Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keely3780 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
    removing dark hair color
    hello everyone,
    I'm hoping someone will be able to help me cos my hairs driving me mad! I used to have bleach blond hair until last year when I died it mid brown at the hairdressers, since then I've bin getting it done regularly n now its really dark brown that also has a red color in it and I hate it. I live in england so I can't get none of the things that you talk about like the loreal color zap and prell etc but I'm really desperate to somehow fade my color to light brown minus the red. My natural hair color is light ash brown n I'd like to get as close to that as possible. I've bin told by a friend that if I mix peroxide with shampoo it will fade it faster but I'm not really sure how to do this, do I mix a little bit of the peroxide or do I need to mix the bleach powder with it too? I've bought some peroxide that says its 30 volume 9%, if anyone could advise me I'd be so grateful x x x
    p.s I think this forum is brilliant I love reading all your questions.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 27, 2006, 01:30 AM
    Keely, bleaching your hair may turn it brassy. You need to go to the salon so they can make your hair lighter by using a color remover. Remember that ash based colors will cancel out unwanted red tones. Therefore, your stylist might use an ash base color with a higher volume peroxide to give you a light ash brown color. Or, they will remove the dark color from your hair, then apply the correct color.

Feb 27, 2006, 02:43 PM
    I can't really afford the hairdressers at the moment that's why I'm desperate for a solution. If I bought an ash brown hair colour could I add more peroxide to it myself to lift it more cos I put a light ash brown on it last night and it did nothing at all ? And if I put on a color remover would it strip all the color out of my hair so I'd be blond again or would it leave it red? I'm very grateful for all your help prettynpetite1 x x x
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 28, 2006, 12:44 AM
    I understand that you can't afford to go to the salon, but doing the color on your own can be tricky. Most women who color their hair at home usually end up with hair disasters, and it will be more expensive to get it fix.

Color removers basically break down the dyes and gently remove it from the hair. If you use a color remover, you can apply a light ash brown color.

Mar 13, 2006, 10:20 AM
    does anyone know what 30 volume oxidant is? X x
    COURTfacebaby Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 12:01 PM

I have the same problem.
    & I still don't have the answer,
    I went bleach blonde, well atcually it went yellow :| lol
    And then I looked up on websites, and apparently you have to put your reds back in to make brown
    So I dyed my hair a dark red, and then added a dark brown.
    Now it's a really dark red with a tint of brown, In the light its purple.
    So what I'm doing, is just washing my hair with conditioner and shampoo, every time I shower so it comes out quicker,
    And when its kind of gone, I'm going to put a Dark brown back in.
    But I'm just worried that the red bits will still be in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Removing Dark Hair Color [ 33 Answers ]

I have colored my hair at home for the last year. It has gotten almost black and I want a more medium brown. My 3 inch roots are the way I want my color but I'm getting anxious about the rest of it. I have read about all kinds of home remedies... prell, dawn dish det. etc. they just don't seem to...

Prell method of removing semi-permanent color [ 8 Answers ]

Three days a go I dyed my medium, dark brown hair with a black semi-permanent dye (lasts 28 shampoos) and it turned way too black. I tried washing it out with a clarifying shampoo and the Prell method of removal (put it on my dry hair, threw cap over it and blow dried it on hot every now and then,...

How come my sump pump pit smells & the water is dark [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my laundry room has started to smell recently. I took the cover off my sump pump & it smells really bad, so I poured some water in it, about 4 hours latter water came out of my floor drain in my bsmt. And partially flooded my bsmt. How is that possible since the floor drain is tied...

Too dark of color [ 2 Answers ]

OK.. so on Saturday morning I dyed my hair a light/medium brown and put highlights in it. Of course my boyfriend told me the highlights look orangy.. so me being the genius that I am :D.. decided to buy DARK BROWN hair dye and dye it.. It came out SO bad.. it was streaky and diffferent colors and...

View more questions Search