop that. But yes, God will allow us to chose our own paths and if we chose to live or die without Him, He will allow us to do that. He does not punish us by "sending us to Hell". We chose to send ourselves to hell. Hell was created for Satan and his fallen angels not us. We chose to live eternity with or without God He does not chose that for us. So if you say you are a Christian then how can you justify ending your life without Him? Suicide is not choosing to live in God's will it is choosing to live outside God's will. So, you will die without Him and live in eternity the same way.

As far as life support...if you have to remain on life support and machines are the only thing keeping you alive it is not necessarily God's hand that is continuing your life is it? It is man's. If you are removed from life support and die you will live eternity with or without God depending on how you chose to live your life before that happened, with God or without Him. And if you chose to remain on life support God will still decide if it is successful or not. We may use the assistance of technology given to us through God but not to play or be God. God does not punish us for using what He gave us, medical technology. He gave that knowledge to us, so we may use it. But ultimately it will be His choice if it is successful for us. If you are a Christian and die then He is calling you home. If you aren't and you die then God knew you would never chose to live in the truth and accept Christ and would allow you to chose to live in eternity without Him. God can use even the evil of satan through the people who even He knows will never chose Him to lead others to Him. So God even saves the lives of those He know will never chose Him.

What I mean by that is if a doctor tells you that you need surgery to live and whether you chose to have it or not to have the surgery God's Will will still be done. You may live you may not it is up to Him. If you died, that was God's will. If you lived, that was God's will.

God does not tell us anywhere in the Bible EVER to kill ourselves when life gets rough. He says He will never give us more than we can bare. He says that because He is always with us, if we chose Him then we can get through anything no matter how painful. No power, force or situation can separate us from Him only we can separate us from Him. Choosing to fix our situation for God is choosing to separate ourselves from God.
    I think it is important to remember that people who commit suicide are not in their right mind, therefore, they are not really choosing to separate themselves from God. Like I said above, I know two very strong Christian ladies who love the Lord and in a time of extreme depression(because of being raped, cheated and left by her husband, mother dying, etc) thought her only hope was to kill herself so she can be with God.
    ... and while it might not be God's will for you to kill yourself, where does it say in the Bible that being outside God's will is an unforgivable sin that sends one to Hell? The only unforgivable sin is REFUSING God.
    ... Im sure you, and everyone else is not perfectly in Gods will... however ,that does not cause someone to live for eternity without Him!
    ... ALL men are sinners and make mistakes.

Jun 9, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kick277Jen
    I think it is important to remember that people who commit suicide are not in their right mind, therefore, they are not really choosing to separate themselves from God. Like I said above, I know two very strong Christian ladies who love the Lord and in a time of extreme depression(because of being raped, cheated and left by her husband, mother dying, etc) thought her only hope was to kill herself so she can be with God.
    ...and while it might not be God's will for you to kill yourself, where does it say in the Bible that being outside God's will is an unforgivable sin that sends one to Hell? The only unforgivable sin is REFUSING God.
    ....Im sure you, and everyone else is not perfectly in Gods will...however ,that does not cause someone to live for eternity without Him!
    ...ALL men are sinners and make mistakes.
    Hi there :) I think I already corrected myself in post #17, #19 and #21.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
    There is an unforgivable sin..

Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

Suicide does not mean anyone will go to hell, nor can we judge..

The beginning of Widom is loving God. Lack of this knowledge can destroy people. Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

Jun 10, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Hey Kick... don't sweat it. You were forgiven before you asked. :)
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
    There is not a sin on this earth that isn't covered under the Blood of our Lord and Savior.. not one. ( I am talking about the redeemed) If you have accepted Christ as your savior, no one, nothing, nadda, zippo can stop you from Jesus Christ. Having said that, you could lose your reward in heaven. ( that is a BIG deal, might not mean much now, but I believe it will mean a lot in glory.)

I think plenty of people DO know what they are doing and in their "right" mind when they do it.. sad but true. Not all but some. Either way... there just AIN'T nothing that HIS blood doesn't cleanse. What a savior!
    IM4U Posts: 156, Reputation: 16

Jun 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Hi,

I'm new here. But I am not new to the question of death and grief. Without reading all the posts you have already received, I see some widely different opinions.

I registered at this time specifically to respond to this question. Then I saw my interests pretty well expressed already. But I will just offer a short form.

I do have a question. I am not asking that you answer to any of us, but are you speaking in a personal manner? (1) Did someone you love take his/her life? (2) Do you find yourself considering the possibility of taking your life?

If number 2 is relevant, I hope you will get help for the depression or whatever has you "on the ropes." Let me tell you with some authority that there is hope and help for those who find themselves having to deal with depression.

If number 1 is the case, let me say that facing the loss, expressing your feelings about it, and finally accepting it and all the pain it brings will move you toward resolution and wellness.

Now, to the question you asked. I do not believe that a person who chooses and completes the ending of his/her earthly life is necessarily separated from God in eternity. I think God's grace (you may like to do a study of the word "grace" as used in the Bible) is more powerful than the forces that drive us to despair and to the choice to try to get out of it through drastic means.

