Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gr8Mate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Husband Signed My Name on Mortgage w/o My Knowledge or Consent
    I live in VA. In Dec 2005, my realtor husband signed my name on a VA commercial property mortgage w/o having power of attorney. All of the persons present at the settlement had a vested interest in completing the transaction: my husband, his business partner & wife (also the titling agent) who jointly owned the property, and the small community bank president who considered getting this substantial mortgage a coup for his bank. I learned about the mortgage in late 2007 because my husband fell behind on mortgage payments that ended up on my credit record.

My husband's business failed and we're struggling on my salary alone. We can't sell the property because we're upside down. We need to invest some money in retrofitting the property to make it viable for a commercial tenant. The bank is willing to refinance for a longer term at a lower interest rate, but, of course, I must sign the mortgage documents.

I want to know what my recourse is with the existing mortgage. Can I press the bank to remove my name from the existing mortgage? Will the bank then pursue my husband and, perhaps, seize our joint assets (e.g. our home) to satisy the loan? Will my husband be criminally charged for signing my name w/o power of attorney? It seems to me that the other parties (the titling agent & bank president, now deceased) are equally culpable.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2008, 04:04 PM
    It would appear under VA law that when either spouse of a legally married couple enters into any type of debt, that either party can be held liable for that debt.

If debt was incurred prior to the marriage, the spouse would not be liable for that debt.

Even if he didn't sign your name, you could still be held liable for the debt.

I am not an attorney, and you may be better off talking to one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2008, 06:23 PM
    To follow this up, how long ago did you find out he did this, there would be a statue of limitation on the criminal part of the crime on this.

You could go against the bank and file a complaint with the banking commission and with the VA and with the Attorney General.

If there was fraud done ( and it was) it may actually void the loan since all parties to it were aware. Now this could cause legal problems for all the paties,

But in all cases your husband will end up being liable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband signed off rights 11 years ago for adoption. [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I are in a legal mess. He signed off rights to his son eleven years ago so that the step father could adopt. Now in December 07 he received a summons to court for child support. Apparently the adoption never went through, she got divorced and now wants support. He is already paying...

Signed a Lease guy who didn't own apt, Mortgage fraud also involved [ 7 Answers ]

Where to begin :confused: A roommate and I co-signed a lease in mid Sept for a condo in a high-rise. The "owner" I signed the lease with and gave first, last months rent and security deposit (all in all equalling 3 months rent) - well it turns out he already sold the place 2 weeks before I...

Can my husband adopt our kids w/out biological father's consent? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I'm wondering if it's possible that a judge/court would terminate parental rights without the father's consent, so that my husband could adopt my two children. The biological father has not seen them in 3 1/2 years by his own choice (his family does come visit, we're only 3 hrs. away), but...

Ex husband signed son over to state [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is one for everyone, I'm lost and don't know what to do. About 2 1/2 years ago, I moved my ex-husband and son to north Idaho so I could be closer to my son. Well, my ex-husband wound up marrying a psychotic women about 6 months later. A little bit less than 2 months later, I wasn't allow...

Can I remove my name from a mortgage I signed in good faith with witness's [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to remove my name from a mortgage which is solely in my name. I signed the mortgage for a good friend who stated he would make the payments. He in turn was to remortgage the property within 8 months. Naturally he paid for the first 5 months then stopped paying and never...

View more questions Search