Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leeseeandjoel Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

May 15, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Is there an between? While we wait? Sheol?
    I want to know what other believers ideas on this topic. Please answer this question only if you are a believer...
    Is there and between after we die? I mean while we wait for the coming of jesus christ.
    Or where do you think Jesus went after he died, but before the resurection, during those three days to minister?
    Or when the rich man who, in life would help Lazarus, could see him nesstled in
    Abraham's bosom. See like 16:19-26.
    What do you think Sheol is?
    Please I would really like to know what you think or if there is more scriptures relatiing that maybe I have overlooked
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 15, 2008, 11:18 AM
    I know that Jesus spent his time in hell when he died in between his resurection.. that's in the bible, but sorry I don't have a verse on hand.

I believe that when we die, we are just going to be "asleep" but it's going to feel like a blink of an eye.. in other words when we die, I think that everything will have passed and gone and the world will be over and we will be in front of jesus being judged, thousands of years may have passed, but it felt like nothing to us.. how the armegedeon falls into that I don't know.. maybe when we die, we will (after many many years perhaps) be put back on earth to live out the end times, or some people believe in the rapture.. it's just what people believe

May 15, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plonak
    I know that Jesus spent his time in hell when he died in between his resurection.. that's in the bible, but sorry I dont have a verse on hand.

I believe that when we die, we are just going to be "asleep" but it's going to feel like a blink of an eye.. in other words when we die, i think that everything will have passed and gone and the world will be over and we will be in front of jesus being judged, thousands of years may have passed, but it felt like nothing to us.. how the armegedeon falls into that I don't know.. maybe when we die, we will (after many many years perhaps) be put back on earth to live out the end times, or some people believe in the rapture.. it's just what people believe
    Thank you for your response..
    In luke however, it talks about them being conscious of where the were...
    Luke 16:22.. So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abrahams bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23.. and being in torments in Hades, he lifted his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Jazarus in his bosom. 24.. hen he cried and said Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.25.. but Abraham said , son, remember that in your life time you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 and besides all of this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot nor can those from there pass to us.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 15, 2008, 12:04 PM
    It's confusing!

May 15, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by plonak
    It's confusing!!
    Amen to that! Thanks... I guess some things we are not meant to know... or maybe all in God's great timing. I just can't help but think about it.. I have very specific reasons for why I am asking. The Lord has answered all questions I have for him thus far, but this one he simply led me to LUke and I still can not figure out. I guess this could be a chapter in my life not yet read... or a lesson he wants to teach not ready to be taught.? I'll pray about it and ask the Lord and eagerly await the answer. Thanks again... :rolleyes:
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

May 16, 2008, 03:50 PM
    There are some verses which have me believe that there is no waiting place or time. I believe that when we die we immediately go to God or hell; there is no in between.

During the crucifixion of Jesus, remember the thief. (Paraphrasing here) One said to Jesus, save us and yourself if you are Christ. The other who believed Jesus to be the Son of God rebuked the other thief saying we are being condemned justly, but Jesus hasn't done anything to be condemned. So the one who believed asked Jesus to remember him when he ascends to His Kingdom. And Jesus said to the thief who believed in Him...

Luke 23:43, "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise."

This is a small verse, but very straight forward. The thief who died was told by Jesus that he would be in paradise with Him that very day.

Here's another that has me believe the way I do.
    2 Corinthians 5:5 & 6, "Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit. Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
    2 Corinthians 5:8, "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord."
    To me these verses tell me that when we are at home in our bodies, meaning we are alive, we are absent from the Lord in heaven. But when we are absent from our bodies, meaning our body is dead, we are in the presence of the Lord. I don't get any indication of an in between with what Paul says here. It's pretty clear to me that the death of our bodies equals our soul being in the presence of the Lord.

Then in Philippians Paul states that he desires to die and be with Christ, but he also knows that God needs him to stay and preach the Word of God to the people. Paul says that death is gain for him because to truly live is to live with Christ...
    Philippians 1:21, "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."
    In the next two verses we read about Paul's desire to be with Christ, but he knows that he is still needed here on earth.
    Philippians 1:23 & 24, "For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ;which is far better: Nevertheless to abide in flesh is more needful for you."

