Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    packfans Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Etiquette for neighbors
    My neighbors have very messy weeping willows along our shared property line. Who should be picking up all the limbs that fall every time the wind blows?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
    The person who owns the yard where they fall.

Seriously, can you imagine trying to identify every leaf that falls in your yard, tracking down the tree owner, and trying to make them pick them up?

I have not a single tree in my yard, yet, I'm the only yard on the block that has a fenced yard. Guess who ends up with ALL the leaves to remove every year.

But, I also know that some of those trees, block the afternoon sun, and keep my home much cooler than it would be without them.

It is the price you pay, to have your own place, if it bothers you that much, you can always move to an apartment. No yard, no raking, no neighbors with willow trees, and no privacy or place to call your own.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
    If the limbs of the trees are on your property you have the right to cut what is on your side. That may lessen the amount that you have to pick up.
    I have no trees in my back yard but my neighbors on both sides sure do and we have a huge amount to pick up each fall in addition to them being old and losing branches. So I feel your pain, but I am a tree hugger and would never want them removed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:12 PM
    You can of course trim back any tree on your side of the property. But if the limbs fall on your side you pick them up
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Unfortunately you have to pick up if dropped on your property, however instead of filling your bin with your neighbours garden waste, I'm sure it will give you great pleasure in returning all tree limbs and various bits of weeping willow to the neighbour in question.

This you have a perfect right to do as legally the bits of tree remain their property by law.

I'm sure after several returns, they will get the message and maybe have the tree trimmed to it's former glory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jewelry Etiquette [ 4 Answers ]

]Is it proper or improper to wear a pin on a suit as well as a necklace?

Table Etiquette [ 4 Answers ]

I'm wondering, what is proper table manners. Like the salad spoon and dinner spoon and stuff like that, can anyone give me a crash course?

Thank you card Etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got married, and have finally sat down to do all of my thank you notes. First I am doing the wedding shower thank you's. But I'm stumped! Should I send a thank you card to those who didn't give a gift? Also, we had an uninvited guest come who didn't bring a gift. Do I need to send...

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

Wedding Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My sister's daughter is getting married soon. Sister is widowed and dating a guy (for several months). Sister wants Date to sit with her in the first pew (Sister will be walked down the aisle to sit in first pew). Daughter says it is her wedding and she does not want date to sit in the first pew...

View more questions Search