Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 12:21 AM
    Firefox isn't working, and giving an odd prompt
    I try to use Firefox, and when I click on the shortcut, a window pops up that says:

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart the system.

Okay, now there is no Firefox window open, not that I can see anyway.

And I've restarted three times already. What do I do?
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 02:20 AM
    I tried doing the crtl alt delete... It wasn't even on the list.

I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and yet that prompt still comes up.
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

May 15, 2008, 03:57 AM
    1. Click start>click run type in msconfig and then press enter. Go to the start up tab and uncheck everything except your anti virus,click OK and reboot.

2. Run the clean up tools Security News from the net: Clean up tools to prevent people from tracing your internet surfing

3. Run a complete scan with free curing utility Dr.Web CureIt!
    Dr.Web CureIt! – download free anti-virus! Cure viruses, Best free anti-virus scanner!

And then run Firefox and let us know if it is giving problems.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 04:13 AM
    I used to get that a lot at work- it just meant I had to manually delete the .parentlock file. It was easy to do with a command promt but I don't know how you get it up when it isn't already set up with terminals.

Perhaps somebody here would know?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:53 AM
    When you use Cntrl-Alt-Del and get the Task Manager, click on the tab that says Processes. Then look for anything that says Firefox, such as Firefox.exe. Highlight it and then hit End Process.
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    When you use Cntrl-Alt-Del and get the Task Manager, click on the tab that says Processes. Then look for anything that says firefox, such as firefox.exe. Highlight it and then hit End Process.
    Please read above, I already said that I tried that and it did not work.
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by invisibleman_productions
    1. Click start>click run type in msconfig and then press enter. Goto the start up tab and uncheck everything except your anti virus,click ok and reboot.

2. Run the clean up tools Security News from the net: Clean up tools to prevent people from tracing your internet surfing

Dr.Web CureIt! – download free anti-virus! Cure viruses, Best free anti-virus scanner!

And then run firefox and let us know if it is giving problems.
    THANK YOU, I will try that and get back to you on if it worked or not.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Please read above, I already said that I tried that and it did not work.
    I just wanted to make sure that you didn't only try Applications. Sometimes it won't show up in Applications but it will show up in Processes.
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    I just wanted to make sure that you didn't only try Applications. Sometimes it won't show up in Applications but it will show up in Processes.
    I know, I tried both.
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:33 PM
    1. Click start>click run type in msconfig and then press enter. Goto the start up tab and uncheck everything except your anti virus,click ok and reboot.

I don't know what all the abbreviations and short names are for, I don't know which is my anti-virus.
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 09:54 PM

It didn't work.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Firefox did not shut down normally

The most common cause is Firefox not shutting down normally. It might still be running in the background (even though its not visible). Restart your computer to see if the problem goes away.

If simply restarting didn't help, it may be that Firefox previously exited without deleting the lock file.

Restart your computer. After it restarts, don't try to start Firefox.

Open the profile folder.

For information on finding your profile folder, see Profiles.
    Profiles

Delete the lock file parent.lock.parentlock

If you attempt to delete the parent.lock file and receive the error, "Cannot delete parent: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable", restart the computer and run the error-checking tool Chkdsk (Windows 2000, XP) or ScanDisk (Windows 98, ME)You need to use a free utility like Onyx or Maintain to turn on visibility for invisible files to show .parentlock. This file contains no information, and deleting it will unlock the profile.You will need to turn on the display of hidden files. In the File Browser window, select the View menu and make sure Show Hidden Files is checked.
    Vision Expert

May 15, 2008, 10:39 PM
    I have gotten as far as deleting the parentlock file. It won't let me. I don't know what chkdsk is.
    Vision Expert

May 16, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Ok, so I figured it out, and did everything stated. I'm still getting "Cannot delete parent: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Command prompt [ 4 Answers ]

I have looked into the windows/system32 folder and the files ftp, ipconfig, ping are there... why is the command prompt not recognising these commands then? Could someone give me some input to get these commands working in my command prompt?

Firefox not working! [ 5 Answers ]

Im not sure what this is but it is blocking me from loading web sites on fire fox and my IE freezes when I open it any help?. HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2875180750-2557437428-1547615657-1007\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\iexplore.exe!=w=1

How to Copy the contents in command prompt? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have given a command in command prompt (say ant) and then it will be executing the files. My question is how to copy that which is in command prompt to a file say notepad. While I am running autobuilder\ant, it will be showing all that in command prompt and the process takes hours. I want...

Yahoo Prompt password [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I have enternet explorer v 6.0 and winxp with sp2 with latest update And when I try to login by my Yahoo ID it always promt me enter the password again, or ask me to enter my id and password And when I login to my group and try to see anything it always asking me about my password. This...

MS DOS prompt screen [ 6 Answers ]

How do you get onto your MS DOS prompt screen on Windows XP? I'm trying to get a dot address for a domain name.

View more questions Search