My thoughts on this is if there is an in between, if Paul doesn't get to go straight to Jesus, why would he have such a desire to die so that he may dwell with Christ?

This is my belief and why I believe the way I do. Maybe it will help.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

May 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
    1 Pet 3:18-19
    18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
    19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
    (KJV)

I believe that while the body of Jesus was in the tomb, He was preaching to those souls in Paradise, not those in Hell. As you point out, they were both places of waiting, but separated. I believe that they were forced to wait until the Sacrifice of Jesus was complete before they could be ushered into the presence of God. I believe that the following passage indicates that Paradise was emptied when Jesus rose from the tomb, and believers no longer go there.

Matt 27:50-53
    50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
    51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
    52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
    53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
    (KJV)
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2008, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by leeseeandjoel
    I want to know what other believers ideas on this topic. Please answer this question only if you are a believer...
    Is there and between after we die?
    Yes.

I mean while we wait for the coming of jesus christ.
    Or where do you think Jesus went after he died, but before the resurection, during those three days to minister?
    Or when the rich man who, in life would help Lazarus, could see him nesstled in
    Abraham's bosom. See like 16:19-26.
    What do you think Sheol is?
    Please I would really like to know what you think or if there is more scriptures relatiing that maybe I have overlooked
    As a Catholic, I believe in Purgatory. The story in St. Luke 16: 19-26 shows a person, the Rich Man, who is in a place called hell. Yet the Rich Man has feelings of love for his family. Since feelings of love can't exist in the hell of the damned, then we believe he is in Purgatory.

Another prooftext for Purgatory is 1 Cor 3:10-15. Here, St. Paul says that those who have built their temple on the foundation of Jesus Christ will be tested by fire. If they have built with precious materials they will go to heaven. If they built with poor materials, they will also go to heaven but as by fire.

Another prooftext is Rev 20 where it says that some dead will rise but the others will sleep for 1000 years.

Apocalypse 20 5 The rest of the dead lived not, till the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

May 16, 2008, 10:53 PM
    1 Thessalonians 4:13 - Moreover, brothers, we do not want YOU to be ignorant concerning those who are sleeping [in death]; that YOU may not sorrow just as the rest also do who have no hope.

This clearly states that those in death are but asleep waiting the resurrection.

Ecclesiastes 9:5 - For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.

This shows that the dead are "unconscious" so there is no between.

Sheol -

The Hebrew word Sheol occurs in the Bible many times and describes it as "man's grave". This does not mean hell.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Jun 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Here are two excellent references:
    BIBLE STUDY MANUALS: SHEOL, GEHENNA, HADES AND THE AFTERLIFE - A BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVE
    http://www.geocities.com/dcheddie/life1.html

Hope they help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2008, 05:08 PM
    We have to understand that the body and spirit are two different things. We knonw that on the last day the body will rise from the dead. I am not sure of course that God, since he is God, is not over all things, our time and place, but also all time and place, So to those that go asleep, just like we do in the flesh, we don't know time when we sleep, but just awake without any feel of time.

For me, of course without any bibical proof, but with the idea of not limiting God with the idea of time and space, I believe we all, awake tomorrow with him, those that died 2000 years ago, and those that may die 1000 years in the future, wlil all awake in Christ tomorrow since the time frame means nothing to God
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 05:28 AM
    The new testament is pretty clear on the subject... we are absent from the body and present with the Lord. It does say( in 1 Peter I believe) that Jesus went to Hades but remember, before his death that is where everyone went. How could any of the old testament saints enter the presence of a Holy God? Jesus spoke of the great "gulf"in Hades, between the side of "torment" and the side of rest. He spoke this in a parable but he didn't make it up out of the blue... it IS an actual place. ALL of His parables were about things that COULD have actually taken place.. not some science fiction stuff. I believe when HE went there after His death, HE took the saints directly to the Father in Heaven. ONLY then could they be in the presents of a Holy God. Up to that point they had just covered their sins with the blood of animals... Jesus had redeemed them!! They were on their way to the FATHER. Whoo hoo... (sorry I get excited just thinking about it)