There is, indeed, hope and help for dealing with the issues you raise. I hope you are okay and that you are aware of the resources in your location.

Blessings,

I M truly 4 U.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jun 14, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4U
    Hi,

I'm new here. But I am not new to the question of death and grief. Without reading all the posts you have already received, I see some widely different opinions.

I registered at this time specifically to respond to this question. Then I saw my interests pretty well expressed already. But I will go ahead and just offer a short form.

I do have a question. I am not asking that you answer to any of us, but are you speaking in a personal manner? (1) Did someone you love take his/her life? (2) Do you find yourself considering the possibility of taking your life?

If number 2 is relevant, I hope you will get help for the depression or whatever has you "on the ropes." Let me tell you with some authority that there is hope and help for those who find themselves having to deal with depression.

If number 1 is the case, let me say that facing the loss, expressing your feelings about it, and finally accepting it and all the pain it brings will move you toward resolution and wellness.

Now, to the question you asked. I do not believe that a person who chooses and completes the ending of his/her earthly life is necessarily separated from God in eternity. I think God's grace (you may like to do a study of the word "grace" as used in the Bible) is more powerful than the forces that drive us to despair and to the choice to try to get out of it through drastic means.

There is, indeed, hope and help for dealing with the issues you raise. I hope you are okay and that you are aware of the resources in your location.

Blessings,

I M truly 4 U.
    I second the suggested info.

May love and kindness be with you my friend.
    ketch22 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Oct 2, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    Suicide is throwing the gift that God gave us of life back in his face and saying we do not want it.

Each day is a miracle and every creation is a miracle. It is up to God when it is our time to go.

So is it an unforgivable sin according to the teachings in Christianity the answer is yes.
    I disagree. There is no where in scripture where this is defined as an unforgivable sin. Also, we all sin. The moment I asked for forgiveness and accepted my Lord into my heart, I was forgiven. I sometimes forget to ask for forgiveness throughout the day... does this mean if I were to instantly die in a car accident or heart attack, I would not see the Kingdom... because I had not asked for forgiveness for some sinful thought or action I might have committed that day? If a saved person commits suicide, that person's sins have already been washed away previous to the sin that Jesus already saw at the cross. The only time that person would cease to be saved is if they deilberately walked away from the Holy Spirit and denied Him after already partaking in His fruits.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Oct 2, 2008, 07:49 AM

ketch22 -

I agree with you that there is no place in scripture where God or any inspired writer of scripture expressly states that suicide is an unforgivable sin.

Jesus said that all sins will be forgiven men except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. He said that in the context of the Pharisees accusing Him of casting out demons by Baalzebub. Jesus points out that the genuine activity of the Spirit of God is meant draw men to repentance. To accuse the Holy Spirit in the way Jesus describes is to be completely hostile towards what it is God is doing. This is a heart that is so unwilling to repent and see that he is guilty, that he will even go so far as to say that God is evil... which is what the Pharisees were in effect saying.

Now, I guess the question to ask is, what is the condition of the heart of a person who wants to commit suicide. In many examples in scripture, men of God wanted God to take their lives:

Jonah 4:1-11 - Jonah was so angry at God's display of mercy that he asked God to kill him, "for it is better for me to die than to live!" He repeated the same request to God on the next day.

I King 18:40 and 19:4- Elijah was in despair as he was being pursued by Jezebel, who was looking to kill him. Elijah fled for his life to Beersheba, went into the wilderness, and "prayed that he might die." He said, "It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!"

Now, in these two examples, neither of them did commit suicide nor did God grant their wish in their moments of desire. So it is a given that godly people's grief can become so profound, that death is something they desire. But perhaps it is the work of the Spirit in the hearts of such people that allows them the strength to continue on and persevere even in the midst of hardship.

One might argue that someone who is genuinely born-again may at various times desire death but never take that so far as to commit suicide because it is something so profound and unconscienable. But God's people are capable of murder. David indirectly murdered Bathsheba's husband. Paul consented to the murder of Stephen and was on his way to Damascus to seal the fate of more Christians in the same manner. In the end, both were forgiven of God.

What we think is so final and absolute about suicide is that we never know what happens on the other end or the condition of the heart of the person who does it. I don't know if I am convinced that it is unforgivable but it may be unforgivable in the sense that the person was of the heart and mind that never loved God and never had been chosen for eternal life.

Oct 2, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    ketch22 -

I agree with you that there is no place in scripture where God or any inspired writer of scripture expressly states that suicide is an unforgiveable sin.

Jesus said that all sins will be forgiven men except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. He said that in the context of the Pharisees accusing Him of casting out demons by Baalzebub. Jesus points out that the genuine activity of the Spirit of God is meant draw men to repentance. To accuse the Holy Spirit in the way Jesus describes is to be completely hostile towards what it is God is doing. This is a heart that is so unwilling to repent and see that he is guilty, that he will even go so far as to say that God is evil...which is what the Pharisees were in effect saying.

