Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alexny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 06:50 PM
    How to ask for a raise?
    I've been at my job for over a year and feel like I should ask for a raise but I'm not sure how to go about it. Anyone have any good books or anything to help?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
    All you can do is ask, best case scenario, they say yes, worst case, they say no. You won't get anything unless you ask for it.

Good Luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 06:58 PM
    You name them the various ways you benefit the company. You explain how you have worked hard and have earned it
    bodybysam Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2008, 01:11 PM
    I just read something, and it taught me to get control over my mind and fear in situations like this. I read it in a book by James Ray - take a look at his new bestseller Read It | Harmonic Wealth | Attract the Life You Want | Financial, Relational, Mental, Physical and Spiritual I am sure you will find the answers that you seek there.

Sam, the JR fan
    hellobea Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Aug 5, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Consider evaluating your attitude also --- they'll be calling you on that once you ask for a raise.
    Mr_NO_BS Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Oct 31, 2008, 08:02 PM
    This is going to fly in the face of conventional wisdom. If you make $30,000 a year and you think you deserve to make $35,000, then don't bother asking for a raise. The point here is if you think your worth a little pay raise then you are just like everybody else asking for a little more money and if your like everbody else then why should you get a pay raise.

If you really are doing an exceptional job then ask your boss for an exceptional pay raise. Ask for a raise because you are doing a great job not because you need the money
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 10:59 AM

I'm not sure what industry you are in but I don't think this is the time to ask in most industries. I would wait until there's more confidence in the market and just hold tight for now and be glad you have a job.

If your company is very profitable and growing, and you can document your contribution to that growth, it would be acceptable to ask.

Today doing your job well and meeting the objectives of the job is enough to justify what you are being paid at this point, but if you're not bringing something additional (like profits) to the table, you don't have much of an argument in a tight economy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent raise [ 5 Answers ]

I have a couple and their daughter rent two bedrooms in my house since Dec 2006 at the rent $500.00 for each room. When can I raise the rent and what is the maximum percent can I increase ? Thanks.

Raise rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in DC. Own a house and rent out my 2nd bedroom in my house. He signed a month to month lease in Aug 2006. When can I raise the rent and how much? Someone told me since it's my house and he's renting a room, I can raise it whenever and however much. Checking to see what others say. ...

Raise the flange? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble deciding if I should raise my flange or not. I have just replaced my subfloor (due to leaking toilet) and I have now installed tile raising my floor approx 3/4 of an inch. The reason the toilet leaked in the first place is because the flange was too high and someone did not...

Can I raise my tub? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my basement shower with a tub. I have no idea though if I could just use the same drain and not raise the tub or not. So just in case, can I raise my tub, or would I have to put a 14" x 14" dap-thingy in for different drain piping? Appreciate any response, Paul

View more questions Search