So, to answer your question IF you are a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and you are bought by his Blood,. you go straight to the throne of Heaven when you die. This is what the Bible teaches... the NEW TESTAMENT... and you will find all you need to know on the subject in Paul's writings.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    We have to understand that the body and spirit are two different things. We knonw that on the last day the body will rise from the dead. I am not sure of course that God, since he is God, is not over all things, our time and place, but also all time and place, So to those that go asleep, just like we do in the flesh, we don't know time when we sleep, but just awake without any feel of time.

For me, of course without any bibical proof, but with the idea of not limiting God with the idea of time and space, I beleive we all, awake tomorrow with him, those that died 2000 years ago, and those that may die 1000 years in the future, wlil all awake in Christ tomorrow since the time frame means nothing to God
    I'm a bit confused by your answer. Hmmm? Paul says to be absent from the Bible is to be present with the Lord. He also states in in Philipians 1:21... that to LIVE IS CHRIST and to DIE is GAIN. He was torn. He knew he needed to live, to teach and to continue to spread the WORD... but he had seen the LORD in GLORY and was caught up in the third Heaven. HE couldn't WAIT nor could we if we had seen what he had. If he were simply "asleep" I don't think he would see that as a GAIN since there was so much to be done to spread the word here on earth.

I don't think that I am limiting the Lord on time or space. But when Paul wrote to be absent from the Bible is to be present with the Lord... he meant it. When Jesus told the thief on the cross TODAY you will be with me in paradise... he meant TODAY.
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Jun 11, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT
    I'm a bit confused by your answer. hmmm? Paul says to be absent from the Bible is to be present with the Lord. He also states in in Philipians 1:21...that to LIVE IS CHRIST and to DIE is GAIN. He was torn. He knew he needed to live, to teach and to continue to spread the WORD...but he had seen the LORD in GLORY and was caught up in the third Heaven. HE couldn't WAIT nor could we if we had seen what he had. If he were simply "asleep" i don't think he would see that as a GAIN since there was so much to be done to spread the word here on earth.

I don't think that I am limiting the Lord on time or space. But when Paul wrote to be absent from the Bible is to be present with the Lord...he meant it. When Jesus told the thief on the cross TODAY you will be with me in paradise...he meant TODAY.

Absolutely!

Some people in their above posts keep mentioning "asleep" as the reason why they believe there is an in between. Asleep doesn't does not literally mean asleep even to the soul. You will find in the Bible that the words asleep are used to describe dead in the Old Testement as well as the New. It was because the people look like they were asleep. But what they are talking about here is their bodies.. NOT THEIR SOULS.

As I stated in my above post as well... God let's us know through Paul's writing that to be absent from the body is to be present with Our Lord! Amen! And I'm ready!!
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Jun 25, 2008, 08:07 PM
    To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. That's a verse, but I don't know where in the Bible you can find it. The Bible says no, if you are no longer in your body (physically dead) then you have to be with the Lord (if you're saved that is)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Before Jesus the dead went to a waiting place but now I believe that when you die you go directly where you are going because as Tadita said absent from the body. Also Eternity is not limited to time in any way.
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Jun 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
    Well when Jesus raised up Lazarus from the dead, Lazarus didn't go about telling everyone what it was like on the other side. He had just been "asleep" in death. There is no wisdom or knowledge or devising in Sheol. It's like being asleep--you don't know what else is going on in the room or the world when you are asleep. They just exist in God's memory until the last day when the Resurrection comes. The parable of the laborers in the vineyard, those who came late receiving the same wage as those who worked all day. The harder workers can't get two eternal lives, you know. So God will treat all His loyal ones the same, not some be in Heaven already while others must wait longer.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT
    The new testament is pretty clear on the subject...we are absent from the body and present with the Lord. It does say( in 1 Peter i believe) that Jesus went to Hades but remember, before his death that is where everyone went. How could any of the old testament saints enter the presence of a Holy God? Jesus spoke of the great "gulf"in Hades, between the side of "torment" and the side of rest. He spoke this in a parable but he didn't make it up out of the blue...it IS an actual place. ALL of His parables were about things that COULD have actually taken place..not some science fiction stuff. I believe when HE went there after His death, HE took the saints directly to the Father in Heaven. ONLY then could they be in the presents of a Holy God. Up to that point they had just covered their sins with the blood of animals.....Jesus had redeemed them!!!! They were on their way to the FATHER. Whoo hoo....(sorry i get excited just thinking about it)