Now, I guess the question to ask is, what is the condition of the heart of a person who wants to commit suicide. In many examples in scripture, men of God wanted God to take their lives:

Jonah 4:1-11 - Jonah was so angry at God's display of mercy that he asked God to kill him, "for it is better for me to die than to live!" He repeated the same request to God on the next day.

I King 18:40 and 19:4- Elijah was in despair as he was being pursued by Jezebel, who was looking to kill him. Elijah fled for his life to Beersheba, went into the wilderness, and "prayed that he might die." He said, "It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!"

Now, in these two examples, neither of them did commit suicide nor did God grant their wish in their moments of desire. So it is a given that godly people's grief can become so profound, that death is something they desire. But perhaps it is the work of the Spirit in the hearts of such people that allows them the strength to continue on and persevere even in the midst of hardship.

One might argue that someone who is genuinely born-again may at various times desire death but never take that so far as to commit suicide because it is something so profound and unconscienable. But God's people are capable of murder. David indirectly murdered Bathsheba's husband. Paul consented to the murder of Stephen and was on his way to Damascus to seal the fate of more Christians in the same manner. In the end, both were forgiven of God.

What we think is so final and absolute about suicide is that we never know what happens on the other end or the condition of the heart of the person who does it. I don't know if I am convinced that it is unforgiveable but it may be unforgiveable in the sense that the person was of the heart and mind that never loved God and never had been chosen for eternal life.

Jakester...
    I see what you are saying, but would submit my opinion (I believe it to be fact, but others deem it opinion). I know it is possible for people, after submitting their hearts and lives to God, to fall into a funk so deep they become suicidal. They might have temporarily had a "Job" like setback that calls them to commit suicide. I don't believe God abandons them at this point if they are truly saved. Sin is sin and we are all capable... suicide is not a greater sin than lustful thinking of a woman walking by, or pride, or greed. Even Christians do this daily in our depraved state, even if we are saved. I am forgiven for all my sins, not all except suicide.

Why do you think suicide calls for somebody to not be truly saved? Can a saved person be depressed? Can a saved person still have pride and lie?
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Oct 2, 2008, 05:12 PM

ketch22 - it's not my position that someone who commits suicide cannot be saved. Actually, at this point I'm sort of uncertain as to why it would have to be true that someone who commits suicide cannot be saved... so in a sense I am in agreement with you but I am not as confident as you are in your position.

All the same, I appreciate your arguments and I am very sympathetic to what you are saying over what many others have already said; especially those who unequivocally state that suicide is an unpardonable sin when nowhere in scripture is that expressly stated.

Oct 2, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester View Post
    ketch22 - it's not my position that someone who commits suicide cannot be saved. Actually, at this point I'm sort of uncertain as to why it would have to be true that someone who commits suicide cannot be saved...so in a sense I am in agreement with you but I am not as confident as you are in your position.

All the same, I appreciate your arguments and I am very sympathetic to what you are saying over what many others have already said; especially those who unequivocally state that suicide is an unpardonable sin when nowhere in scripture is that expressly stated.
    I tend to think I know more than I do... but I am pretty convinced on this. It's good to know that there are others who don't add to scripture any preconceived notions of God's character. AMEN!
    kappa_exprt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceasefire View Post
    According to Christian beliefs, is suicide an unforgivable sin? Does it guarantee eternal separation from Jesus Christ?
    Suicide is cowardness. Its like crushing the flower that god has planted himself.

Jun 22, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kappa_exprt View Post
    Suicide is cowardness. Its like crushing the flower that god has planted himself.
    Sorry, this is simply not a good answer. Your analogy is quaint but doesn't paint the whole picture.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2010, 06:37 PM

1 John 1:7

... the blood of Jesus Christ, His son, cleanses us from ALL sin.

All means All. Every sin is covered under the blood if the person is a true believer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Suicide [ 22 Answers ]

Hello: Now don't go getting all soppy on me. I ain't about to cash in my chips any time soon. However, I DO want to be the one who decides when the time is right. Why shouldn't I be able to? I'm talking about doing this when my body tells me it's time, not because I'm depressed. Or,...

The Unforgivable Sin? [ 68 Answers ]

I know there are many different nominations and beliefs and opinions about the subject of sin. So here goes. Have any of you heard about the UNFORGIVABLE SIN? If you have exactly what is this unforgivable sin. At the same time I thought all sin can be forgiven? What is your take? Joe

Suicide [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I just read about this poor 85 year old lady who has lost control over her own life. What an undignified way to go! I wouldn't want to end it that way - and I'm not going to. I'll decide when it's over. Tell me why I should end up crapping in my pants. Do you crap your pants? ...

Unforgivable or Unpardonable Sin [ 20 Answers ]

Hi I was in church a few weeks ago and they where talking about the Unforgivable or Unpardonable Sin ! Now I have my own view's on this but would be intrested to hear other people's view regards this, do you agree yes or no that there is such a sin! "...an eternal sin... never forgiven."...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search