Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hopelessly in d Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Co-signer blues
    My monster, I mean mother-in-law, co-signed on a car loan for me 1 1/2 years ago. I have never been late on a payment, but now she wants to take her name off or take the car, because she is mad that she doesn't see her son anymore (and that's because she's crazy). My husband and I are very upset and don't know what to do?! :( :confused:
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hopelessly in d
    My monster, I mean mother-in-law, co-signed on a car loan for me 1 1/2 years ago. I have never been late on a payment, but now she wants to take her name off or take the car, because she is mad that she doesn't see her son anymore (and that's because she's crazy). My husband and I are very upset and don't know what to do??!!:( :confused:

The legal advice is she cannot force you to take her name off the note. She can ask and threaten but she cannot legally force the issue.

Was she a monster and crazy when you needed a co-signer or did that come later?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2008, 06:41 AM
    She can do neither. She does not own the car and as long as you have not defaulted on the loan she has no legal recourse to take the car.

Taking her name off the loan is not up to you. Only the lender can do that and they are not likely to because it makes their ability to collect harder. You could try and refinance the loan without her.

But I would say to her, I'm sorry you are upset, but there is nothing we can do, the bank won't remove your name. And, since you don't own the car, trying to take it would be stealing.

May 15, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Thank you so much for your advice. No, she wasn't a monster at that time. She freaked out a couple weeks before our wedding and has really never stopped. She has some major issues.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2008, 04:46 PM
    As long as her name is not on the title or registration, you have nothing to worry about.

The lender will not take her off the loan, period.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 05:17 PM
    You received very good info, she is basically making threats to try and upset you.

May 15, 2008, 07:26 PM
    What if her name is on the title, too? We financed it through Toyota.

May 15, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by progunr
    As long as her name is not on the title or registration, you have nothing to worry about.

The lender will not take her off the loan, period.
    Her name is o the title, also, but it is named as either/or. So do I have to worry about that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2008, 06:15 AM
    If her name is on the title, especially as an either or, then you have troubles. This means that either one of you can act as owner of the car. Therfore she can take the car and it wouldn't be stealing. She can even sell the car legally. I would look into seeing if you can change the title without her approval.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 16, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hopelessly in d
    Her name is o the title, also, but it is named as either/or. So do I have to worry about that?

That means either you OR she can make the decision about selling the car, driving the car, registering the car - you are joint owners.

Think of a joint bank account - both our names are on the account. I can take out all the money or you can take out all the money. It's joint money. That's how your title is held.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me and co-signer [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question. I recently got an auto-loan with my friend co-signed for me, since my credit wasn't good enough to get a regular loan. Supposedly, I was in the prime and my friend is co-signer... which I don't really understand what they meant by me being prime... Anyway, I have no...

Getting out of being a co-signer [ 6 Answers ]

My wife has co-signed for a friend of 15+ years and just had a falling out. What can WE do to get my wife off the rental agreement. Oh, BTW, her friend would not have been able to get this apartment had it not been for my wife co-signing for her. Please help.

Garnishments and signer only [ 1 Answers ]

I received a garnishment on a customer and the accounts they are on show this person as a signer on the account. Am I able to take funds if they are a signer only or do they have to be an owner on the account?

Rights to Co-Signer [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question about the rights of a co-signer. I am looking to get about a $100,000 first time home buyers loan. My father wants to be a co-signer on the loan. I know that if I can't pay the mortgage off, he will be the one to take on the bill. However, what other rights would he have to...

View more questions Search