So, to answer your question IF you are a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and you are bought by his Blood, ...you go straight to the throne of Heaven when you die. This is what the Bible teaches....the NEW TESTAMENT...and you will find all you need to know on the subject in Paul's writings.

You have done well in your explanation... Please allow me to add this as Point in Fact,

1 Thes 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

Asleep-Greek 2837- to cause to sleep, put to sleep

This is saying God brings those asleep with Christ... You only need ask yourself where did Christ go? The last verse also reinterates that fact, by saying, we that are alive: meaning us here on earth still or remaining when Christ returns,does not prevent those that are asleep to go with Christ.

The facts considering the gulf are very true until the final day. Revelation19:1 will also tell of those in heaven saying Alleluia.. Revelation 19:6 voice of a great multitude.. Revelation 19:14 the armies which were in heaven clothed in linen whites... How do we get linen whites as the bible tells us? By our good deeds... The good deeds don't get you into heaven, but they are a deciding factor to your rightousness and good standing with the Lord. Loving Christ and singing His praise to His glory... Alleluia!!

One more thing.. Our bodies return to dust just as God has told us.. We will never use the body that we vainly cling to here on earth.

1 Corinthians 15:20 tells of the beginning of that army who is with Christ..

1 Corinthians 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
    Become -Greek 1096-meaning to come into existence, begin to be, receive being of
    Firstfruits-G reek 536- persons superior in excellence
    Slept -Greek 2837 -to cause to sleep, put to sleep
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay
    One more thing.. Our bodies return to dust just as God has told us.. We will never use the body that we vainly cling to here on earth.
    Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou [art], and unto dust shalt thou return.

Psa 104:29 Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.

Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
    jammixmaster Posts: 282, Reputation: 15

Jul 1, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Though I am no longer a "believer" I once was so I will still answer this question. The bible gives no mention or foreshadowing of an "in between" or a limbo type realm. Those who are dead in Christ are just waiting, where is not known? Some say outside the Gate of Heaven, others say their souls are just floating around on earth, waiting. As a Wiccan I do believe in a limbo type place called the Shadowland, where the soul rests and gets its karmic slate "cleaned" before moving on to eternity in the Summerland. But that's from a Wiccan point of view.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using tub & tile caulk over existing new grout in between tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My contractor, has applied CeramaSeal tub & tile Caulk over our new existing grout lines between our 4x4 off white ceramic tiles in our shower floor. The reason he did this is because the no sand alabaster grout dried unevenly in color. Dark and light grout lines. He blames this on the grey...

Should I wait? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know something here if a man that says he loves you and wants to marry you says after 4years let don't see each other what do you and he said wait a year he will be back do wait or give up need help

To wait or not to wait, *confused* [ 15 Answers ]

Greetings. I hope to get some feedback and advice on the following situation. I met this girl through my room mate's brother over the summer. This girl was his rebound after he's GF left him. As the summer progressed, my room mate's brother got back with his ex after she wanting him back. ...

Should I wait? [ 9 Answers ]

Well see. There is this girl, Sarah. She beautiful and kind and gorgeous. I recently started to have feelings for her. I mean I've asked her "What would you say if i asked you out" before she did say yes. But that was a whole year ago. She likes this guy named Brad. Who is a real jerk to me but...

View more questions Search